Sign in to follow this  
Guest enave

Would not want to be on that plane!

Yeah have seen that one. No idea what happened except it was obviously very windy lol.

Guest bonjourmoi44

Yeah, imagine if every large plane was handled like that when it was very windy. Not too many people would be taking their chances...

There is no large plane invulnerable to wind. I have seen 747 acting like that on landing :).About that landing he did a second attempt and landed successfully that time :)

Guest Peter Sidoli

YesIf you look at the tree on the left its very windy and turbulent even the bird in the shot is having problems :-)The other factor is that the pilot is laying off quite a bit of drift which means that not only is it very windy and turbulent but there is also quite a crosswind componant.the other factor is that he has obviously just come off an instrument approach and it does take a little while to visually take in all the picture and adjust to a difficult challenging landing.Thank God he didnt get a bad shear in that high drag situation on the go around as the whole approach looks as if it could have been a disaster.I bet the passengers were wetting themselves and praying to their God.Peter

Guest bonjourmoi44

Yeah I see what you mean now with the wind. I knew it must be windy but I never looked at the tree to see just how windy. I had an incident during my second solo in a 172. The wind was awful, 25 gusting to 40. Most planes went to other airports and even experienced pilots either had trouble landing or went off the runway. I don't know what I was thinking (I was quite young, only 17) but I knew I wanted the plane down. Unfortunately, I did not have the best instructor and I did not know to leave flaps not all the way down. So here I am, in a 172, only 17 years old, trying to land a little plane in big winds. The first attempt failed and I went around and attempt #2, some how I got her down. Later I found out the propeller nicked the runway, but with only minimal and repairable damage. It took some time before I was able to get to the skies again. In a year or so I will be flying (hopefully) for an airline and I can only hope if I am faced with the same circumstances as the pilot in this video that I will remember my Cessna days and be smart and go somewhere else and not put people at risk. It is hard though I am sure with time schedules, pressure etc... but I think we all must remember, it is better to be alive than to be early in the after life...

Hi Cameron,This was a case of pilot induced oscillation due to the gusty wind conditions. During a landing like this, the pilot is operating at "high gain," and is more apt to make fast, aggressive control inputs to counteract the gusty winds. When the airplane cannot react quickly enough to the aggressive control inputs, the control inputs can get out of phase with the resulting airplane motions. It's similar to trying land an airplane in windy conditions when you have low framerates. (I know this one from experience!)Don S.

Guest enave

"he did a second attempt and landed successfully that time"Thank god! I was worried that me might still be up there! ;)

He could have diverted to another airfield that was what I meant :)

Guest enave

yeah I know. I just thought I was making a funny joke. Take offs are optional but landings are mandatory.