Sign in to follow this  
red fred

Strange issue with the 777 fmc after reinstall

Yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled both my PMDG B747 QOTS II and my PMDG 777LR/F to the latest installer, as adviced.

Everything went really smooth.

Today I wanted to testfly the 777 so I prepared a short flight from VHHH to ZSPD.

I did my preflight, inserted the appropriate runway and route.

When I wanted to check te route on the legs page, a CTD occured.

I restarted, went through the same steps with again the same result. I reinstalled my navdata and tried again. Same result; CTD.

So every time I try to enter the legs page with an active flight I get a CTD. Just after startup with no flightdata in the FMC, I can enter the legs page without a problem.

But when I tried to enter my flightplan with direct waypoints into the legs page it also crashed.

In all these events my ADIRU/IRS was still alligning.

I found out that once the ADIRU is online, I can enter waypoints, flightplans, an I can approach the legs page without a problem.

This phenomenon never occured before yesterdays update.

Is this something PMDG changed in this update and is this way of inserting flightplans as it should be, or is this some kind of bug.

Love to hear from you guys.

Greetings

Fred Schellens

I did a quick test, not sure if it's following the procedures you did.

777 was uninstalled and re-installed yesterday

Nav data up to date

Cold and Dark start

Battery on

Connect ground power

Ground power switches on

All lights on (this was just me checking the outside view - it was dark when I tested)

Wait for annoying noises

VHHH in airport and dep airport

ZSPD in arrival airport

ADIRU on

Go to LEGS page

These are the only procedures I followed, I didn't get a CTD when I did it. The route wasn't loaded (either from externally or manually) as I haven't got one to hand. Happy to set one up in PFPX, or if you've got yours I can try with that.

Edited by Harma43
Added a couple of procedures I'd done

I tried with both long and short cockpit setups, but not with a cold and dark.

Tried that just now, and I got another CTD.

Must be something wrong with my configuration.

38 minutes ago, shortspecialbus said:

Have you tried the obvious uninstall/reinstall?  

-stefan strandberg

The obvious uninstall and reinstall that PMDG specifically recommend NOT doing?

26 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

The obvious uninstall and reinstall that PMDG specifically recommend NOT doing?

Where did they state that?  The Jul 01 post states to completely uninstall before installing.  If they said otherwise, they certainly didn't do it in a prominent place.

-stefan strandberg

Edit:

A few key notes on these new installers, if you elect to install them now:

Completely remove the 747 and 777 you have already installed.  Do this for all of our sanity...

21 minutes ago, shortspecialbus said:

Where did they state that?  The Jul 01 post states to completely uninstall before installing.  If they said otherwise, they certainly didn't do it in a prominent place.

That's for updating the software, not troubleshooting.

5 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

That's for updating the software, not troubleshooting.

Where have they said don't try uninstalling and re-installing?  I'm not seeing that in any of the stickies or any other prominent place either.  I'm not saying they haven't said that, I'm just curious where they've specifically recommended NOT doing.  If that's the case, they should really make it more prominent, since it's the obvious first step for all sorts of software problems.  Please don't think I'm calling you a liar or anything like that, I'm certainly not, it's just not something I've seen anywhere before.  I don't spend a lot of time on this forum, I'll admit.

-stefan strandberg

21 minutes ago, shortspecialbus said:

Where have they said don't try uninstalling and re-installing?  I'm not seeing that in any of the stickies or any other prominent place either.  I'm not saying they haven't said that, I'm just curious where they've specifically recommended NOT doing.  If that's the case, they should really make it more prominent, since it's the obvious first step for all sorts of software problems.  Please don't think I'm calling you a liar or anything like that, I'm certainly not, it's just not something I've seen anywhere before.  I don't spend a lot of time on this forum, I'll admit.

-stefan strandberg

It's not pinned, but Kyle is always going on to people about uninstalling and reinstalling to try and fix issues. It normally just creates more problems. Generally with P3D, most issues are caused by some conflicting addon somewhere, so an uninstall and reinstall isn't going to fix that issue, you need to find what the problematic addon is.

Well, hopefully their new installer has eliminated any bizarre problems that you can get from uninstalling and reinstalling.  Normally with addons that's a perfectly reasonable first step as it lets you quickly eliminate a problem with the install.  I've fixed countless addon issues over the years by reinstalling, and then I can forgo a ticket to support or a forum post or whatever.  If that's something that PMDG doesn't want people doing, they might want to sticky that as it's a very common first step with software troubleshooting.  But I digress.  I'll end the derail, since it's not very nice to OP to hijack his or her thread for it - sorry!

-stefan strandberg

6 minutes ago, shortspecialbus said:

they might want to sticky that as it's a very common first step with software troubleshooting.

I definitely agree with you here. A pinned troubleshooting steps post would definitely go a long way in helping people get started.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shortspecialbus said:

I don't know that they've ever specifically had a sticky post that said this, but any time somebody has tried to un-install and re-install, Kyle always points out that that's the last thing they should be doing unless specifically instructed, as that can introduce more problems than they can solve. So Chris isn't seeing things.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

If using the provided uninstaller and then reinstalling with the provided installer created problems, I am very happy that they took the time to create new installers.  That should never create more problems.  Here's to hoping that they've solved that problem, as that particular concern is almost always one of the first things done for troubleshooting by end users.  Or at least they should sticky it, or have the uninstaller tell them to stop doing it until they've been told to by support, even, since it's so counterintuitive.  Reinstalling is just behind rebooting for windows tech support "try that and see if it fixes it."  Just my $0.02.  I'm a Linux admin so I'll admit my windows desktop support knowledge is probably pretty outdated.

Really though, I'm ending my derail!  Sorry for the bad advice!

-stefan strandberg

Hello,

Did you check the windows event viewer? Maybe it'll show you the file that causes the CTD. 

My last CTD was caused by a dll file from ultimate traffic live, which I did reinstall afterwards. No new CTD yet.

Cheers

Ben

13 hours ago, red fred said:

Yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled both my PMDG B747 QOTS II and my PMDG 777LR/F to the latest installer, as adviced.

Everything went really smooth.

Today I wanted to testfly the 777 so I prepared a short flight from VHHH to ZSPD.

I did my preflight, inserted the appropriate runway and route.

When I wanted to check te route on the legs page, a CTD occured.

I restarted, went through the same steps with again the same result. I reinstalled my navdata and tried again. Same result; CTD.

So every time I try to enter the legs page with an active flight I get a CTD. Just after startup with no flightdata in the FMC, I can enter the legs page without a problem.

But when I tried to enter my flightplan with direct waypoints into the legs page it also crashed.

In all these events my ADIRU/IRS was still alligning.

I found out that once the ADIRU is online, I can enter waypoints, flightplans, an I can approach the legs page without a problem.

This phenomenon never occured before yesterdays update.

Is this something PMDG changed in this update and is this way of inserting flightplans as it should be, or is this some kind of bug.

Hi Fred,

I am running FSX Steam.  Just want to note that with the newest version of the 777-200LR, I had a problem that appears to be fixed by using a fresh panel state and newly entered flight plan

.  I loaded a ready for takeoff situation using an existing panel state, including flight plan.  After take off I simulated an engine failure.  In trying to return to the airport, upon choosing an approach from the list of approaches for the departure airport, FSX crashed.  This happened twice.

I then set up a similar situation, but using the default, engines-on panel state, creating a new flight plan using the CDU to enter it, and no more crash.

So my point  is, if you are using an old situation/flightplan/whatever, maybe that is the source of your problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2