Sign in to follow this  
dlm9000

Sorting Out My Addons

After a long break from flight simming, I am back and building a dedicated machine setup.  I got the hardware I wanted and all set there. (Intel 7700K, liquid cooling, 16 gigs of RAM, nvidia GTX 1080, SSDs).  I am reading through the setup guide pinned here for config file optimization.   Now I am getting the environment back to something like I had before during my virtual sightseeing flying around Europe.   I am getting new versions of some of the add-ons as they have changed, and I am trying to get my head around them.

First, I have FSX SE with Active Sky Next (ASN). I went with ASN because I eventually want to use the PMDG aircraft that use the WX RADAR that works with ASN. 

For Ground Textures and landclass, I am going to use Ground Environment 2.0 and Ultimate Terrain 2.0. (I used versions 1.0 last time) 

For Mesh Terrain, I was going to use FSGenesis (Do I still need this with the new versions of GEX and UTX? )

For Sky Environment, I want to use REX, but I am not sure which. product I need. Since I don't want to use the REX weather engine I am not sure if I need REX Essentials + Overdrive.  Maybe Soft Clouds Texture Direct?  Also, I am not sure the environment will be automatic based on WX if I am not using the REX weather engine.  Will it work with Active Sky? The REX Support staff is off for the Holiday and I thought maybe someone here could help.

Lastly, if this stack will work, is there a right order to the stack?  Any help is appreciated. I so badly want to get in my A2A 172 and 182 and start flying, but I have to get the 'world' sorted out first. 

Dennis

20 hours ago, dlm9000 said:

Maybe Soft Clouds Texture Direct?  Also, I am not sure the environment will be automatic based on WX if I am not using the REX weather engine.  Will it work with Active Sky? The REX Support staff is off for the Holiday and I thought maybe someone here could help.

I found the following guidance - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491573-looks-like-as16-asca-rex-soft-clouds-can-work-together/

FS Genesis will not work properly with UTX.  It is one or the other.  GEX replaces the default textures and are optimized for better performance so that is a no-brainer.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

20 hours ago, dlm9000 said:

Lastly, if this stack will work, is there a right order to the stack?

Forgot to mention there is no particular add-on order for the products mention as they simply replace default things.  If you have Orbx/FTX stuff, it will override any mesh data used by UTX and when you fly out of the Orbx/FTX areas, UTX will be used.  If you have an add-on AI program like MyTrafficX, place that just above Propellers in the Scenery.cfg.  Any scenery installed over that will override any of the scenery provided by MyTrafficX but many have gone in and renamed some of the scenery afcads in MyTraffic that you have installed above MyTraffic to avoid conflicts.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

@dlm9000, I have just built a very similar rig to yours except I used my existing 970 and went with Steam edition with v2 of GEX NA, UTX Candada v2 and UTX USA v2 and it looks great with very good performance results. For me it is a fair trade off against probably a more superior but more expensive Orbx setup which if anything like their PNW, is pretty demanding on performance.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 7/4/2017 at 9:15 AM, Jim Young said:

I found the following guidance - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491573-looks-like-as16-asca-rex-soft-clouds-can-work-together/

FS Genesis will not work properly with UTX.  It is one or the other.  GEX replaces the default textures and are optimized for better performance so that is a no-brainer.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

I've run FSGenesis with UTX and GEX since 2009 and haven't had any issues. FSGenesis is just a mesh product and hasn't interfered with any UTX vector/landclass or GEX textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator