Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Minor issue with P4ao

Hi Oliver - 

Added a group of sceneries, one of which I wanted added BUT not active.

All went well and the specific scenery was red as expected.

However, when I saved it, it reverted to active. I edited - set inactive - submit - save - back to active again.

Since I cannot manually edit it in the scenery library, my only option is to delete it.

Thanx,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello vic,

was that scenery added to the scenery.cfg or separately in an add-on.xml? The issue with these add-on.xml files is, that you can only disable the whole thing, not individual components inside it. I am thinking about a solution for this in v1.00 (until LM hopefully adds the "Active" tag to the addon components), it should be possible to force an error in the individual component definition so that P3D simply ignores it.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

No, I was adding several landclass products from SceneryTech using P4AO and there is one that I usually have disabled unless I specifically need it. Past iterations of FSX/P3D I use enabled/disabled in the Scenery Library. Unfortunately, if I use the add-on.xml, the entry is locked - was hoping the active property in P4AO woul do the same but it is essentially ignored. Seems like there is no enable/disable it's either installed or uninstalled.  :)

I know a lot of people who really do a lot of enabling/disabling for performance reasons - would be cool if the tool could do that w/o deleting the entry.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

22 hours ago, vgbaron said:

No, I was adding several landclass products from SceneryTech using P4AO and there is one that I usually have disabled unless I specifically need it. Past iterations of FSX/P3D I use enabled/disabled in the Scenery Library. Unfortunately, if I use the add-on.xml, the entry is locked - was hoping the active property in P4AO woul do the same but it is essentially ignored. Seems like there is no enable/disable it's either installed or uninstalled.  :)

I know a lot of people who really do a lot of enabling/disabling for performance reasons - would be cool if the tool could do that w/o deleting the entry.

Vic

Hello Vic,

I have just uploaded v1.00 to my site. You can now disable individual components inside an add-on.xml - but for the price of an additional entry in the content error log. This will remain that way until Lockheed adds the "Active" tags to the addon components.

Although it has the grand "1.00" version number, I still consider it to be in beta status. So please be careful and make frequent backups.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Almost there Oliver. The disabled entry shows in the XML file, in P4AO but still is not in the scenery library. The idea would be to enable/disable on the fly while in sim. Currently still have to exit sim to enable add on.

I wonder if it's doable with the add on method - I'm guessing the logic of the method loads the add ons on the fly so why load a disabled item? And if not loaded - not visible in Scenery Library.

:biggrin:

Vic

17 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Almost there Oliver. The disabled entry shows in the XML file, in P4AO but still is not in the scenery library. The idea would be to enable/disable on the fly while in sim. Currently still have to exit sim to enable add on.

I wonder if it's doable with the add on method - I'm guessing the logic of the method loads the add ons on the fly so why load a disabled item? And if not loaded - not visible in Scenery Library.

:biggrin:

Vic

Ah OK. No this is not possible. The way I see it, the XML-addon logic is just a wrapper around the existing loading process. The XML files are read and injected into the same process that reads the scenery.cfg. There is no logic in P3D that writes back into the xml files (which is what happens when you activate/deactivate the sceneries in the cfg = scenery library). Only the package cfg are written, and that only takes effect when you restart the sim afterwards (which is why I came up with the "wrapper" analogy).

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I appreciate your effort Oliver. I suspected as much. I really can't thank you enough for P4AO - it's really made the whole process much easier and as I get older - easier is better!! :biggrin:

Thanx again,

Vic