Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Moving Map required for use with P3D v3.4

When I flew FS9 and later FSX I used FSEarth by Luciano Napolitano. This placed my aircraft on an overlay of Google Earth and showed its heading and speed. There was also an option to show Ai but I didn't bother with that option. It was extremely useful in helping me identify cities, towns, villages, rivers and mountain ranges that I would not otherwise know.

Since switching to P3D v3.4 FSEarth won't work and after contacting Luciano it seems he's luke warm about making it compatible with that simulator.

I'm looking for a replacement. Requirements are pretty simple. Must use Google Earth or near equivalent, have a zoom function and should run via WideFS on another PC.

There has to be something like that available surely. Freeware or payware. I don't need anything that includes a flight planner.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello again Ray!

Little NavMap is excellent, but I also like Plan-G. For payware, the Aivilasoft Electronic Flight Bag... man, it's incredible.  It doesn't have Google Earth so it might not be what you're looking for in you're flying low and slow, but if you're flying an airliner then it's very tough to beat.  Ground, Departure, Enroute, Arrival and Approach Charts will be your moving map(s) and it will automatically transition you to each one as you fly or  you can manually go to whatever you wish. Fully sync'd with VATSIM to see other aircraft (even before you go online) and to see what controllers are online. I just won't fly without it, ever!.

I have and run all three programs listed above, and they are all P3DV4 compatible.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I especially like Free Air Map. It does what you want.

http://www.geminisoftware.de/index.html

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I also used FsEarth but switched to Flight Map. Some good options and not too expensive. I run it in both FSX and v4 on a 10" tablet uses Google Earth with options for Satellite or Hybrid. Have about 20 35 aircraft avatars to use for the moving display.

https://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightmap/

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

Thanks for all your suggestions. I should have mentioned I already use EFB but that is a navigation map. I specifically want a Google Earth type map and looking at all those suggested FlightMap comes the closest but only runs on a tablet. I have 2/3 of a 24" monitor free for a map so want something that runs on a PC and uses WideFS.

I found another thread last night and have downloaded GENav formerly payware but now freeware. It seems odd that there aren't any that use Google Earth. Do Google charge a fee for using their maps?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, David Mills said:

I especially like Free Air Map. It does what you want.

http://www.geminisoftware.de/index.html

I installed this into P3D v4  ... It worked beautifully well for the first day  ....

Booted my system up yesterday and no connectivity and interaction at all with P3D v4  .... The map is stuck at Cambridge in the UK (where I landed the day before)  ...

I have tried everything to get it going  .... Tried to run the manual  ... doesn't initiate .. looked on their website for the manual .. couldn't find it  ... so I decide ok  .. I'll uninstall it from my system ... and guess what  ..... No uninstaller  ...... Avoid this one Ray unless others can prove me wrong

Paul 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Well .. I have downloaded LittleNavmap and first impressions are very good indeed

Just completing a flight from Gatwick down to Nice and it's behaving itself very nicely indeed  ... I am impressed :)

Paul,

I agree. Installed and running remotely via SimConnect. I can't believe how good this is. Definitely payware standard.

Thank you @Twenty6, great find. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Paul,

I agree. Installed and running remotely via SimConnect. I can't believe how good this is. Definitely payware standard.

Thank you @Twenty6, great find. :biggrin:

Hi Ray

I think you are still on P3D version 3 if I am correct? 

Well I am pleased to say it is working top notch in P3D V4  .....

As you say  ..... a great find :)

Yes Paul, I am. I see there's a separate thread on this so I might post a suggestion there. If a flight plan is loaded in P3D it would be helpful if Little NavMap could detect it and load it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Good idea    ... me being lazy here .. do you have a link to that thread please?

58 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Good idea    ... me being lazy here .. do you have a link to that thread please?

Here you go. Alex has already answered my question and will add it. Just don't ask when. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

When I flew FS9 and later FSX I used FSEarth by Luciano Napolitano. This placed my aircraft on an overlay of Google Earth and showed its heading and speed. There was also an option to show Ai but I didn't bother with that option. It was extremely useful in helping me identify cities, towns, villages, rivers and mountain ranges that I would not otherwise know.

Since switching to P3D v3.4 FSEarth won't work and after contacting Luciano it seems he's luke warm about making it compatible with that simulator.

I'm looking for a replacement. Requirements are pretty simple. Must use Google Earth or near equivalent, have a zoom function and should run via WideFS on another PC.

There has to be something like that available surely. Freeware or payware. I don't need anything that includes a flight planner.

You may wish to try GE Nav.  It's now freeware and it uses Google Earth exclusively.  I think it's in the Avsim freeware utilities section.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.