Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Just tried the demo, 172 feels overpowered and scenery not impressed.

Will keep trying it, as I said its great that they make a demo, I stopped flying Xplane 10 a year ago, used to be my favorite , just started to get bored with it and like Prepar 3 D more.

With ORBX terrain , its so accurate its good to train to go to some real airstrips (backcountry ones)

It's always been my P.O. that if anybody posts a forum thread, with ...."convince me why I should buy this after the demo...", it's truly a redundant post.  They are really posting, that they won't fly the sim, because of no personal wow-factor experienced,...and are not looking for opinions, as to why they should.  If someone for themselves does not see a user-case model at the first...than the entire post seems to me, to be redundant.

• Upvote 7

I tried the demo for a few weeks.  About gave up on XP11 till I figured out how to get rid of the haze.  I was not impressed with the demo.

I've played sims since Flight Sim 2.1 on a 3.5" floppy.  Loved FS9, but that damned money pit FSX burned me out with the constant tweaking and gave up on the hobby about 4 years ago.  I had P3Dv2.5 and never even installed it.... A few months ago I finally installed P3Dv2.5, and realized I really do miss the hobby and purchased P3Dv4.

A few days ago my wife surprised me with Aerofly FS2 for my birthday, tried it for 70 minutes and was bored to tears, so I refunded it and got XP11... My wife hasn't seen anything but the back of my head since I got XP11.  I can't leave it alone :)

I think that for anyone who really wants a good opinion about what a sim can do they should go and watch some Youtube videos. I'd avoid the mainstream streamers such as Froogle, Matt Davies etc, as these channels can be very biased, and instead just look at what users are posting (There are some amazing videos being produced in X-Plane, AFS and P3D, and most will list what addons they used). 

...but I agree with Mitch. Nobody can convince somebody who has already convinced themselves. If your current sim works for you, then stick with it (Or install both and cheat on your wife :biggrin:)

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

It's always been my P.O. that if anybody posts a forum thread, with ...."convince me why I should buy this after the demo...", it's truly a redundant post.  They are really posting, that they won't fly the sim, because of no personal wow-factor experienced,...and are not looking for opinions, as to why they should.  If someone for themselves does not see a user-case model at the first...than the entire post seems to me, to be redundant.

It's a borderline troll kind of post. Trying to change someone opinion is futile. He should stick with P3D and be happy....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Hmm, how do you get rid of the haze?  I have not figured that out.  But then again when I look out the windows on any of my real life commercial flights, XP11 is the closest to the real thing to me (unless my vision is flaw and distorted).  I am not a real world pilot, so any reference to real world flight behavior to me has little value.  What I do value is how is the sim flight experience gives me as to what I can feel being in the passenger seat of the real life commercial flight, so that's what I use to compare.  I have been an FSX user, P3D v1 to 3.4, recently tried out P3Dv4 but asked for a refund while I wait for the final cost of that option.  To me the whole FSX and its derivatives are just not real enough for me, plus the microstutters drove me nuts.  My system is pretty old and handle XP11 just fine.  I can't say the same about P3D franchise though, as I can't keep up with the PC HW arm race.  Moving to P3Dv4 means hundred dollars more of add-ons upgrade and license, then thousands more in HW cost.  What about the thousands I have spent todate for FSX/P3D?  And why should I spend even more? It's becoming absurd.  It's kinda bizarre that the XPlane forum keeps being visited by folks that must declare that XPlane falls short.  I don't see this in FSX or P3D forum.  I think XP11 simplified the hurdle to get used to the XPlane way quite alot, yet people still complains, almost like they have to post to convince them to not ever try XP again!  LOL ,Peace people, take your favorite sim and stick with it :anonymose:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Hmm, how do you get rid of the haze?

That's a good question. I'm a major Microsoft f-a-n boy from way back, and I love my Prepar3d v4, but lately I've been using X-plane 11, and starting to think it is a serious contender. So much so that I'm planning on extending my next scenery projects to include XP11.

