My monitor is 27" running at 2560x1440, 60Hz. (I may upgrade to a 27" 4k - at some point).  My current card is a 780Ti sc'd. 

I am going to upgrade my video card looking at either the EVGA GTX1080 SC2 Gaming (08G-P4-6583-KR) or the EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming (11G-P4-6693-KR). 

There's about a $200 difference between the two cards.    Considering the monitor's relative small size and resolution, is there any reason to buy the higher cost 1080Ti?    I'm looking at performance, bang for the buck, etc..  Thanks guys!

You will get lots of opinions on this. What I have seen on my GTX 1070FE is that at HD 1080p I get about 42% GPU load with 8x MSAA. With that, I get spikes every 5 or so minutes to 99%. This spike tends to increase if I select SGAA to the point of about once every 30 seconds at max SGAA. The card can handle 8x SGAA normally at about 60%  it is just these spikes. Not sure it this is a driver problem or a P3D problem.  Considering the known bugs in driver set 384.76 I suspect a new WHQL will show up from nVidia shortly. I will have to retest after that. 

For HD I'd say stick with GTX 1080. For SHD (4K) then I am sure one of the 4K guys will chime in.

The Golden Rule: Always buy as much video card as you can afford.  Having said that, if you don't plan on moving to 4K anytime soon then the 1080 may just be a perfect fit for you.

For a high end card like you're considering I'd suggest the FTW version from EVGA.  They have better power delivery throughout the board... a feature that will offer more consistent performance as well as stability and longevity.  Any of EVGA's FTW boards with their ACX 3.0 cooling are good, solid choices.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6583-KR

HTH,

Greg

19 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

What are the bugs in this driver release?

Lagging, stuttering, some programs won't load. Lots of news all over the net this weekend on this driver set. I may roll back one series until this is fixed. 

2 hours ago, KenG said:

For HD I'd say stick with GTX 1080. For SHD (4K) then I am sure one of the 4K guys will chime in.

I'm using a GTX980 at 4K with no frame rate issues.   

Matt Wilson

Just installed the 384.80. Still using 8x MSAA, about 36% load on HD. Still get a spike, but much less often.