Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

PMDG 747 unflyable

Ever since the last two updates, my 747 has been virtually unflyabe. Everything seems to be working right at take off but seconds later its struggles to climb. With auto pilot, VNAV and LNAV enabled, the aircraft can barely get to 100fpm, then soon after begins a very slow nose dive to the ground and loses power badly. I've never seen anything like this. Before the last update, I was able to somehow get out of it and continue a smooth flight, but the last update, I cannot get this bird to maintain a steady climb with LNAV and VNAV enabled..Had to quit the sim. Anyone else having this problem?

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Troy,

I've not come across this particular problem myself with the QOTS v3.  However, when any piece of software doesn't work as expected it can sometimes pay to remove it and start again with a clean install.  At your own risk, I suggest you uninstall the aircraft using Control Panel/Programs and Features and then carry out a fresh install (using the latest B744 aircraft file from your PMDG account).  If that doesn't work then you should send a support ticket to PMDG because the next recovery steps I could suggest - but won't - can become complicated. Good luck!

Betrie Goddard 

Troy, never found a problem with the Queen. However, autopilot / VNAV / LNAV are NEVER activated during takeoff and initial climb, generally never below 1.000 ft. Usually most 747 pilots fly the complete departure manually until 10.000 ft. Using normal procedures your aircraft should behave normally. 

Kind regards,

Fritz

• Upvote 1

Thanks Betrie, its worth a try.

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

12 minutes ago, berts said:

However, when any piece of software doesn't work as expected it can sometimes pay to remove it and start again with a clean install.  At your own risk, I suggest you uninstall the aircraft using Control Panel/Programs and Features and then carry out a fresh install (using the latest B744 aircraft file from your PMDG account).  If that doesn't work then you should send a support ticket to PMDG because the next recovery steps I could suggest - but won't - can become complicated.

PMDG does NOT recommend doing that UNLESS absolutely nothing else works, so you'd be better off submitting a support ticket first to see what they say, and only uninstall and re-install it if they suggest it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

5 hours ago, troyboy66 said:

Ever since the last two updates, my 747 has been virtually unflyabe. Everything seems to be working right at take off but seconds later its struggles to climb. With auto pilot, VNAV and LNAV enabled, the aircraft can barely get to 100fpm, then soon after begins a very slow nose dive to the ground and loses power badly. I've never seen anything like this. Before the last update, I was able to somehow get out of it and continue a smooth flight, but the last update, I cannot get this bird to maintain a steady climb with LNAV and VNAV enabled..Had to quit the sim. Anyone else having this problem?

First step: Try it again with no weather programs running (active sky etc.)

If no change

Second Step: Remove all hardware joysticks/throttles etc. and try with just keyboard and mouse

If you're using FSUIPC and above doesn't work

Third Step: Remove the FSUIPC profile

DON'T uninstall and reinstall. That's terrible advice and isn't likely to fix anything. You need to rule out what is causing the problem instead of blindly uninstalling and reinstalling software with your fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

PMDG does NOT recommend doing that UNLESS absolutely nothing else works, so you'd be better off submitting a support ticket first to see what they say, and only uninstall and re-install it if they suggest it.

Accepted, Kevin.

However, Troy said that his 744 has been virtually unflyable since his last two updates, so any problem he has could be caused or complicated by more than one unsuccessful update, which is why - given the limited amnount of information in Troy's post -  I said "it can sometimes pay to remove it and start again with a clean install.  At your own risk,..."etc. 

Provided a user knows his own PC hardware and OS isn't the cause of the problem then I still say it can sometimes be worth reinstalling a piece of software that is misbehaving.  It has certainly worked for me more times than I care to remember - including the QOTS III, so it is not terrible advice per se.  However, if you have an Adaptec SCSI driver for Windows10 please let me know because I cannot get the darned thing to work with anything other than XP.

Berite Goddard              

23 minutes ago, berts said:

Provided a user knows his own PC hardware and OS isn't the cause of the problem then I still say it can sometimes be worth reinstalling a piece of software that is misbehaving.  It has certainly worked for me more times than I care to remember - including the QOTS III, so it is not terrible advice per se.  However, if you have an Adaptec SCSI driver for Windows10 please let me know because I cannot get the darned thing to work with anything other than XP.

