Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Opinion requested for iFly 737NG Prepar3dv4

I'm really surprised there are so many who feel the iFly 737NG vc looks as good as the PMDG NGX vc.  I just can't see the similarities, as IMHO PMDG vc is far better in appearance and 3d detail (knobs & switches).  I have had both PMDG & iFly 737's since FS2004 and have the iFly P3Dv4 version to tide me over until PMDG releases theirs. 

• Upvote 2

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

1 minute ago, beechcaptain said:

I'm really surprised there are so many who feel the iFly 737NG vc looks as good as the PMDG NGX vc.  I just can't see the similarities, as IMHO PMDG vc is far better in appearance and 3d detail

The VC dimensions are way off in the PMDG NGX especially the windows, I know why they did it but it just looks wrong.

The iFly is much better in this regard but the NGX textures are better

I fail to see how dimensions can be such a critical item (PMDG don't appear to be way off) for a PC sim when graphics resolution vary from system to system.  I don't notice a DRASTIC difference and to me, if it is solely the captains window size being a bit different in size between the two, that is being quoted and having a finger pointed to, well, I must admit, it is no where near as big of a difference compared to vc quality. YMMV. 

• Upvote 2

Glenn Wilkinson

I'd rather be able to clearly see the various vc panel sections and easily access the knobs/switches, sacrificing a bit of window dimensions than be 100% type accurate and have to rely on 2D panels.  Also, I don't use ezdok or other addon camera software or track ir, so that is not an option for me.

Glenn Wilkinson

6 minutes ago, beechcaptain said:

I fail to see how dimensions can be such a critical item (PMDG don't appear to be way off)

PMDG themselves admit it is wrong, done this way to accommodate the HUD which most airlines do not spec anyway.

Once seen it can't be unseen, shame really as in every other regard the PMDG product is nicer. 

Well, herein lies the advantage of being a sim.  If we don't like it, we don't have to buy/fly it.  Dimensions of the captains window - if it is a no no for you, so be it.  To me, that is rather miniscule compared to access and view of the vc.  It is not a deal killer for me.  I don't use HUD, and I'm not miffed at PMDG for providing a quality product and vc with a bit of window-frame-size sacrifice. 

I don't see hundreds or more sim pilots blasting PMDG for the window size issue.  Again, I don't see a large number blasting iFly for lesser quality vc.  We are in the vocal minority in these regards, so, we've spoken our opinions.  I'm done.

Glenn Wilkinson

5 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Now that User's of this aircraft have had a little while to use it in Prepar3D v4, I was wondering if they could give an opinion/report on how it goes in this new platform. I'm on the fence as to whether I should pay for the upgrade from P3D v3 or wait the the free PMDG NGX release. The Captain Sim 737-200 v4 update will be released shortly as well but I'm not ware of the time frame.

Just to be clear, there is no charge for the P3Dv4 version of the iFly 737NG for registered users of the P3Dv3 version.

Best,

Jim Harnes

46 minutes ago, Glynn said:

PMDG themselves admit it is wrong, done this way to accommodate the HUD which most airlines do not spec anyway.

Once seen it can't be unseen, shame really as in every other regard the PMDG product is nicer. 

Unless you fly in the us, most American carriers are using it he HGS. WN,AA,DL and AS all use it

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

To answer the original thread question, the iFly 737 NG package in P3D V4 is nice and does a good job of simulating airline ops. As you'd expect, it's tougher on frame rates than the default P3D aeroplanes, but depending on tweaks and/or your hardware, it is manageable and can be smoothly hand-flown on approaches etc. Personally, I've been enjoying flying it and it's not really had any problems, so I'd recommend it, particularly if you grab the discount coupon from Flight 1 and get it for 25 quid, as I did. 25 quid for nine realistically simulated variants of the NG is a steal.

With regard to all the sidetrack arguments over the relative merits of the iFly vs the PMDG 737 NGs, all the same beaten to death arguments apply; i.e. they can both do some things the other can't and both feature some things their rival product doesn't. Any Google search will clarify what those things are.

If you want an exact features list for the iFly NG, there is one here:

http://www.iflysimsoft.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?PID=17

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I bought the FSX version several years ago, then moved over to PMDG for various reasons. 

I recently decided to take advantage of the 50% discount offered by Flight1 and purchased it, hoping to see a nice graphical improvement since the FSX purchase.  

As soon as I loaded the plane up for the first time, I knew that I had made a big mistake. I just could not 'warm' to the VC. It just lacked the 'contemporary finesse' of the PMDG and at that point, my interest was lost.

Next day I claimed, and received a full refund from Flight, which I must say, having never claimed for one before, was so easy and straight forward. In my opinion, great service.

So why not give it a go, with the excellent refund policy of Flight1, there really is nothing to lose ?

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Cheap cartoon toy...horrible...a steel grey battle ship,with 'no soul'. You're talking about one of the most-loved addons in the history of flight sim. And then the 13 yr old 'phanboys' nonsense, good way to impress the crowd on your 4th post, my friend.

I actually want to hear more about the iFly from more people who have flown it and the NGX, and who aren't madly partisan one way or the other. I own both in FSX, I might get the P3D version just to actually see what it is like. 

iFly is a nice simulation of the 737, but I mainly don't like the interface with the knobs and switches in the VC.

To turn a knob you can't use the mouse wheel or right/left mouse buttons like you can with the NGX, you have to click on a + or - that shows up when your mouse gets near a position.

The same with the switches.

I just have a big problem with that.

On the other hand, the NGX is so comfortable to interface with.

I find that because of this, I don't fly the iFly version very much.

Bob

• Upvote 1

I have both and use both  for variety sake. (FSX). This gives a little challenge not to get too habitual in the same cockpit. Even the FS2Crew is different which changes things up a bit. I figure a real line Captain on a major line  is not going to fly the same aircraft every day. I'm guessing when a company like Southwest or American has hundreds of 737s your going to have a variety of configurations, maybe  handling quality is a little different too though standardization is desired.  One thing for sure, you're not going to see the same scratches and finger prints in every aircraft.The texture difference of the aircraft may be different according to age or time since major over haul. Adds a little fun any way.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, FSXtreme said:

To turn a knob you can't use the mouse wheel or right/left mouse buttons like you can with the NGX, you have to click on a + or - that shows up when your mouse gets near a position.

The same with the switches.

Okay - that's a deal-breaker for me... 

I would get extremely annoyed by that. I guess, I'm 'spoiled' by PMDG in that regard... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

5 hours ago, beechcaptain said:

I'm really surprised there are so many who feel the iFly 737NG vc looks as good as the PMDG NGX vc.  I just can't see the similarities, as IMHO PMDG vc is far better in appearance and 3d detail (knobs & switches).  I have had both PMDG & iFly 737's since FS2004 and have the iFly P3Dv4 version to tide me over until PMDG releases theirs. 

iFly has a extreme level of fans and beta testers that come to avsim every time their Google Alerts activates that their name is mentioned. They have only a limited number of arguments they make over and over. I think many are just comment bots. The arguments go "iFly has RNP" or "the dimensions of the vc are off and poor textures in the PMDG" or "you get more model variants"