Sign in to follow this  
RobWhightNZ

PFD/ND compatible with PMDG/P3DV4 preferably on iPad ?

All,

Currently going through a full reinstall of all of my set up starting from a clean copy of Windows 10 etc. (nothing wrong with the set up previously per se but had become bloated over years of odd software installs, etc.)

Turning my mind to my age old issue of wanting to look out of the window rather than keep panning the view into the cockpit and was thinking about options for seperate PFD and ND displays. Ideally I'm after something that would meet the following criteria:

- must work with PMDG (747 QoTS, 777, 737NGX) - at least with one and if not all three currently then working towards that in time (could be three different pieces of software by same supplier maybe)

- must work with P3DV4

- can rely on fully paid up FSUIPC

- preferably works on iPad but Andriod would be ok too (idea being that I could buy myself a second tablet solely for this)

- needs to show real PFD, I.e. Connect with V speeds, flight director etc. ND needs to respond to range changes etc. (similar functionality approach to the FMC I use from Virtual Avionics)

Project Magenta sounds a step too far for me. I've seem 'generic' type versions of the above but they don't do the appropriate speeds on the PFD for example.

any pointers ?

many thanks,

rob

The v4 requirement alone makes this an unlikely quest for the time being - even more so for the NGX considering that it's not even out for v4 itself yet, let alone any third party software to work with it.

As far as I was aware even VAInterface for the FMC hasn't even been updated yet.

Mark Fox

Hi Rob,

I've been through this very issue wanting the very same thing, and having not found an app that does that, I've turned to extra monitors.

First I tried using Duet Display app to make my iPad an extra monitor (on top of my two-screen setup), and was able to undock the pop-up PFD & ND screens and drag them to the iPad display. However I wasn't fully satisfied with Duet as it was a bit temperamental at times and was a hassle.

After that I found and bought a 15.6 inch USB monitor by AOC, which proved to be a much simpler solution - I'd hook up the USB monitor just before I boot up P3D, load up the scenario, and as part of my pre-flight routine I'd open up the pop-up PFD and ND screens, undock them and drag them to the USB monitor. I gather from your username that you're from NZ as well, in which case I'll include a link to where I got my USB monitor from: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/15-6-aoc-usb-monitor/22171210

The upsides of the USB monitor:

1. Achieves the goal of displaying PFD/ND separately, so the main monitor can be used mainly to look out the window.
  2. Displays the real PMDG PFD/ND straight from the simulator, doesn't need any 3rd party software.
  3. Doesn't tie up the iPad, which I use for Charts.
  4. I've also started undocking the EFIS, MCP, and upper and lower EICAS popups and moving them to my 2nd (full size) monitor to the side, on top of having PFD/ND on the 3rd (USB) monitor - this allowed me to use the Cockpit view (the one without VC) during flight, which gives an unobstructed view out the window with higher framerates (as the sim doesn't have to render VC); and just use virtual cockpit during pre-flight and taxiing

Now for the downsides:

1. I haven't worked out a way to save the undocked PFD/ND positions, so for every flight I have to undock, drag and resize. However within the same simulator session, once in position you can close the popups and they'll reopen where you left them on the USB monitor when you next open them.
  2. Unfortunately the undocked PFD/ND windows have borders and a title bar, which I'm not sure if you can remove (I haven't tried anyway).
  3. The PFD/ND won't fill up the entire USB monitor, so I changed my desktop background to a dark one to make sure the gaps and leftover space wouldn't look out of place (in fact I used the P3D desktop background included in the P3D folder - thanks LM)
  4. The USB monitor's colour profile isn't quite as spot-on as my main monitors, but for the purpose of displaying PFD and ND it is more than adequate.
  5. There's also a slight performance hit - I've since got into the habit of undocking the upper and lower EICAS screens, as well as the EFIS and MCP and having them on my second (full size) monitor in addition to PFD/ND on the 3rd (USB) monitor, and when they're all undocked there's a slight framerate hit in the virtual cockpit view. To minimise the hit on framerate, I undock and move them all into position during preflight, close them during taxi when I'm using virtual cockpit, and reopen the popups as I reach the runway.