Berite Goddard              

It's better to rule out all other influences into the system such as 3rd party programs/hardware before uninstalling reinstalling anything.

I really appreciate your support guys. Thanks....At the moment no other  third party software or program have been installed for more than a couple months. I'm considering AS16 and FSUIPC as the culprit, though I did have a problem with FSUIPC last week, when my controls were thrown off. Everything got messed up but I thought I managed to get it resolved. I will uninstall/reinstall that first to see if it makes a difference. Thanks a bunch...

Troy

Troy Kemp

2 hours ago, berts said:

Accepted, Kevin.

However, Troy said that his 744 has been virtually unflyable since his last two updates, so any problem he has could be caused or complicated by more than one unsuccessful update, which is why - given the limited amnount of information in Troy's post -  I said "it can sometimes pay to remove it and start again with a clean install.  At your own risk,..."etc. 

Provided a user knows his own PC hardware and OS isn't the cause of the problem then I still say it can sometimes be worth reinstalling a piece of software that is misbehaving.  It has certainly worked for me more times than I care to remember - including the QOTS III, so it is not terrible advice per se.

Right. Sometimes it might help to re-install it, but he'd be better off sending a support ticket first, so they can try to troubleshoot it in case they think of something that we haven't on the forums. Then if nothing else works and they tell him to do it, then he can go ahead and do that. That's how they prefer to have it done.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Well, the Queen is flying beautifully now and looks like FSUIPC was the problem. After following Pete's unnstall/reinstall process of FSUIPC, everything seems good Thanks again for all your help gents.

I do want to add that the first most recent update of PMDG's 747 may have altered FSUIPC settings, if thats even possible. And since I see there are other people here with weird behaviors of the 747/777aircraft after updating, I would strongly suggest uninstalling/reinstalling that first, just as the guys here recommended.

Troy Kemp

4 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

Well, the Queen is flying beautifully now and looks like FSUIPC was the problem. After following Pete's unnstall/reinstall process of FSUIPC, everything seems good Thanks again for all your help gents.

This is usually the issue. FSUIPC is very powerful, and it gets its power from getting into the guts of the sim pretty well. All the same, if something isn't set properly, or there's a conflict, that low-level, direct access to the sim can cause all kinds of issues, as you saw.

Instead of uninstalling re-installing FSUIPC (or our aircraft), in the future, I'd definitely recommend just going into the <sim root>\Modules folder and pulling the FSUIPC.ini out of it (put it in the main sim folder temporarily as a 'backup'). It'll rebuild on the next sim run in a 'clean' state (so any of your settings will be gone, but any errors in configuration won't be there either). If that clears the issue, then it's your config in FSUIPC. You can then rebuild it all, or put the file back in there and try to find where the mis-configuration is.

Kyle Rodgers

50 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

Great news, Troy, and I hope you enjoy the 744 QOTS III as much as I do

It's a pity you didn't mention you had FSUIPC installed in your first post, otherwise I would have given you similar advice to Kyle and the others here and not jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I'm pleased to hear you managed to fixe your problem by uninstalling and re-installing FSUIPC  - i.e. removing it and starting again as I orifginally suggested - so i rest my case!!   I'm just relieved this isn't Combat Flight Simulator we are talking about, otherwise I could have been shot down in flames!!

Happy flying.

Bertie Goddard

4 hours ago, berts said:

I'm pleased to hear you managed to fixe your problem by uninstalling and re-installing FSUIPC  - i.e. removing it and starting again as I orifginally suggested - so i rest my case!!

Really Bertie? You and I both know fully well that we're talking about uninstalling and reinstalling PMDG products. Not to mention, as Kyle had said, removing the FSUIPC.ini file would also have fixed the issue and would have avoided the reinstall.

Fact:

Uninstalls/reinstalls are largely a giant waste of time. There are many steps before you get to this point that are not only recommended, but save you time, and avoid other potential issues.

Sure, they occasionally work, but so does burning a house down to fix a leaky faucet. You could fix the faucet in an afternoon and a trip to a hardware store for about $20; or you could spend a few hundred grand on a new house, and wait a few months.

With troubleshooting, you learn how to fix or entirely avoid issues. Uninstall/reinstall, you learn nothing, and most of the time, waste time. In this case, he got lucky that the uninstall/reinstall removed the FSUIPC.ini in the process.

Kyle Rodgers