Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

No VNAV/PERF data or V speeds

Hi

AS16/PFPX/ Flightbram KSFO/T2G Seattle

Yesterday planned a flight from KSFO-KSEA in the 747-400 using PFPX.  Saved the .rte to the required folders (as per normal)  loaded up the flight, entered all my fuel, ZFW data, uploaded the route into the FMC.  But alter entering all the PERF and weights, cruise altitude,  assigning a flap setting I had no V speeds displayed.  I also had no VNAV display data alongside my waypoints on the LEGS page.

I've been at this for a long time, so was stumped as to why this was.  I tried another planned route the other way around - same thing happened. I have changed nothing else, although, logically, something must have changed.

I know it's (probably) going to be something really stupid which I've overlooked - but be damned if I know what it is.

Any stabs ?

i believe there are 2 settings in the FMC describing to display vref speeds. it is probably under simulation tag.

100% sure your IRS were aligned, and you confirmed the GWT LSK1 on the init ref page?

9 minutes ago, harvester21 said:

100% sure your IRS were aligned, and you confirmed the GWT LSK1 on the init ref page?

I have a preferred saved situation from which I start all my flights.  But to eliminate anything erroneous in my saved situation, i loaded up from the SHORT turnaround situation in which IRS switches already set to NAV.  I entered the airport ICAO and gate number as per normal.

GWT was displayed on the INIT REF page although I didn't verify or cross check it.

30 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

i believe there are 2 settings in the FMC describing to display vref speeds. it is probably under simulation tag.

Thx, I'll double check this.  But it seems to be a bigger issue as the VNAV data on my legs page is also missing.

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

Hi

AS16/PFPX/ Flightbram KSFO/T2G Seattle

Yesterday planned a flight from KSFO-KSEA in the 747-400 using PFPX.  Saved the .rte to the required folders (as per normal)  loaded up the flight, entered all my fuel, ZFW data, uploaded the route into the FMC.  But alter entering all the PERF and weights, cruise altitude,  assigning a flap setting I had no V speeds displayed.  I also had no VNAV display data alongside my waypoints on the LEGS page.

I've been at this for a long time, so was stumped as to why this was.  I tried another planned route the other way around - same thing happened. I have changed nothing else, although, logically, something must have changed.

I know it's (probably) going to be something really stupid which I've overlooked - but be damned if I know what it is.

Any stabs ?

Make sure you click GW in perfs

11 minutes ago, glider_uk said:

Make sure you click GW in perfs

I've never had to do this before. Is this new?  

I double click ZFW in PERF which auto-populates from the FS Actions data (as you know) but have never had to click the GW LSK to activate V speeds or VNAV data before.

I'll give it a go.

thank-you.

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

I double click ZFW in PERF which auto-populates from the FS Actions data (as you know) but have never had to click the GW LSK to activate V speeds or VNAV data before.

If it's in small font, you need to click it to confirm it and make it a big font.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

13 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

If it's in small font, you need to click it to confirm it and make it a big font.

Have never had to click the GW before to confirm it (which would have been noticeable fontwise - and prompted me to do just that).  But I'll check this tonight.

27 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Have never had to click the GW before to confirm it (which would have been noticeable fontwise - and prompted me to do just that).  But I'll check this tonight.

It depends on if the optional weight and balance system is selected. See Introduction pg 84.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Always look for the arrows (just like what is in front of the v-speeds before you confirm them) on your preflight. A Boeing is a Boeing, but never pencilwhip a pre-flight. Always carefully go through it to ensure it all looks proper. Another trip up a number of people run into is switching into a plane that uses LBS instead of KGS. Entering LBS makes the plane think it's over 2x heavier than it should be, which will lead to some odd indications.

One helpful thing for me is always keeping the following question in mind:
"How did I screw this up?"
It can eventually lead to the answer of "I didn't - it's something else behaving improperly," but first double-checking yourself is extremely important as a pilot.

Kyle Rodgers

42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Another trip up a number of people run into is switching into a plane that uses LBS instead of KGS. Entering LBS makes the plane think it's over 2x heavier than it should be, which will lead to some odd indications.

One helpful thing for me is always keeping the following question in mind:
"How did I screw this up?"
It can eventually lead to the answer of "I didn't - it's something else behaving improperly," but first double-checking yourself is extremely important as a pilot.

Yup, the KGS/LBS is easy enough to spot.  I'm a metric guy so LBS computations never look right to me.

So Page 84 got me sorted.  Kevin/Dan were right.  It was the GW figure which i needed to click to confirm.  Just checked it out and indeed it was that.

Just when you think you have the whole complex simmy thing sorted, an innocuous detail grounds you for the whole of Sunday. Maybe time for groundschool refresh :)

Thanks all for your help

erich

• Upvote 1

Glad you got it sorted. I had the same exact thing the first time the GW was automatically filled but not confirmed.

• Upvote 1