Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Foreflight in V4?

I was hoping that Lockheed Martin was fixing the GPS Out in the 4.1 update to fix the lag in data to Foreflight and provide traffic data but they have not. I was very surprised this year when moving from Fsx Steam to P3Dv4 of the Down grade with respect to this. With Fsx Steam and Fsxflight the traffic option shows up in Foreflight in the upper left drop down menu because Fsx provides the imbedded traffic information like you have an ADSB receiver. With P3Dv4 not so, so the traffic option does not even display on that menu thus you will never see the option "Traffic" to turn it on. With the lag of the wifi data to Foreflight the airplane warbles back and forth, forcing you to set Foreflight to Auto Center Mode to north up. Other wise the whole map warbles back and forth. This also affects Foreflights Synthetic Vision,if you have that option, making it unusable. Since P3D4.0 release I've always had a wabbly aircraft on Foreflight even when using Fsxflight but I just realized from this thread that I've always had that box checked thinking it was necessary for Fsxflight to work. So I've never really been using Fsxflight this whole time! I unchecked the box and and started Fsxflight and it works great now now I can set Foreflight to track up and synthetic vision works great again. Now all that LM need to do is provide data for traffic like Fsx Steam. Otherwise 4.1 was an awesome upgrade with respect to VR. Native VR works terrific with a lot more outside view options, eye point keys work again inside and outside the cockpit, it's silky smooth in stereoscopic mode and mono, and the mouse. 

I will just add that I use Foreflight in my airplane and have a Stratus ADSB receiver. It connects to Foreflight by wifi output to the IPad. When the Stratus is off the traffic option in the menu disappears, when it's on the traffic option appears in the menu allowing you to turn it on or off in the display. 

Brian

1 hour ago, Brian K Unruh said:

but I just realized from this thread that I've always had that box checked thinking it was necessary for Fsxflight to work. So I've never really been using Fsxflight this whole time! I unchecked the box and and started Fsxflight and it works great now now I can set Foreflight to track up and synthetic vision works great again.

I assume you mean you unchecked Broadcast GPS in P3Dv4.  I also have done that to use FSXFlight gps data but the aircraft heading is off by ~25 degrees, not wobbly, just off by that amount all the time.  When I connect to PilotEdge I do get traffic.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, medx421 said:

On the Foreflight maps layer, click the drop down in the upper left and ensure that "traffic" is checked.  Works like a charm.  I do not have the heading bug issues that others are describing.  I use FSXFlight.

I'm using FSXFlight also in P3d 4.1 and have perfect 1 meter accurate GPS with other aircraft showing up as well.

49 minutes ago, Mad_Mac said:

I'm using FSXFlight also in P3d 4.1 and have perfect 1 meter accurate GPS with other aircraft showing up as well.

So, any idea why my heading is off?  I’ve used FSXFlight for years in FSX with no issues. I don’t know of any settings that would affect it. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I did some flying today using Fsxflight and it worked great, heading was always within 1 or 2 degrees. I have recently updated fsuipc to ver 5.12b there is a gps out tab in fsuipc and the manual with it talks about an iOS devices setting recommended in prepar3d.cfg file that should be set to yes. Might help.

3 hours ago, Brian K Unruh said:

I did some flying today using Fsxflight and it worked great, heading was always within 1 or 2 degrees. I have recently updated fsuipc to ver 5.12b there is a gps out tab in fsuipc and the manual with it talks about an iOS devices setting recommended in prepar3d.cfg file that should be set to yes. Might help.

Thanks.  I'm using 5.12c and I just tried the SimModeIndicator=Yes but no joy.  Still the same.  I don't think the FSUIPC GPSOut functions are in play for FSXFlight to the iPad.  But in the process I loaded an aircraft in which I had not installed the new RealityXP GNS430W v2.  The heading was perfect, then when I loaded an airplane with the GNS installed as soon as I turned it ON the heading flipped over 25 deg left.  Very odd but I'll query RXP in their subforum.

That's interesting, and a great find. At least it gives you a good direction to a solution. Almost seems like your getting magnetic interference when you power up. Not sure why the realityXP would mess up Fsxflight but I'm sure there is a shared software connection with the data their both using.

14 hours ago, Brian K Unruh said:

That's interesting, and a great find. At least it gives you a good direction to a solution. Almost seems like your getting magnetic interference when you power up. Not sure why the realityXP would mess up Fsxflight but I'm sure there is a shared software connection with the data their both using.

So now I've found the issue when using FSXFlight (not the Broadcast GPS in P3D).  It seems the RealityXP GNS v2 has a sign error in the magvar overwrite and creates the issue.  See this discussion at their support forum.
Link to thread

BTW, RXP was great in looking into it and finding a fix quickly!

I still have no success at all with P3Dv4 VATSIM traffic showing up in ForeFlight using the default GPS broadcast, the FSUIPC GPS broadcast, and FSXFlight.  Ownship position works fine.

Can someone who has had success with traffic share their settings/setup?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

A reinstall of FSXFlight and FSUIPC in conjunction with turning my firewall completely off didn’t seem to help either.  Ownship position still works great, just no VATSIM traffic.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

On 10/8/2017 at 10:11 AM, medx421 said:

On the Foreflight maps layer, click the drop down in the upper left and ensure that "traffic" is checked.  Works like a charm.  I do not have the heading bug issues that others are describing.  I use FSXFlight.

I’m running p3d v4.1 with ForeFlight and FSXFlight and the traffic option still never shows in my maps layer... is it a ProVersion only feature?

I do not believe the traffic option is limited to the Pro or Pro Plus ForeFlight subscriptions.  I do believe the issue is that you need a source of traffic info being provided to FSXFlight.  I'm not a VATSIM user but I don't think that connection provides traffic outputs.. PilotEdge client does.  I also do not believe that P3D v4 currently provides any AI traffic output along with the GPS outputs for FSXFlight.

So in order to have the Traffic option available and to see traffic you must be using some service that provides traffic outputs.

I could be wrong and some P3D v4 or Vatsim expert can correct me.