Sign in to follow this  
ukplane1

is P3D V4 more of a GAME than any other ( sim )

Should P3D V4 Have Sloped Runways?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should P3D V4 Have Sloped Runways?

• No
    • Yes

Now instead of people focusing on the flying , people are focusing on the bragging rights of having the best looking sim. At my flying club the pilots there can't believe that a basic feature of all landings and takeoff's is not there and that is sloped runways

Look how long FSX has lasted and even if P3D V4 last for 25% of that time that will mean in 2020 we still won't have sloped runways.

We must accept this is a game, P3D V4 allows me to do everything i could do in FSX which is practice Procedural approaches and practice R/T on IVAO / Vatsim which both help me in my real flying.

We have seen great advancements in weather programs , dispatch planning and the planes themselves for FSX /P3D but the runway and taxiway characteristics are all wrong.

Another minor issues is grass runways which come in many forms short grass , longer grass , damp grass , wet grass , soft , none of that is modeled and won't be for another many years.

7 minutes ago, ukplane1 said:

Now instead of people focusing on the flying , people are focusing on the bragging rights of having the best looking sim. At my flying club the pilots there can't believe that a basic feature of all landings and takeoff's is not there and that is sloped runways

Look how long FSX has lasted and even if P3D V4 last for 25% of that time that will mean in 2020 we still won't have sloped runways.

We must accept this is a game, P3D V4 allows me to do everything i could do in FSX which is practice Procedural approaches and practice R/T on IVAO / Vatsim which both help me in my real flying.

We have seen great advancements in weather programs , dispatch planning and the planes themselves for FSX /P3D but the runway and taxiway characteristics are all wrong.

Another minor issues is grass runways which come in many forms short grass , longer grass , damp grass , wet grass , soft , none of that is modeled and won't be for another many years.

It's a cruel world.....

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It may not have default sloped runways, but I've seen airports with sloped runways in P3D. For example, Flightbeam KDEN. I don't mind default slopped runways personally as I don't fly in default airports. But just because there are not does not mean P3D is a game. Your title is misleading. Its a different thing to ask for a feature and a different thing to say its a game.

Lockheed Martin is not a game company, and for sure you can perform flight training as you already say. How is a game if as you admit you are training in FSX/P3D which helps you in real life? There are so many serious add-on aircrafts  in quality that does not exist in XP. 

• Upvote 2

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

No sloped runways does not mean that P3D is a game, seriously your logic is wrong. I bet for good reasons some features are not available or not included, at least not yet.

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

I am willing to bet that LM neither considers nor categorizes P3D as a game!

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

1 minute ago, beechcaptain said:

I am willing to bet that LM neither considers nor categorizes P3D as a game!

They better not, or Microsoft and/or DTG would have an increased revenue stream.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I think Flight Sim's in general could be categorised into many things depending on what the user does with it. Everything from a hobby through to an occasional time waster (video game), to a learning and educational tool.

Also whilst things like grass, and sloped runways would be nice, they are by no means a show stopper for a simulator. Besides you have to consider what you are asking.. let me give you a real world example:

Many soft field runways in the real world, particularly for farm strips and even some widely known airports (EGHA for example) have variable soft field conditions. Often a prior call to a farm strip or EGHA will result in instructions like "please land to the right side of the runway to avoid the muddy area on the left side".  So how do you model in this in the sim?

Lets suppose the sim models soft field conditions of long grass/short grass, to be actually realistic it would also need to model whether it is wet or dry and also how boggy (or not) the soil is. Some grass strips are plain unusable after periods of rain to nose pushers.

What I am saying is, your asking for a can of worms to be opened.

Flightsim's should of course be as accurate as possible.. however when you get to the finer detail then it will likely always fall short.

Oh Goodness, what a  "__ "  question. Saying it's a game cause they don't model sloped runways is like saying P3D (or FSX) is a game  cause  you can't smell the jet fuel.  Who cares if the runways are are sloped? Only a few airports are on purpose built that way. Others could be that way due to poor maintenance or age.  Anyway! 

• Upvote 1

Sloped runways are I believe one of the most overrated features of X-Plane that has caused no end of pain for some developers. It's a sad truth that many airport devs actually disable the feature for their airports. I'd say, enjoy it whilst you don't have it :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

X-Plane has worse ground physics modelling than fsx/p3d I never thought this possible to be worse than the fsx engine. slope runways are possible to create but the AI cannot operate to these airports.

• Upvote 1

In AEFS2 there are also slopped runways, as they have been since ever in Flight Gear :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

well, i can't remember seeing sloped runways in level d full flight simulator, is it a game? :happy:

What an odd, illogical claim by the OP. Let's redefine LM's simulator as a game, based on one single feature...

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I usually try to refrain from being so blunt but this is a terrible thread.

• Upvote 1

The sim is whatever you want it to be for you. I'd say leave it at that