Sign in to follow this  
chiefnwa

ASCA vs Soft Clouds

So I currently have (and have had) soft clouds for quite a while. I like the textures but they didn't install properly into V4. Yes, I know it's not technically compatible but I gave it a try. It didn't work and now I have no cloud textures.

I just got AS16/ASP4 (upgraded from ASN) and I like the idea of having variable cloud textures, and from the pictures, the textures look pretty decent.

What do you all think? Upgrade to ASCA or stick around for the Rex update?

I use Envtex which is compatible with ASCA/AS16 for V4 .  Great texture pack

Because Rex 4 Texture Direct and Soft Clouds aren't ready for P3D v4 yet I decided to activate the textures within ASCA  ..... something I wouldn't of done if Rex was ready  .... and I must say I am very impressed!!

Rex need to get their skates on otherwise more people might be tempted to do this!! 

Personally I use Soft Clouds with V4. ASCA just doesn't sit well with me, looks weird and the clouds look very unnatural in many cases. Especially those cloud formations made up of many clouds just look downright awful. While Soft Clouds isn't perfect either, it looks a damn side better in my opinion.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I do not have ASCA, but Soft Clouds works vry well for me in v4.

I have REX and ASCA/AS16 for V4. Since REX isn't ready for v4. I may very well stay with ASCA/AS16. They're quick when it comes to updates.

REX has lead the airport and weather textures since they came on the scene in 2009, and IMHO there just isn't anything that comes close - likely due to the fact that nobody has (or will) but the time and effort into these textures that REX does. Also, REX customer support and their support for their older products is unrivaled regardless of the flight sim product one would compare them to!

REX has some INCREDIBLE products coming to market this year, and they are going to change our sim experience - not taking it up one level, but several levels!  At the very least I'd recommend getting on their mailing list!

Man, it's an exciting time for flight sim!  Just a few years ago we were wondering if FSX was the best we'd ever have - just look at us now!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Without question ASP4 and ASCA -  They are designed to work together to give you the best overall experience. Other clouds etc will work but they weren't designed to work with ASP4. IMHO, the dynamic cloud effects in real time with ASP4/ASCA are second to none and not available with other product.

But remember - anything that requires a visual interpretation is purely subjective and in the eye of the beholder. There is no "wrong" product - just different choices.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

REX has lead the airport and weather textures since they came on the scene in 2009, and IMHO there just isn't anything that comes close - likely due to the fact that nobody has (or will) but the time and effort into these textures that REX does. Also, REX customer support and their support for their older products is unrivaled regardless of the flight sim product one would compare them to!

REX has some INCREDIBLE products coming to market this year, and they are going to change our sim experience - not taking it up one level, but several levels!  At the very least I'd recommend getting on their mailing list!

Man, it's an exciting time for flight sim!  Just a few years ago we were wondering if FSX was the best we'd ever have - just look at us now!

Well if you mean that REX copied the leading product (FEX) which still today has the better quality and variation of cloud/water/sky textures. What REX have been good at is marketing.

Don't take my word for it, look at the alpha channels (which is what defines the cloud quality) compared with FEX.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that ASCA/AS16 is strictly weather/cloud and sky texture. REX on the other hand does that plus you can change airport ground textures: water, runways, aprons, airport lighting and other enhancements.

AS / ASCA / EnvTex

• Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Just now, GSalden said:

AS / ASCA / EnvTex

👍🏻

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, ErichB said:

I use Envtex which is compatible with ASCA/AS16 for V4 .  Great texture pack

A very big +1.   Nicest combo I've seen in a long time.  The Envtex textures were created with ASCA specifically in mind.  Here's a link https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, bills511 said:

.REX . . you can change airport ground textures: water, runways, aprons, airport lighting and other enhancements.

Envtex also does this--and a lot more.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

23 minutes ago, GSalden said:

AS / ASCA / EnvTex

Blimey, that little lot comes in at over 100 EUROS :bengong:

• Upvote 1