Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Hot, High, & Short – Summer Fun in Central Idaho (July 15)

Hot, High, & Short – Summer Fun in Central Idaho (July 15)

Starting from Idaho County (S80) this trip features 25 airstrips and will require two weeks to complete.  We will visit many old favorites such as Dewey Moore and Mile Hi in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness.  We will finish near the center of the Eastern Snake River Plain at Big Southern Butte. The terrain is rugged and high, the bush strips are short with tricky approaches so a powerful, maneuverable, and rugged aircraft will be needed.  Expect to do some “yanking and banking” as  there will be very few landings with 5 mile final approaches.  I will be flying a turbo modded Cessna 185 Skywagon in USFS livery.  Other suitable aircraft include the Beaver and the Maule.  

595a70a7ef6cf_USFSC185.thumb.jpg.8d32f964e8210133ef65fb87c97de06e.jpg

Flight Plan is HERE

Required Scenery: Orbx Central Rocky Mountains

Particulars

Date and time: July 15, 2017, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR TeamSpeak - Casual Flights Channel

TeamSpeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your initial clock to 1745 in local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.

Edited by jt_williams
Revised Start Date

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Must be gruesome viewing. Restricted viewing, Sign in. It WAS fun to read the comments though.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Lucky to survive someone's poor decision making abilities.  Pilot had a lot of time to pull the power off and set it down. 

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Dang! They were very lucky to get out of that one. That plane crumpled like paper.

Video of some of the route

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

For what it's worth. If you are flying the Carenado C185 Tundra, you might consider sticking with (or reverting to) the original Carenado stock flight model (2010) by Gleen Davy and Bernt Stolle. This, instead of the updated Bernt Stolle (2011) flight model. The stock flight model is more maneuverable and thus more useful for Idaho mountain airstrips. (I don't know which flight model is more accurate.)

All this before you go about adding the mountain-flying-demanded Roman's Flying Services turbo charger conversion.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Mile_Hi_Airstrip_Idaho_400.jpg

Should you have a strong need to waste time, you might like to see some videos that show landings at the airstrips that Jeff has selected. Some preparation might be advised. Many of these films are fairly interesting and certainly provide some hints about how to set up your approaches. The compilation of descriptions and links is available from my DropBox account here.

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

2) There was no texture.cfg provided leading to many textures missing (IE tires). Copy Jeff's over to this paint folder & Mike's too! (also missing)

Copy Jeff's what? Surely if one copies everything it will replace your chosen paint! I struggled for ages last night trying to figure it out and for an hour this morning! I may end up with seeing you as a dinky wheeled version.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

"Copy" Jeff's texture.cfg from the texture.N7404A folder and paste it into both the texture.N60871 & texture.N70253 folders. The downloads didn't have them therefore any texture that was missing didn't have a fallback to the main texture folder. Easy peasy.

Ahh Eureka! The US Forest Service paint of Jeff's on my system was from a different download, OZx or somethin. I've had for many years now so no real clue.. The AVSIM download does not include the texture.cfg where mine did. 
Sorry there buddy, didn't mean to confuse you. Mike has got it handled in the next post - Thanks!

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

For those who need one, a standard texture.cfg is posted here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1