So this sums up my setup, hope it helps (or at least gives you an idea or two) and I'm happy to answer any questions you (or anyone else) have about my setup.

Thanks guys - very helpful.

@cathay808 Awesome - looks like we're both trying to do the same thing. I'm guessing the few frames you lose with the extra monitor you probably make up for in not having the VC on display ? This is certainly the sort of setup I'm heading towards.

I have two 780Tis in SLI with three screens in surround. I might look at whether I have a spare monitor outlet that would work with this setup and an old monitor just to see if it would work.

thanks for the link - at $150 it is worth a gamble if I can't get a spare monitor working or if any monitor I have spare isn't the right size.

cheers,

Rob

On 4/07/2017 at 7:37 PM, RobWhightNZ said:

@cathay808 Awesome - looks like we're both trying to do the same thing. I'm guessing the few frames you lose with the extra monitor you probably make up for in not having the VC on display ? This is certainly the sort of setup I'm heading towards.

More than made up for by not having VC - baseline framerates (VC, no popup) about 24-25, dropped briefly to 17-18 when the popups were opened, rates then stabilised about 20-21fps, but once VC is removed with popups open for takeoff the framerates actually got up over 30 (around 33-34).

On 04/07/2017 at 1:39 AM, cathay808 said:

Hi Rob,

I've been through this very issue wanting the very same thing, and having not found an app that does that, I've turned to extra monitors.

First I tried using Duet Display app to make my iPad an extra monitor (on top of my two-screen setup), and was able to undock the pop-up PFD & ND screens and drag them to the iPad display. However I wasn't fully satisfied with Duet as it was a bit temperamental at times and was a hassle.

After that I found and bought a 15.6 inch USB monitor by AOC, which proved to be a much simpler solution - I'd hook up the USB monitor just before I boot up P3D, load up the scenario, and as part of my pre-flight routine I'd open up the pop-up PFD and ND screens, undock them and drag them to the USB monitor. I gather from your username that you're from NZ as well, in which case I'll include a link to where I got my USB monitor from: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/15-6-aoc-usb-monitor/22171210

The upsides of the USB monitor:

1. Achieves the goal of displaying PFD/ND separately, so the main monitor can be used mainly to look out the window.
  2. Displays the real PMDG PFD/ND straight from the simulator, doesn't need any 3rd party software.
  3. Doesn't tie up the iPad, which I use for Charts.
  4. I've also started undocking the EFIS, MCP, and upper and lower EICAS popups and moving them to my 2nd (full size) monitor to the side, on top of having PFD/ND on the 3rd (USB) monitor - this allowed me to use the Cockpit view (the one without VC) during flight, which gives an unobstructed view out the window with higher framerates (as the sim doesn't have to render VC); and just use virtual cockpit during pre-flight and taxiing

Now for the downsides:

1. I haven't worked out a way to save the undocked PFD/ND positions, so for every flight I have to undock, drag and resize. However within the same simulator session, once in position you can close the popups and they'll reopen where you left them on the USB monitor when you next open them.
  2. Unfortunately the undocked PFD/ND windows have borders and a title bar, which I'm not sure if you can remove (I haven't tried anyway).
  3. The PFD/ND won't fill up the entire USB monitor, so I changed my desktop background to a dark one to make sure the gaps and leftover space wouldn't look out of place (in fact I used the P3D desktop background included in the P3D folder - thanks LM)
  4. The USB monitor's colour profile isn't quite as spot-on as my main monitors, but for the purpose of displaying PFD and ND it is more than adequate.
  5. There's also a slight performance hit - I've since got into the habit of undocking the upper and lower EICAS screens, as well as the EFIS and MCP and having them on my second (full size) monitor in addition to PFD/ND on the 3rd (USB) monitor, and when they're all undocked there's a slight framerate hit in the virtual cockpit view. To minimise the hit on framerate, I undock and move them all into position during preflight, close them during taxi when I'm using virtual cockpit, and reopen the popups as I reach the runway.

So this sums up my setup, hope it helps (or at least gives you an idea or two) and I'm happy to answer any questions you (or anyone else) have about my setup.

Thanks for sharing - you've given me some fantastic food thought myself.

Moving house has given me a chance to reevaluate my own setup, so might try some of your method :)

Mark Fox