Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

How the headsets are used in the real NG

I would like to know how the headsets are normally used in the real NG - only for ATC and ground comm or also for comm between the captain and FO due to lots of noise on the flight deck?

Richard Åsberg

I suspect that since you have an earpiece or headset then you's take advantage of the intercom.  The noise is part of it, but also the interaction between PF and PNF is often short keywords during a procedural flow at the same time that PNF is talking to ATC so there is a lot happening at times and the intercom become a valuable tool.  Both pilots will hear ATC but only PNF has mic on to them, and both have mic on to intercom.  This way PF hears both side of ATC communication, this reinforces his ability to comply with ATC clearance.  For example:  ATC: THUDPUCKER 152 FLY HEADING 060 DESCEND MAINTAIN 3 THOUSAND;  THUDPUCKER PNF: 152 060 AND 3 THOUSAND.  The PF hears both sides and reinforces the clearance.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yep, I guess that would be the normal scenario but would still be nice to have it confirmed by a real NG driver.

Would also be interesting to know if there's a difference how the headsets/intercom are used depending on if you're still on the ground or airborne.

Richard Åsberg

99% of us wear noise-cancelling headsets. Bose A-20 or QC with a uflymike.

The newer audio panels have a transmitter switch that latches to intercom. Normally after we're done with the tug driver, we latch it to the intercom position and talk over the intercom. We do this after the tug disconnects so they can't hear us talking. Before we ditch the tug, it's one ear in the headset, the other off so we can talk to each other.

To talk to ATC we either use the yoke switch or the switch on the audio panel. Sadly, my company didn't pay for the switch on the glareshield.

The switches stay that way until we shut down.

If the switches are left in the intercom position, they make the overhead speakers very quiet and you have to spend a second or two figuring out why you can't hear anything from the speakers.

Matt Cee

Thanks a lot Matt for always being kind sharing your time and experience from the real world answering all these kind of questions, much appreciated !!

This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, Jack C said:

Also depends on how much we like the other pilot! 

😁

Richard Åsberg

There are some great you tube videos out there!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

9 hours ago, Spin737 said:

99% of us wear noise-cancelling headsets. Bose A-20 or QC with a uflymike.

David Clark Pro-X seems to be the most popular with our group.

The newer audio panels have a transmitter switch that latches to intercom

Every self respecting 737 pilot has a supply of Starbucks stir sticks in their bag for the older airplanes without the latching switch, or so I've been told. :)

Sadly, my company didn't pay for the switch on the glareshield.

Not having the glareshield PTT would drive me insane,  That's cruel and unusual punishment!

3 hours ago, JoeDiamond said:

Not having the glareshield PTT would drive me insane,  That's cruel and unusual punishment!

Yep. It's silly. Stir sticks, TSO'd of course. For some reason admin assistants keep a big box of rubber bands in our office. I think they're for rubber band fights between flights.

Matt Cee

22 hours ago, JoeDiamond said:

David Clark Pro-X seems to be the most popular with our group....

I use the DC Pro-X and like it.  Maybe I chose the wrong airline?   (Feels that way these days,  but then,  contract time is contract time... sucks everywhere.)

My old RJ had glareshield PTTs.  I was astonished the 73 doesn't.   You mean that's an option? And we didn't get it?  Ok... now I'm officially disgruntled.   :-)

Andrew Crowley

Joe, Matt, Andrew et.al., my level of experience has all been in a C414 Chancellor for decades and of course we have the PTT on the yoke horn.  I use it without thinking, which has me wondering the advantage of a glareshield PTT.  How is pressing a button on the yoke horn different? Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's just more comfortable to reach than the switch on the audio panel or the trigger switch on the yoke.  The trigger on the yoke is on the front of the grip, out of you view so you have to feel around for it.  I'll use it if my hand is already on the yoke but 99% of the time it the glareshield switch that everyone uses.  The pilot monitoring does the most talking on the radio so it just makes sense to keep your hands off the yoke.

3 hours ago, JoeDiamond said:

The trigger on the yoke is on the front of the grip, out of you view so you have to feel around for it. 

Okay, I get it... you don't want to grope the horn and fidget for the button.  Makes sense.  Our yoke button is right underneath the thumb in a raised position so even if PNF it is easy enough to manipulate without bothering PF. Also, I can imagine if I had one on the glareshield I would prefer it too.. thinking about it I often have a hand resting up there when focused. It's a comfortable position.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

thinking about it I often have a hand resting up there when focused. It's a comfortable position.

Yep.  When you have your hand resting up there the button falls nicely under your thumb.