Sign in to follow this  
jacksonpage9

Will this PC run FSX well?

Hi,

I'm buying this PC and was wondering if it will run FSX-SE well with all its addons.

Specs:

Intel 7th gen i7 7700hq at 2.8 ghz

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070

16 GB of RAM

Thanks,

Jackson

From spec that you just listed, Yes, you can play FSX smoothly. Intel i7 7700hq is one of the most new processor right now with the capability of 3.8GHz with hyperthreading also NVidia GTX 1070 is a very good graphic cards with a lot of clocks and vram and 16gb RAM is also very good. Unless you want to go really high-end this looks like a good choice if you have the money. You can run a lot of add-ons without trouble

Anyway, intel i7 7700hq have 3.8GHz not 2.8 GHz probably typo there

Cheers!

That PC will probably run the new X-Plane 11 with almost all the bells & whistles enabled. ;)

What I learned recently while reinstalling FSX, is that you just can't run it with everything maxed even on a bleeding-edge PC. There's very important entries missing from the FSX.CFG file and some (at least with the Steam edition) that are woefully inappropriate to the point that they almost make the sim dysfunctional. There's an excellent optimization PDF here on Avsim that specifically discusses settings that will benefit the newer gen i7 CPUs. Wish I could give you the link for it, but I only found it by googling. I'd recommend doing a search here for it.

8 hours ago, Kronovan said:

That PC will probably run the new X-Plane 11 with almost all the bells & whistles enabled. ;)

What I learned recently while reinstalling FSX, is that you just can't run it with everything maxed even on a bleeding-edge PC. There's very important entries missing from the FSX.CFG file and some (at least with the Steam edition) that are woefully inappropriate to the point that they almost make the sim dysfunctional. There's an excellent optimization PDF here on Avsim that specifically discusses settings that will benefit the newer gen i7 CPUs. Wish I could give you the link for it, but I only found it by googling. I'd recommend doing a search here for it.

I agree that if you want better performance go for x-plane 11, my laptop is just not strong enough for x-plane 11 so i stayed at fsx se lol

Well, I really hate being the voice of descent here, but laptops, even the one the OP is looking at, often don't have the internal bandwidth to run any of the ESP based flight sims very well.  Will it run it?  Yes, certainly, but I'm not sure if it will run it with payware airliners, payware scenery with decent FSX graphics settings.

Also, someone mentioned overclocking the processor on that laptop, but I don't believe it's possible - usually not possible on laptops (few exceptions).

ESP based flight sims (FSX, FSX:SE, P3D) really need a desktop if you're going to run high end payware airliners along with payware scenery/airports.  Sure, if you only want to mess around with general aviation aircraft at default airports - then YES, that rig should run it just fine.

A note on the graphics on the laptop while we're at it - it's not a gaming laptop so the graphics card" is really an emulator.  One can compare the size of a GTX1080 Graphics Card to the size of the entire laptop and that will pretty much give you a capability comparison.

So to wrap this up... if you're entry level into Flight Sim and not looking to fly high-end, then yep, you should do fine, otherwise you should look at a desktop.

My very best wishes!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.