Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Looks like DT needs to change it's policy on 3rd party developers

5 hours ago, Paraffin said:

We know the ATC is being worked on

But LR announced in 2011 that ATC in XP was being worked on and then... nothing happened. I don't think that XP11 users should hold their breath waiting for decent ATC anytime soon.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But LR announced in 2011 that ATC in XP was being worked on and then... nothing happened. I don't think that XP11 users should hold their breath waiting for decent ATC anytime soon.

Yup. Although I'm not exactly a massive XPlane user - I do always buy it when a new version comes out and get a few add-ons in order to give it a fair crack, but it just never manages to completely do the trick for me - so I don't follow every upcoming development for the thing as much as some people might. But even I know that LR were promising they'd get around to some decent ATC even before XP10 came out. Yet we're still waiting for them to come up with something which rivals even FS2002 for flight planning, basic ATC and weather generation, which frankly, is embasrrassing for a simulator which has the slogan 'Made Usable' because that's exactly what it is not if you want to make a realistic airliner flight, and that's always seemed like a real shame to me, because there are lots of things about XPlane which make ESP-based sims look far behind it.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yup. Although I'm not exactly a massive XPlane user - I do always buy it when a new version comes out and get a few add-ons in order to give it a fair crack, but it just never manages to completely do the trick for me - so I don't follow every upcoming development for the thing as much as some people might. But even I know that LR were promising they'd get around to some decent ATC even before XP10 came out. Yet we're still waiting for them to come up with something which rivals even FS2002 for flight planning, basic ATC and weather generation, which frankly, is embasrrassing for a simulator which has the slogan 'Made Usable' because that's exactly what it is not if you want to make a realistic airliner flight, and that's always seemed like a real shame to me, because there are lots of things about XPlane which make ESP-based sims look far behind it.

So, does that mean that if we suddenly see a fantastic new, built-in ATC in XP11 next month, that everyone will suddenly migrate to that sim because it's the ONLY thing holding anyone back? 

C'mon... we all fly these various sims for our own personal reasons, and most of us probably use more than one sim. I don't, but that's because I fly in FSEconomy where it's just easier to use one set of aircraft models in one platform, and not hassle with the differences in fuel consumption and performance specs.

We're all looking for different things. There is no point in focusing on the one missing feature in "flight sim X" because they all lack something! Have you tried flying P3Dv4 at night, even with that limited new dynamic lighting? What about helicopters? VRS? Retreating blade stall? Mast bump?

I fly XP11 because years ago, I realized it gave me the best frame rates with a reasonable presentation of the world outside the cockpit, and it had the planes and helicopters I wanted to fly. I need frame rates in the 30-40 fps range to be happy with a flight sim. Others fly P3D because that's where the heaviest concentration of study-level modern airliner models are. They're not flying it because the built-in ATC in P3D is spectacular. Those are all add-ons, or VATSIM which is available to everyone. And yet others are flying Aerofly FS2 because they have an ortho-based scenery model that allows incredibly high frame rates that are great for VR. 

My big question about FSW remains as always -- what is the goal here? What are they offering that we can't get anywhere else, or that will appeal to newcomers to flight sims when they have all these other 64-bit offerings now?

Maybe it's the missions? That seems to be DTG's big focus, both in their promotional material, and the fact that this is the only thing they've opened up for user creation in the Steam Workshop. If that's enough to keep this sim going, then more power to them. I believe in competition in the marketplace.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

32 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

So, does that mean that if we suddenly see a fantastic new, built-in ATC in XP11 next month, that everyone will suddenly migrate to that sim because it's the ONLY thing holding anyone back?

You appear to be arguing with yourself here. If you read through my post which you quoted, there is absolutely nothing in it about just one feature being the only thing holding anyone back from adopting XPlane, all it mentioned was several lacking or poorly implemented features which stop me personally from using it more than I otherwise would if it had them.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think that some people, when ATC will be improved, will find another excuse not to use it. Maybe it will be the weather depiction not being perfect. Then, if the weather will be improved, it will be the lack of seasons. Then, if seasons will be introduced, it will be the inaccurate ground handling. Then, it will be... And so on.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 hours ago, Paraffin said:

No. But it's certainly one of things holding people back.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Let's be honest Gents, ALL flightsims have their faults which some guys can live with and others can't. That's one feature of flight simulation that will never change. We are fortunate to have a choice at all, perhaps we should count our blessings?

• Upvote 2

It's funny but not a SINGLE dev has posted in here...Gee... I wonder why?

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Oops.... 

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

32 minutes ago, Milviz said:

Ummmmmm....this cannot be unseen, but I wouldn't count out FSW...yet!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

That's not what I meant by the oops... I meant that I was the first (and only) dev to post here... 

And thank you for making it, it's superb, but could you make the type a little larger please? That type size wasn't used until the Mk.IV version, and you've made the Mk.I version..... :biggrin:

My flaps ARE double slotted!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Milviz said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Why?

1 hour ago, Milviz said:

My flaps ARE double slotted!!!!

TMI !! :emu: