Sign in to follow this  
Romeo_Tango

first 2 weeks using the virtual cockpit

Guest william273

i am amazed. WOW!!! this is in no special order just a bunch of stuff i want to say. right off the bat, i'm using all default aircraft and their default virtual cockpits. running in 1024x768 or whatever it is. 600x800 only if i can't run it higher but at 1024 all is running fine. the catch for framerates was lowering the cloud settings. i was at 100% but got bogged down with bad framerates in bad weather. am still using the 3D clouds BUT reduced them to this: 3D cloud %=40 and cloud cover density= low. play with the other cloud settings but those two gave me ALOT MORE frames/hoursepower. enough so that i cranked up the other display settings to max on some and just under that on others. even in bad weather now i still get good framerates. with the new display settings EVERYTHING is new. didn't know it could be like this. i'm getting off the main subject now so back to the VC that is IF you can get them to fly with acceptable framerates by reducing the cloud settings. if not it is something to strive for. i know there are other payware aircraft out there with good or better VCs but hey, the defaults are really amazing! ok, so maybe they have to grow on you but let them! you can get used to them and they are NOT bad! i was a 2D man but have turned the corner to using the VC and there is no turning back now. it would be going backwards. i am very happy with the VC panels and specially the lear. now that is one fine panel. it really is! just have a look at it. the boeings are fine also but not quite as nice. everything in them and all the default VC are in there proper places and not squashed together as in the 2D.{not knocking the 2D}. ok sacrifices might have to be made in designing all this stuff but the main one for me was the clouds. it's a small price to pay for being able to fly using the VCs. for whatever reason using the VC increases my frames. i know for others it doesn't but i highly recommend doing whatever you can in order to be able to use it. i had no idea of what i was actually missing. the whole flying experience is at a new and higher level. enough so that i came here to post this. really, everyone needs to start looking into this if you are serious about flightsimming. i know some may not have a machine that will allow good framerates using the VC and reducing clouds or other display detail is out of the question but at the same time it is something to think about. in the past i wouldn't touch a VC with a ten foot pole but having given it a chance and spending 2 weeks using only that well i'm glad i did and wish i had done it sooner. my machine isn't fast enough for any addon aircraft with VC but that is ok as i am happy as a bug in a rug with the default! yes! i said it. hey, ii've got nothing to hide. ok i see all you guys in the closet flying your default aircraft. come on out. william

Welcome to the club William!! I agree, great experience and no going back to 2D for me either.The defaults are ok in the VC dept, but if you have the PC power, some of the payware models are light years ahead of the defaults, for instance, been spending a lot of time in the Dreamfleet baron, what great aircraft and the VC is superb. There are some great freeware models with great VCs also, check out any aircraft from Long island Classics, Milton Shupe & team or Robert Sanderson. next up will be TrackIR for you, it takes the VC experience to the next level!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest william273

hey michael, yea, there should be a forum for virtual cockpit flying. roger the addon aircraft. i also noticed the default baron flies in a realistic fashion without all the pitch problems, now it's fun to fly. i have been flying mostly the heavy jets until now. now i am thinking about starting over from scratch with the cessna182 and move up from there but then again i don't know as i'm in love with them all now. i have been following all the track-ir threads and drooling at the videos some come up with, simply amazing! yea, it's on my radarscope for sure. gotta spread the VC word. out to save the world! william

Guest william273

oh, i forgot to mention some of the default cockpits. the mooney has such a nice clear cockpit panel that i at first thought it may have been one i downloaded as it looks nothing like the 2D panel. you can see the cowling too. in the past, before i got really into VCs, i did take a look at one or two default VCs and almost threw up. i never scrolled around to take much of a look, no need to as i could clearly see they were not on a level with 2D panels, so blurry and all. how caught up i was with all the 2D bells and whistles and highly detailed panels, texture wise. after looking at some panels over at airliners.net i now see how close the default VC really are and that is VERY close to their real counterparts. quite nice actually. william

Hi William,I certainly hear you- I also have a new system and am experiencing great graphics and performance in the VC- I will never go back to 2D again :). The one that most impresses me is the LDS B763 VC, especially at night, very nice lighting.I used to switch between the 2D panel and the wing view, but since I've been enjoying the VC view I no longer use either of those any more!Bruce.

Count me in - used to be real wingview/2d man till I experienced the LDS vc and now PSS T7 as well. Spend the vast majority of time in vc now.Still use 2d and bitmaps if I have no vc - no really top notch busses around right now for instance.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lsd2.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mar.../sup_banner.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

I haven't flown in 2D cockpits since....mmmm...FS98?I don't even pay attention to the 2D mode anymore...if it doesn't have a good VC, I won't fly it.Unfortunately I think the best VC's are payware these days, but there are a few notable freeware exceptions which we all know about.My favorites right now are the Eaglsoft Cirrus models, Just about everything Carenado (great values!), the Dreamfleet Bonanza, and F1's Cessana 172.One of these day's I'm gonna spring for a new MAAM DC-3, as I used to have the freeware/donation-ware model; it was pretty darn good. You could never get my out of the DC-3's at one time.Have fun!...but try some payware stuff...again, the Carenado products are really good, and very good values.....for starters ;)

Guest william273

i will be looking into track ir soon and thanks for the feedback guys! by the way, for people who don't know, this isn't about which is better 2D or 3D. i was just giving my opinion on using the VC and it's advantages that i liked. i guess you could take it as a which is best but that wasn't my intention. william

Hi all,Ihave trackIR 3 and I am wondering how different or better is trackIR 4?Thanks,Robin.

Robin