Sign in to follow this  
TLight

Problem after win 10 update.

Hello.

Everything was working flawlessly until last night when I foolishly let Win 10 update to the new version.

It seems to have caused some weird issues with P2ATC.

Speech recognition still works flawlessly with Grammar Helper but fails almost completely when running properly with the sim.

Example of what I'm saying compared to what is recognised...

Me: BA Niner Six Eight radio check

P2ATC: 88;

Me: BA Niner Six Eight with you at 4000ft:

P2ATC: BA Niner Six Eight With You; crossing five four;

Me: BA Niner Six Eight radio check

P2ATC: BA Niner Six Eight and then;

As I say, it was working perfectly before the Win 10 update.

Other things that seem to be amiss.

My list of voices have been reduced to four from about eight or nine in the P2ATC drop down boxes. These were foreign and mobile Microsoft voices, I believe they've been erased from the system in the update.

Radio Chatter sounds have vanished, they're still set correctly in the settings window, they just don't work.

What's the best way forward? Are there preferences within P2ATC that I can erase or should I just do a complete re-install?

More information.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled P2ATC. It didn't help on the microphone front although it did get the ATC chatter back.

The Windows 10 update ("creators") apparently has affected audio drivers on some machines so I installed the latest drivers from Dell. This also didn't help.

I've spent the last few hours trying to get to the bottom of this and all I can find is any application using audio of some description seems to mess with the microphone input. Even if the system volume is turned to zero the speech recognition just doesn't want to work. This explains why earlier the Grammar Helper seemed to work flawlessly (no x-plane running) but add X-Plane engines into the mix and it stopped.

It seems the Mic input is no longer a pure signal but Windows is mixing it with other audio before the speech recognition gets the chance to do its bit. I don't know if this is correct but it's the only thing that's coming to mind.

Any ideas?

Gave it one last try before bed.

Plugged in an external sound card and tried Grammar Helper while playing music full blast via VLC media player.

It worked.

Be careful with Windows 'Creator' update folks, it's likely to 'creator' more problems than it solves.

I also noticed that since a week or so Pilot2ATC has problems recognizing my speech if i don't pause the simulator to stop the engines sound. I doubt it was the Creators update because i have it for a long time and had no problem with Pilot2ATC. There was another Windows update a couple days ago and i think it may be that one causing the problem or it is a problem Pilot2ATC itself.

Hope Dave can help us on this.

Edit: It seems that if i talk very loud (almost shouting) the speech is recognized, but i could talk normally before and had no problems. If i pause the sim i can talk normally and it is recognized.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Sounds like you are getting the SIM engine noise input to the microphone.  Some users have had this happen.  It is a Windows headset or microphone setting causing it.

Recheck all your Microphone and Headset settings to be sure they are correct.  You could also try turning the volume down on the SIM Engine noises.

Perhaps one of the folks that had this problem could post how they solved it.

Dave

Hi Dave.

You could also try turning the volume down on the SIM Engine noises.

That was the first thing I tried. I suspect if the all x-plane sounds were set to zero it might have worked, I'm already running them at around 20% so I can hear the ATC clearly. I have no problem with the external sound card though, that isn't affected at all, I can set the volumes to any level, everything works fine.

Alvega -

There was another Windows update a couple days ago and i think it may be that one causing the problem or it is a problem Pilot2ATC itself.

Before the update Pilot2ATC was running fine. I'm not sure about this update of two days ago though, after Creator edition was installed it asked me to restart for another update, you could well be right.