To me, although it didn't initially grab me compared to P3D, it does make for a hell of a realistic flying experience, including the natural view out the window. But I am very much aware that some places I fly are renowned for beautiful crisp and clear weather, and I've never really seen anything like this in X-plane, it always seems filtered through the haze.

1 hour ago, toprob said:

But I am very much aware that some places I fly are renowned for beautiful crisp and clear weather, and I've never really seen anything like this in X-plane, it always seems filtered through the haze.

I asked about sky in an earlier post here "XP11 Noob, Questions" and got a good answer.  As for visibility distance, it can be set with a slider, to me 25 miles looks about right for VFR.

This online manual does a nice job of explaining settings and sliders to get a smooth running experience (also confirmed my suspicions that I need to upgrade my GPU).

http://x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/

2 hours ago, toprob said:

That's a good question. I'm a major Microsoft f-a-n boy from way back, and I love my Prepar3d v4, but lately I've been using X-plane 11, and starting to think it is a serious contender. So much so that I'm planning on extending my next scenery projects to include XP11.

To me, although it didn't initially grab me compared to P3D, it does make for a hell of a realistic flying experience, including the natural view out the window. But I am very much aware that some places I fly are renowned for beautiful crisp and clear weather, and I've never really seen anything like this in X-plane, it always seems filtered through the haze.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

2 hours ago, Loose Rudder said:

i've just tried the demo and have been left equally un-impressed. It feels like a kids arcade game. The problem is that to get acceptable performance in XP11 it seems, you need to either have a GTX 1080TI 64 Gb vram loaded GPU, or accept horrible low fps. 10 if your'e lucky. Turning down all the sliders and you're left with 20 fps at best but with mush to look at.

Using a 3.5 ghz quad core and GTX 560, i get much better visuals with FSX (which I dislike) and better performance.  

You need to get a little realistic about your expectations. You are using a graphics card that was released over five years ago that has the absolute minimum requirement of VRAM and you are surprised it plays an 11 year old game better than a modern, few months old 64 bit simulation. I run X-Plane 11 beautifully with an i5 4690K clocked to 4.3ghz, Nvidia 970 and 16GB Ram. It utterly blows FSX out of the water both on visuals, performance and dynamics. Moral of the story, you want a modern sim get modern hardware.

• Upvote 2

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

LOL.  
"Kids arcade game..."
"Scenery leaves me unimpressed..."
"I prefer OrbX..."
Consistently getting >30+fps on 32GB of RAM, a 980ti and 7700K

I'll just leave this "arcade game" screenshot here.  And I didn't even have to pay anyone for it.
Screenshot_57.thumb.jpg.989b7367a048832a60a209c664cc20b2.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Loose Rudder said:

Using a 3.5 ghz quad core and GTX 560, i get much better visuals with FSX (which I dislike) and better performance.  

You're also comparing XP11 to a 10 year old flight sim, with no PBR, that would never run on max settings while using the best hardware available at the time.  

• Upvote 1

On 2017-07-02 at 3:48 AM, toprob said:

Hi,

You can adjust the visibility with 3jFPS-wizard by jörn-jören jörensön if you want less haze. You can find it on X-plane.org.

When using it, you also get better fps. I've been using it since it was released and it really works great. And best of all - it's free. 

I have no problems at all with haze in XP11. Of course, xEnviro adds haze with limited visibility to mirror real weather conditions - that's ok.

Try it - if you're not happy with it just delete it from your HD.

Regards,

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

LOL.  
"Kids arcade game..."
"Scenery leaves me unimpressed..."
"I prefer OrbX..."
Consistently getting >30+fps on 32GB of RAM, a 980ti and 7700K

I'll just leave this "arcade game" screenshot here.  And I didn't even have to pay anyone for it.
Screenshot_57.thumb.jpg.989b7367a048832a60a209c664cc20b2.jpg

"Dang, that arcade game looks good...where can you buy it?".... ;)

29 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

"Dang, that arcade game looks good...where can you buy it?".... ;)

Ah, see...you don't have to buy payware quality Ortho's for X Plane.  A video tutorial and about 10 minutes per region is all it takes.  ;)