Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

GPU VS. CPU Question

HI Folks,

My specs:intel(R) core i3_2100 CPU @3.10 GHZ

RAM 4.00 GB

64Bit

Nvida GE Force 9400 GT. Impressed yet?:happy:

My question, would it improve my performance to up grade my GPU with my poor little CPU or would it be like putting a heavy duty transmission on a Corolla?

Question two, from a cost benefit perspective would it be feasible to go to my MOM and POP fix it store and up grade both CPU @GPU   as opposed to buying a entire new computer from Sam Bo's or Wally World big box store? Retired and on a pension so trying to be $$ smart.

Thanks,Vic G.

Vic green

Hi,

I am a little confused at your question because you have posted it in the virtual reality section and your current PC spec is nowhere near the level needed for VR (especially flight sims in VR).

However, answering generally... you could upgrade your graphics card and you will see an improvement. However, your CPU and memory will then become a bottle neck. The CPU you listed is a sandybridge chipset... which is obsolete, so any upgrades will involve sourcing "used" cpu's.

To upgrade to a modern CPU will involve a motherboard change and probably memory too (and anyway, 4GB memory is very low for flight sims). High end Graphics cards and CPU's will probably draw a lot more power too, so you might have to consider a PSU upgrade too.

So where are we??? New GPU, new CPU, New Motherboard, New PSU, New Memory (you can guess where this is going).

I really think you need to step back and think what you want from your sim. If you want a really good PC level then you will need to cash in the grandkids inheritance... if you want a really good spec PC for VR then you need to throw in a lot of Bingo money too!

If money is tight and you are only runing a single monitor flight sim then you may want to explore other forum area's to get suggestions about how to get the best bang for your buck. However, that will require more detail about your setup, flight sim and budget.

Hope this helps?

6 hours ago, flibberflops said:

I am a little confused at your question because you have posted it in the virtual reality section and your current PC spec is nowhere near the level needed for VR (especially flight sims in VR).

I'm sorry, It was the hardware and games part that through me off. Thanks for the helpful advice. Kind of tough to decide. I only run FSX Steam with primarily PMDG jets, ORBYX, ASN and addon airports by several companies. My  dated system runs surprising well as long as I don't get too aggressive with the sliders, but the new products like TDFi requires a newer GPU. I would like to keep an upgrade below $1000 but I don't know what to buy that would fit my system. I have a local shop I go to but you just don't know if those guys are going to gouge you on the hardware and I don't know enough to order them myself. If I upgrade my GPU I would want a new CPU, and mother board too. 

Thanks and sorry again for the miss post.

Vic green

Its difficult for me to advise as I don't run FSX, and I am the other side of the pond (which makes it hard to advise the best way to source upgrades). I feel your best bet is to ask the same question in the FSX forum. There will undoubtedly be some old schoolers who can recommend the best upgrades to get the best out of the software combo you have.

Before you do it will be best to get as much infomation about your current PC as you can. (i.e. take the lid off and see if you can get any product make and model of the motherboard, psu etc. Then google the information to get the exact spec you have now.)

Information that would be good to know...

PSU... How many watts and how many spare cables there are (newer graphic cards need power direct from the CPU)

Motherboard... Make and model, how much space is around the GPU slot (new graphic cards are big). How many ram slots free

Case... What case, is it big enough for the graphic cards (i.e. not a small Dell desktop etc)

I think if you get armed with as much info as you can, go to the FSX forum and say, this is what I have, what do you recommend. Then I'm sure you will get loads of suggestions.

Thank you very much. Looking around on line I think my best option is a new computer rather then Frankensteining mine with my limited knowledge. There are some nice ones in the $1500-2000 range where I would be.  Trying to upgrade mine as you point out only pushes the price in that direction anyway.

Thanks,

Vic G. 

Vic green