Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Small plane crash on major freeway in Southern California

Dang..... looks like the pilot almost pulled it off. :sad:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A C310 was leaving KSNA to TRM according to FlightAware, news reports two people onboard with injuries, so hopefully no fatalities....sad story!

I heard a brief audio clip, right engine failed after T/O....hope the couple are OK.  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

T/O or landing? It's a little confusing from the news report. With the 310 and engine failure on t/o requires immediate corrective action or you can easily lose control. That makes more sense that the speculation that they were landing - losing an engine on landing they should have been able to continue the approach.

Glad the pilot and passenger are ok. Waste of a good 310 though.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Trying to return to the field after losing the right engine on takeoff, seems like with correct C310 single engine out procedure there shouldn't of been a problem, two people onboard and both in serious but stable condition. A mayday call was made and the pilot seems very panicked, not a voice of someone who had the situation under control. Will be curious to read the NTSB report. Wishing them the best with their recovery. Very sad!

Martin

Sadly an all to common occurrence.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Cameras are everywhere, now......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

One of the most comforting feelings about flying transport category airplanes is thst when you lose one on takeoff or right at v1, you know your going to climb at a good rate.

Not a luxury with small twins.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

The plane apparently clipped a truck as well. The driver only has a bruised elbow.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I personally knew two CFI's  that were killed in separate crashes in Florida in a 310, with engine failure on takeoff. In that aircraft, the purpose of the second engine is to fly you to the scene of the crash. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Milviz had spent weeks working with a 310 pilot on engine out behavior , its one of the things simulation is well adapted to training for , I realize that getting a twin rating requires having practiced engine out procedures but emergency situations require a calm reasoning that's not a natural reaction to stress , its only through repetition that training overcomes our tendency towards panic.

Simulation has its place , IFR training , Instrument navigation in 0 visibility , stall recovery and emergency situations like the pilot in question had , that wasn't an emergency landing , it was a crash , from what I could see he stalled out ,  the prop wasn't feathered .

Not enough time in sim .

Needless to say without all the facts, since it will have to be the subject of an AAI to determine those, it's difficult to say how well or badly the pilot did; we don't know the extent of the mechanical issues the pilot was having to deal with. So of course, as with all incidents and how the people involved react, it is easy to judge these from the comfort of a chair. Nevertheless, even without those facts in our possession, one thing we can definitely say is that, since both occupants of the aircraft appear to have survived and only one person on the ground received very minor injuries, then even taking into account luck, the end result turned out pretty well. Part of that appears to be that the aircraft seems to have burst its tanks upon impact and dumped almost all of the fuel on board in an admittefly dramatic-looking, but relatively harmless trail of flames. The other lucky thing is that it miraculously appears to have missed a good many vehicles on the ground and not cartwheeled.

The pilot does sound a bit panicked on the radio and whilst some of that is entirely understandable, being ready to deal with the possibility of something going awry is part of being a good pilot. It is easy to get complacent if you fly an aeroplane regularly and then one day find it doesn't perform as expected. But we know anything can break, thus things going wrong with something mechanical should never be regarded as unexpected. If one takes the attitude of 'expecting the unexpected' and keeps in mind what is to be done if such things do occur, then training will kick in. That is the difference between something becoming more than merely a good anecdote to relate to other pilots when propping up the bar.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Agree, until the NTSB report is completed it's only speculation. The pilot having survived will also help to determine what went wrong. Turning back to the runway is an instinctual reaction, but after losing an engine getting the dead engine featured and maintaining VMC in level flight should be the first thing done, then once the plane is stabilized head back to the runway. Perhaps he was trying to do this, but it looks like the plane never reached VMC, perhaps not enough time to feature the prop, and then the turn increased the stall speed and loss of control followed. As mentioned it's easy for me to speculate sitting here in front of my computer, so lets be glad the pilot and passenger survived and wait and see what conclusion the NTSB reach.

• Upvote 1

The 310 is perfectly capable of continuing the climb on one engine IF the proper procedures are immediately followed when you lose one. @CHUCK_JODRY - Milviz did a great job on modelling that aircraft's handling. The first time I did an engine out on t/o run in it my heart jumped up in my throat. All pure speculation but it also is possible that whatever affected the engine that quit also affected the other. I still think he sounded panicked on the ATC but just not enough facts. Main thing is that no one was killed.

As has been said - all is pure speculation

Vic

• Upvote 1