Sign in to follow this  
longrangecruise

Big sale @ the org store!

Rotate MD-80 or 757 v2? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

NAX669.png

Why are X-Plane add-ons so much more expensive than FSX? Even the "specials" are expensive.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

1 hour ago, rooitou said:

Why are X-Plane add-ons so much more expensive than FSX? Even the "specials" are expensive.

I totally agree - this is a little sale on many items, NOT a "big" sale. 50-80% off is a BIG sale.

4 minutes ago, pracines said:

50-80% off is a BIG sale

I am sorry if my title was misleading. Do they ever give such a big discount?

Regards, Perry

It's a pretty big sale in my opinion, and very timely too in combination with the XPlane 11 steam sale discount.

3 hours ago, rooitou said:

More expensive? 
Not sure what you are using as basis for such a claim, but X-Plane addons cost in average 30% less than similar products for FSX/P3D. For the records, based on my experience, the Aerobask Eclipse NG 550 is a steal at 39 dollars for what it actually offers, imagine at $31. To have anything comparable under FSX/P3D, you need an external Garmin GTN 750 (which is very expensive, not to mention the problem of having updated FMS data) and the model itself would probably have a price tag in the house of $50. The last vFlyte release (Twin Comanche) is being sold at less than 30 dollars and is receiving excellent reviews!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, barrel_owl said:

Not sure what you are using as basis for such a claim, but X-Plane addons cost in average 30% less than similar products for FSX/P3D.For the records, based on my experience, the Aerobask Eclipse NG 550 is a steal at 39 dollars for what it actually offers, imagine at $31

Sorry barrel_owl, but I'm just not in your league when it comes to buying power. There's no way I'm paying $30 or more for an add-on, I'm simply not in that category. I've bought around 300 add-ons for FSX over the past few years and my AVERAGE price for all of them was US$14, the HIGHEST was US$20. I buy only when they're on sale and FSX sales are awesome by comparison to X-Plane. As Paul mentioned above, 50%-80% is not unheard of for FSX sales. There are frequent sales and you can often pick up decent quality add-ons for as low as US$5 to $10.

I've also dabbled in X-Plane 10 over the years, but never really warmed to it, partly because of abysmal TrackIR implementation (which XP11 fixed now), but also because the add-ons are simply not offering the same value as FSX. I've bought three X-Plane add-ons over the same period (when they were on sale); Grumman Tiger AA-5B for US$13, Nizhny Novgorod Airport for US$12 and the Bell 412 for US$18 and those were really the only three I could find which offered decent quality at a reasonable price. So, in my experience and in my category, FSX add-ons outnumber XP by a factor of 100:1 in terms of value. I'm not talking about the US$30 and up category, which is not value for a guy like me.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

On 2017/07/01 at 8:38 PM, barrel_owl said:

More expensive? 
Not sure what you are using as basis for such a claim, but X-Plane addons cost in average 30% less than similar products for FSX/P3D. For the records, based on my experience, the Aerobask Eclipse NG 550 is a steal at 39 dollars for what it actually offers, imagine at $31. To have anything comparable under FSX/P3D, you need an external Garmin GTN 750 (which is very expensive, not to mention the problem of having updated FMS data) and the model itself would probably have a price tag in the house of $50. The last vFlyte release (Twin Comanche) is being sold at less than 30 dollars and is receiving excellent reviews!

Hey barrel_owl, think I owe you an apology. As I got more into X-Plane (thanks to X-Plane 11) and following sales on X-Plane.Org etc, I have become much more aware of pricing in the X-Plane market. Besides a wealth of freeware that easily matches the quality of FSX/P3D freeware, there have been some pretty good sales on the the various webstores. And I found quite a few around my sweet spot of US$10-15 and below my "hard-ceiling" of US$20. Please keep in mind that I'm not really into study-level sims nor big tubeliners and prefer the simpler one- or two-engine aircraft. The one developer that really caters well to my needs is VSKYLABS. They offer just the right blend of quality, enjoyment and price and I love their aircraft. Even the airfoillabs C172, which looks every bit as detailed as the renowned A2A C172, is cheaper than its FSX/P3D equivalent.    

• Upvote 1