Sign in to follow this  
glider1

No yaw control during landing Phenom100

Hi there

Anyone know why I cannot control the rudder for a crosswind side-slip crosswind landing in the Phenom100? I have auto-rudder off in the sim and the YD in the plane is off too. The autopilot is off as well. I can see the rudder pedals moving but there is no yaw response in the plane. Makes it difficult to line up in a crosswind landing.

Thanks if you can help.

29 minutes ago, glider1 said:

I can see the rudder pedals moving

One more thing to check, look outside, does the rudder move when you press the pedals?

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Glider1,

Does he rudder work throughout the flight or only stop on approach?

Is it a Saitek rudder?

As Hubinsc has stated, check outside view to see if the rudder input is working on the actual rudder as well as the rudder pedals.

I would suggest that you check sensitivity level and maybe increase it if possible.

regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Thanks for the ideas.

I tried it again. Before takeoff I have rudders fully functional both rudder stab and pedals. Takeoff and have full yaw control. Then I turn on AP and there is no stab, no yaw control but rudder pedals move. Then I turn off all AP including FD, YD so that all automated systems are off as indicated. But then still have no yaw control, no stab deflection but rudder pedals move. Full control is restored as soon as I touch down though. Then when I take off again during roll out I have full control of rudder until I leave the ground when there is no yaw deflection again.

Crazy part is, the rudder trim works perfectly so I can trim the plane for a side slip crosswind landing anyway.

I have the Phenom100 v2. I have installed the navigraph pack and I'm in P3Dv3.

Glider1,

Beats the sh.t out of me Sarge. 

About the only thing I can suggest now is that before you install Navigraph it may be an idea to uninstall the Phenom and reinstall again. Certainly a glitch there and I do not believe it is a Hardware problem if the situation is consistantly in the same place.

Can anyone else help here?

Good luck and let us know how you get on please.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, glider1 said:

Then I turn on AP and there is no stab, no yaw control but rudder pedals move. Then I turn off all AP including FD, YD so that all automated systems are off as indicated. But then still have no yaw control, no stab deflection but rudder pedals move. 

I'm still not sure about which items you are talking about. With the autpilot on it's clear that you don't have any control over the rudder and the stabilizer.

With the autopilot off you don't have any pitch trim (stab) and no rudder control ?

With the YD on the pedals shouldn't move.

As Tony said, try a reinstall and make sure that antivirus programs are not interfering with the install.

Sorry J35 I explained it poorly.

The summary goes like this.

On the ground with AP/YD off: full rudder deflection and full yaw control

In the air AP/YD off: full rudder deflection and full yaw control

In the air AP on: very little rudder deflection no yaw control

In the air AP off: very little rudder deflection no yaw control

On the ground AP off: full rudder deflection and full yaw control

I reinstalled the whole aircraft made no difference.

The bug is that the AP doesn't hand over manual control to rudder deflection after it is turned off, except when the aircraft is on the ground. All other surfaces work correctly. Rudder trim works as per normal in all cases.

That's definitely the YD not disengaging. Have you tried to disengage the YD with the keyboard ? (e.g. default shift-d)

If you are getting full rudder deflection and full yaw control on ground with only the AP off, this means the YD is off as well.

What the difference on your panel between AP/YD off and AP off on ground? (switches/lights)

Hi J35

It must be the YD on the Phenom100.

On default P3D aircraft YD works correctly including flight response and console lights using CTRL-D or mouse in virtual cockpit.

In the phenom, CTRL-D does not work. Only way to engage is via mouse click.

Once engaged it will not disengage until the plane is back on the ground. Even then, YD is still only temporarily disengaged because as soon as the aircraft is back in the air, YD kicks in again regardless of what the console lights are saying or pressing CTRL-D.

This YD bug is present with AP/FD is on or off.

Surprising no-one else reports this.

On 7/4/2017 at 2:15 AM, glider1 said:

Hi J35

It must be the YD on the Phenom100.

On default P3D aircraft YD works correctly including flight response and console lights using CTRL-D or mouse in virtual cockpit.

In the phenom, CTRL-D does not work. Only way to engage is via mouse click.

Once engaged it will not disengage until the plane is back on the ground. Even then, YD is still only temporarily disengaged because as soon as the aircraft is back in the air, YD kicks in again regardless of what the console lights are saying or pressing CTRL-D.

This YD bug is present with AP/FD is on or off.

Surprising no-one else reports this.

I just noticed the same problem on my newly purchased Phenom 100 for FSX-Steam. Is there a solution to this? I suspect that the majority of Carenado customers a) never actually land their planes and/or b) just use FSX standard weather with no crosswinds.😁

Edited by Ricardo41

12 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I just noticed the same problem on my newly purchased Phenom 100 for FSX-Steam. Is there a solution to this? I suspect that the majority of Carenado customers a) never actually land their planes and/or b) just use FSX standard weather with no crosswinds.😁

Only solution I know of is to use rudder trim during final which does allow you to compensate for crosswinds but that is not realistic eh. Question is whether the Phenom 300 also has this problem.

Could it perhaps be that one of the autopilot functions is still active preventing you using the rudder?

Edited by Fearless

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

May work if the YD is activated before the AP is activated. In the Aircraft.cfg I disabled the yaw_damper_gain by changing it from 1 to 0.

Give that a try... I didn't notice any difference whether the YD was on or off but the rudder functioned fine in flight.

Edited by Fearless
  • Like 1

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

On 5/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, Fearless said:

I didn't notice any difference whether the YD was on or off but the rudder functioned fine in flight.

That's because the YD has been built into the FDE already. Setting the YD to zero avoids the rudder limiting YD action when you are disengaging the AP.

That's why the YD should be only a 'fake' light/indication, but it unfortunately isn't. 

Btw. this is valid for all Carenado/Alabeo airplanes.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1