Sign in to follow this  
SKIPS2

Is Nick N's Bible still relevant...P3Dv3 or V4

Hi,

Just reinstalled my OS and was wondering if Nick N's Bible is still relevant for P3Dv3 OR v4?

Regards,

Skips2

Absolutely yes - as far as the OS setup goes. But the settings for the sim(s) are not really relevant any longer. Many of the settings he suggests have been incorporated into the sim now. About the only relevant settings would be TBM and FFTF and those would depend on the systems.

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Does he have an OS setup for win 10 ?

Last time I looked it was win 7.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I felt the NickN guide seriously over-complicated things for FSX, so I was never a fan. That was a buggy sim, so people were looking for something to latch onto in the hope of avoiding crashes. I always felt it was more of a religious thing, rather than a necessary approach.

As mentioned above, if you're flying Win 10 with a modern version of P3D, it's not applicable in any case.

Prepar3d is not FSX, the older sim required a lot of tweaking because of the combination of bugs and the advancement of hardware since the programs release. P3D is much of an install-it-and-then-fly-it experience, as it's designed for modern hardware and the developers are constantly searching for and fixing bugs. 

i run with no tweaks whatsoever, apart from external programs relating to shaders and VR supersampling. 

• Upvote 5

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Whatever happened to Nick N?

Haven't seen him on the forums for years...

I suspect he boarded his last flight years ago  :(

edit: Well a search shows he's not posted since Jan 2016

Matthew S

No need for tweaking in P3D. Makes things mostly worse. The bible applies to FSX and is okay if you use FSX.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

3 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Whatever happened to Nick N?

Haven't seen him on the forums for years...

I suspect he boarded his last flight years ago  :(

edit: Well a search shows he's not posted since Jan 2016

He doesn't post on here but hes still active on his company's forums.

3 hours ago, SKIPS2 said:

So it's ok as far as the OS goes then....right?

Win 7, maybe, win 10, no. I remember going thru all that stuff years ago. I don't remember anything about benefits, but I certainly remember all the time it took. Wouldn't even think about doing it again, especially not with win 10.

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I never found all the obsessive tweaking of the OS to make much of any difference.

• Upvote 2

Best thing to do is take a vitamin pill in the morning. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, jimcarrel said:

Win 7, maybe, win 10, no. I remember going thru all that stuff years ago. I don't remember anything about benefits, but I certainly remember all the time it took. Wouldn't even think about doing it again, especially not with win 10.

Totally agree.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

personal experience and opinion - for OS tweaking, go to https://www.tweakhound.com/

For sim tweaking, you don't need it with P3D.

But there are some general rules for all MSFS based sims, and they work just fine with P3D V4, so you can try it - if you increase TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD you'll get better texture(and scenery)loading. I keep this at 4096 in all sims and i install(tweak)lower texture resolution for my addons if performance is the problem. Some people with powerful system will see performance boost doying this. It's not only about max texture resolution like the name suggest

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT - i tried to increase it, but default of 30 works just fine in V4 for me, so i leave it like this. Many peopIe will increase this for faster texture loading, and it works. I lock my fps instead. I will start a topic about this soon, since i discovered something cool

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION - (default is 0.33, lower values improves fps and may cause blurries, higher values improves scenery loading and can induce stutters, most used values 0.1 - 0.25 Do not set it to 0!) It works, and should improve FPS. However, the scenery loading will suffer if you don't have a realy fast(overclocked)CPU. Mine is fast, but i don't use this tweak, since i don't feel the need with V4 yet - i don't have too many addons for V4 at the moment and scenery loads just fine. 

After a lot of testing, this is all you need to know about P3D V4 in this moment in my opinion