Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Autothrottle for the flight1 atr

Guest allcott

The Flight 1 ATR is already equipped with the autothrottle found on the actual aircraft! Allcott

Guest DreamFleet

"Landings are so hard on the ATR."Really????When we modeled the ATR we flew their Level D simulator many times, and I found the ATR to be not much different than flying / landing a large Cessna 172! Heck, I even landed it manually with an engine failed!You don't need an autothrottle on it, you just need some basic flying skills. It is not a difficult plane to land at all, unless you are expecting automation to do it all for you. ;-)Sorry, but I just have to tell it like it is.I take it you have a real pilot's license, Alex?No offense, but after a while, especially with a plane like the ATR, I do wonder when folks speak about the need for an autothrottle, and make mention of it being "hard" to land.Of course, I always get flamed because I do not know what I am talking about, as do most real pilots with 30+ flying years under their belts when speaking at FS forums!The ATR is not the best-selling regional turboprop because it is hard to fly or land!C'mon, give us a break, will ya'?Any pilot worth his certificate can fly a plane without an autothrottle (including a 747), and can easily land an ATR under average conditions.No offense, but you just need some real experience piloting a plane, as opposed to having automation doing it for you.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest allcott

Perhaps reading the manuals might?The autothrottle does NOT only control the pitch, it also commands torque settings based on the flight mode selected. If you haven't got that bit right then you MUST spend more time with the manuals and the tutorials.This is one of the easiest aircraft to land when you FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE. Set a power (torque) setting dependant on landing weight, set flaps, correct pitch and speed. Land. Nothing more to it than that. If you can land the Caravan, you can land the ATR. The manual includes tutorial flights and there is even a piloting section on the Flight1 forum. As you have only just purchased this aircraft and are not a real pilot you should allow yourself MUCH more time to master the package before asking for changes to make it easier for you! If you can't or won't then perhaps you just bought the wrong thing? no harm done, because there is a refund policy at Flight 1, but this is one of the most complex packages for flight sim out there. If you haven't got the desire to learn it then its best to get rid of it. It is impossible to add another autothrottle to the aircraft - so much of it is coded outside of the basic FS commands so you'd mess up the entire addon.Allcott

Guest jennifer

It always surprises me when I read people asking for more automation in FS aircraft. I would have thought that the more there is to do and think about and skill to be excercised in flying an aircraft the more popular it would be, but the threads on AVSIM prove otherwise. Clearly a gap between my fantasy and reality. EDITED: for clarity

He's really trying, but it's difficult. FYI, he's been asking on the ATR forum for tips and help on landing the ATR. I tried to provide some, but he needs practice is all. He's probably use to autolanding like his sig suggests with the PMDG. If he really is 15, then give him a break, jeez.I've been flying payware for about 4 years, and I still found the ATR tricky at first. Turboprops are difficult in FS because the throttle is so sensitive. The ATR is absolutely perfect in every way, and I find it easier to land than other planes I have, but it is different in how it handles for sure.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest allcott

It's not at all difficult if one knows the appropriate speeds, power settings and flap limitations and settings, gear extension speeds and when to deploy them. All of which is in the manual! It is PERFECTLY possible to come out of the `notch` at 12,000 feet, set circa 25% torque power setting and then, using a combination of flying skill and appropriate flap and gear selections at the appropriate times, land the aircraft without ever touching the throttles until retarded for touchdown.Not only have I done it, I have seen a 12-year old do it. But he had read the manuals. And a 75-year old. Who hadn't (but who had 10,000 commercial hours in turboprops and jets so he has an excuse!) :DAge is no excuse. If you buy a sophisticated addon you should approach it in a sophisticated manner or not bother in the first place. Allcott

The best tip one can give, besides practice, is being easy with the controlls. Even small changes can have great effects.Can't say that it's difficult to fly the ATR. It's even easy to fly with an enginge out if you trim the ailerons correctly.And I don't have a pilots license either.

Guest jennifer

I just don't think resorting to an unrealistic autolander in the ATR is going to encourage you to try to land it in the intended way. Something that just occurred to me is that there is a setting in FS which allows you to slide the level of realism from easy to difficult or something like that. I've no idea whether this would help with the ATR but maybe you should give that a go. Start at the easy end and as you improve move to the realistic end.

Yeah, keep at it, in a lot of ways the creame of the crop like the PMDG 737, the ATR and the LDS 767 are easier to fly than the rest.They are complicated, yes, but once you get the hang of it, they never let you down, always perform the same way without erratic failures.So keep trying, 3 or 4 attempts will probably get you there!

ngxu_banner.png

Guest MattNW

>Landings are so hard on the>ATR.>>Alex>They are??? I've found it one of the easiest to land/fly by hand.

Guest MattNW

I understand perfectly now that I know he's 15. Been there done that. You want to just jump in at the top and start "doing". Unfortunately the world doesn't work that way. My advice to anyone just starting in FS is to start little and work your way up. This is a simulator not a toy. It copies the real world and in the real world you have to start at the bottom and do some work to get to the top.Ranco1, I'd suggest you go back to the Learning Center and the lessons. Learn the feel of a good approach. It's a lot harder in the sim because you don't really have a "feel" but you can still learn what a good approach looks like and get an idea of what is happening. It's a different type of flight from take off and level flight. You are working within the low end of the flight envelope so a lot of your inputs are different. Best practice I had for landings when I was taking lessons was slow flight. Slow the airplane down, full flaps and hold it just above a stall. When you get so you can handle it straight and level it's time to try descending. Use your throttle to control your glide slope. Pitch for airspeed.Start with the Cessna or another small single engine and practice many many approaches and landings until you can do it in your sleep. Now try a larger aircraft. Once you learn the basics of landing you will find any aircraft much easier to land.