Sign in to follow this  
thibodba57

Atlas Retro Paint

I started this project awhile ago but life sorta got in the way.  Anways, starting to put it together.  Thanks to SteveDra for contributing his beautiful tail to the project.  Anways hopefully inside the next week or so.  In addition to just the repaint I've added all the current weathering I have on my template to this project and plan on doing more.  To include wear on tires, inspection ports on the wings and engine pylons.

34894470823_78e41fe8bc_o.png

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Removed copy written photo as it is against Avsim TOS

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I really like this version of the Atlas livery.

Very simple and clean.

Great job on her Brian...can't wait to fly her.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

C'mon Steve, you know you blushed when he thanked you for your contributing your beautiful tail..  :)  That's Steve for you - gives you everything he's got..  :)

7 hours ago, psbrandenburg said:

C'mon Steve, you know you blushed when he thanked you for your contributing your beautiful tail..  :)  That's Steve for you - gives you everything he's got..  :)

Hey Scott.  I'm always honored when folks use my textures to help them with a paint.   I recall you and I working on a few joint projects way back in the LDS 767 days.  I think I may have your LTU textures around somewhere. :wink: (too bad they didn't fly the 747, think she'd look good in those colors)

Brian and I collaborated on a few planes so far, and one with an airline that you may have heard of...do you recall that small, obscure airline called Delta? :biggrin:  Brian did a bang-up job on the Queen wearing her colors, fantastic work on the details and weathering.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ok I was able to make it home for a couple days in the middle of my trip.  Don't know how I convinced scheduling to let me do it but I did it :biggrin:  Still coming along but a lot closer to being done.  All my "Weathering" is from things I actually see on my pre-flights and take pictures of.  SteveDra has my first beta right now hopefully he can get me some info on what he thinks needs fixing.

35938592505_407448e9d6_o.png

A lot going on in that one.  Nose Gear door has some grease on it.  I'm gonna add more but at the very least it shows something.  That door is always filthy in person.  Nose Cargo door has some weathering also.  Upper deck Flight Deck window streak as well as streaks on the Upper Deck Egress door and windows.  FWD Lower Deck Cargo door has some weathering.

35806464581_ed7bb995cc_o.png

Tires all have some form of brake dust or other oddity.  Tire the furthest aft has what looks like strokes of paint on the wheel....don't know what it is, but I commonly see that so I figured I'd add it.

35938594445_c7bbe0c721_o.png

35806465531_b116b9e833_o.png

APU Area and the tail in general got a lot of attention.  The drain ports also have some crud gathered around them.

35938595945_7360c73596_o.png

Another view of the tail.  The L5 door and the Main Deck Cargo door have some wear.

35806466471_170439281e_o.png

This is a new one for me to add.  If you look at some inspection ports on the pylons there is some streaks.  I don't think I made them dark enough.  Still debating going back and adjusting them a bit.  But those ports always seem to have a little bit of something on them.  The Engine reverse seem s to have a lot of streaks on them also.  On each engine you will see a bit of a streak at the reverse line.

35938597945_ecc4e5fbba_o.png

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/35806467081_972a3740c9_o.png[/img

The L1 door has a lot of work done to it.  The Upper Deck windows and the Flight Deck window streak as well as some streaks off the Nose Cargo door.

35939109145_5da990d63d_o.png

That sums it up for now.  I still want to put some streaks on the underside of the wing at the inspection ports and any changes SteveDra has in mind.  Hope its looking promising to you guys.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Awesome details Brian!

She looks like she's been in service a while and showing her ramp rash and dirty laundry!:laugh:

As soon as I get this DAL 737 flight from KLAX to KDTW on the ground I'll check her out!

But 1st I have to do some cloud dancing just south of Grand Junction, CO as you can see in this pic: 

bUJzaR.jpg

I'll take your paint on a short hop from KDTW to KTPA and let you know how she looks (Already liking all the details, esp around the APU!)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

12 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Tire the furthest aft has what looks like strokes of paint on the wheel....don't know what it is,

That's from when you scraped her up against a curb trying to fit her into a sub-compact parking space.  Been there. :blink:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steering well-clear of that huge Anvil head, returning back to my original course.

9QEQDs.jpg

AS for P3d V4, PMDG with weather radar....how much has this enhanced our simming experience?  I admit that long ago when this tech was not available, I'd plunder on through that cloud with nary a thought of what real-life repercussions I'd encounter.  :blink:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Brian - nice touch in weathering the crew doors - the scuffing near the sill plate, and only near the sill plate, shows a good attention to detail  Freighters rarely if every get "kissed" by a jetway, though I have seen airstairs that have jetway ends on them.

Nice job.

-S.

Just now, psbrandenburg said:

Brian - nice touch in weathering the crew doors - the scuffing near the sill plate, and only near the sill plate, shows a good attention to detail  Freighters rarely if every get "kissed" by a jetway, though I have seen airstairs that have jetway ends on them.

Nice job.

-S.

Thanks

I have some horrid pictures of where you can tell our rampers ram the fuselage with the rubber bumper of the air stairs constantly.  Not all the planes but some of them.

beta.gif   

My Liveries

So just got back yesterday and and starting in on the wing.  Left wing I'm working on to see how I like it in comparison to the default.  I've added some streaks to the inspection ports on the underside of the wing also.  Not that you see them really in a sim, but they always seem to be there on my walk arounds.  Here's a couple of screens of a first draft.  

36017413432_39777e0bc5_o.png

36144068606_2db1d1a963_o.png

beta.gif   

My Liveries

16 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

So just got back yesterday and and starting in on the wing.  Left wing I'm working on to see how I like it in comparison to the default.  I've added some streaks to the inspection ports on the underside of the wing also.  Not that you see them really in a sim, but they always seem to be there on my walk arounds.  Here's a couple of screens of a first draft.   

I think she's looking great Brian!....and since you're in a unique position to view these beasts up-close in the real world...few can argue with the fidelity of the dirt placement. :wink:

I hope we get a -8F soon....she looks so graceful on liftoff!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ok  the repaint has been submitted to the Avsim Library Gods.  I hope you enjoy it.  It was more of a repaint done to make a freighter template fixing discrepencies in the paint kit and adding my own weathering so any more repaints will be easier.  Time to go back and redo my Prime Air aircraft and the FedEx birds.  Heres the last couple pictures.

35441752443_0e0378c532_k.jpg

36247467275_0d9f7ea5c9_h.jpg

35441754483_eeb68c7993_h.jpg

beta.gif   

My Liveries

She looks beautiful ! Can't wait for her to show up in the library.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.