Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Advice on Anti Virus security and P3D

Hi all.

I use P3D3.4 coupled with a few add-ons, and am now looking for a new security software that works well with Windows 10, P3d and addons such as Ezdok.

I used ESET and to be fair it is a good virus software, but it is just too strong, and you feel like you might as well lock yourself out of your PC, because it it stops everything working. Even when you try and exclude Ezdok from the realtime scaning it won't remember to do that.

I have heard that some of the best AV programs are Bitdefender and Kaspersky for intrusion and URL threats. Both look very good, but do they stop Ezdok or create any problems with P3D?

Has anybody used these programs I just mentioned?

Best regards

Julian

Edited by joolsd
to change title

I use bitdefender. Besides being one of (if not the) best, it has never blocked any of my sim stuff..

I also used bitdefender. I didn't have a problem so far. I have also excluded all sim related folders. It has a Game mode too, which activates when you load your simulator or any game which minimizes its activity in order to not compromise game performance.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I'm not using any AV software for about 1/2 Year, and i feel this is the one of the best things i ever did. It's very much about marketing with AV, and you are not in danger if you are know what you are doing(like not opening suspicious email attachments). Zero problems here, and i allways had a problems with AV softwares - deleting my files even when excluded from AV scanning etc...

It's enough to scann your PC with malwarebytes anti-malware free from time to time.

I used avast for many years, but i tried all recommended AV software too. Never again.

Just my opinion, do what you feel is right

There are two recent and extensive threads here at AVSIM on this very subject, and three for the year.

Anyway, I've posted some very good information in them the previous threads.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, lodestar said:

I'm not using any AV software for about 1/2 Year, and i feel this is the one of the best things i ever did. It's very much about marketing with AV, and you are not in danger if you are know what you are doing(like not opening suspicious email attachments). Zero problems here, and i allways had a problems with AV softwares - deleting my files even when excluded from AV scanning etc...

It's enough to scann your PC with malwarebytes anti-malware free from time to time.

I used avast for many years, but i tried all recommended AV software too. Never again.

Just my opinion, do what you feel is right

Good luck when that family member/relative who is computer illiterate gets on your network and downloads crap...

21 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Good luck when that family member/relative who is computer illiterate gets on your network and downloads crap...

No such a things, no one is connected to my network

Thank you for for this. I wanted to hear you opinions, as software changes quickly, even in a year!

I have been doing a fair bit of research on the best AV software, but interested in opinions.

@DaveCT2003 Hello again, I will check your threads. Thank you.

Best regards

Julian

1 hour ago, joolsd said:

I have been doing a fair bit of research on the best AV software, but interested in opinions.

Another happy Bitdefender user here. No noticeable impact on performance. For a comprehensive review of the different AV options, take a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/ and https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/ - well-respected, independent sites. It's worth looking back over a few months of tests for any software you're interested in.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, lodestar said:

No such a things, no one is connected to my network

Hahah that's funny. 

Julian,

You might benefit from reading the OVPA Shared Cockpit Setup Guide. It speaks A LOT about computer security, and it's germane to computer security for those who aren't flying shared cockpit as well.

OVPA Shared Cockpit Setup Guide

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

7 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Julian,

You might benefit from reading the OVPA Shared Cockpit Setup Guide. It speaks A LOT about computer security, and it's germane to computer security for those who aren't flying shared cockpit as well.

OVPA Shared Cockpit Setup Guide

Best wishes.

David Thank you.

I know Julian has already had experience with it, but for others reading along I am a current user of ESET's NOD32 and have found it to be a lightweight and effective tool.

I'm not disputing Julian's experiences, but I have had no issues with ESET being too heavy handed or otherwise restrictive in the years that I have been running with it. Like most other security tools, you do occasionally run into a false positive situation which needs an exception/exclusion to be created, but it is quite rare and I've found NOD32 does respect my exceptions in perpetuity.

This might not help Julian, but I would give NOD32 my vote of confidence, and it remains my preferred tool.

I have heard some good things about Webroot's protection software as well. If I wasn't already satisfied with my protection, I would probably look there.

Another user of Bitdefender 2017 and it has been great so far (only about a month!).  I had to get rid of Webroot AV as it was constantly trying to remove things from my sim and caused me one full uninstall/reinstall of P3D.  You were not able to exclude folders in Webroot which I thought was odd.  Bitdefender allows exclusions and has not caused me any issues since I have had it.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11