Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Amelia Earhart new theory

Apparently a photograph has turned up which possibly shows Fred Noonan and Amelia Earhart on a jetty in the Marshall Islands with what may be their Lockheed Electra visible in the background on a barge being towed by a Japanese freighter. Investigators may have found some aircraft parts too:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/07/history_channel_photo_shows_am_1.html

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Cock. Very interesting. I'll be sure to set up my DVR for this one.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

22 minutes ago, Chock said:

Apparently a photograph has turned up which possibly shows Fred Noonan and Amelia Earhart on a jetty in the Marshall Islands with what may be their Lockheed Electra visible in the background on a barge being towed by a Japanese freighter. Investigators may have found some aircraft parts too:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/07/history_channel_photo_shows_am_1.html

I saw this this morning. It seems very plausible. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

NAX669.png

I've been pretty resistant to the recent Earhart theories but this sounds much more authoritative.  Thanks for the heads-up - going to go set up my DVR now.

1 hour ago, garrett_frank said:

Any photos of the long, lost Malaysian airliner too while we're at it?

That was my first thought... but the short video (linked in Chock's post) makes it look like there's something to this.  Michael Beschloss tweeted the photo today - he's very responsible about lining up evidence.  So I'm paying attention in spite of myself.

You would think someone in Japan would be able to verify this theory by now. Unconditional surrender in 1945 and a very good US relationship since, and yet still tight lips, if anyone knows anything they are free to talk about it. Interesting photograph though

Matthew Kane

If she and Fred were spying (no proof) then both governments may have buried evidence and documents.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

History Channel, and other like it, have a penchant for promoting bogus stories.  "Hunting ######" was one of the most ridiculous series yet.  I wouldn't get too drawn in.

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

21 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

History Channel, and other like it, have a penchant for promoting bogus stories.  "Hunting ######" was one of the most ridiculous series yet.  I wouldn't get too drawn in.

Agreed. Load of crap. Could be Kupang or Bandung or anywhere near by during numerous stop offs.

When can we just let History be? - without an agenda of destruction/ mutilation/ modification until we rewrite it with what suits our seemingly insatiable appetite for sensationalism (and daytime TV).

We're losing ourselves as human, sentient, living beings. Stop now. Let History be History.

26 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

History Channel, and other like it, have a penchant for promoting bogus stories.

Totally agree.  But one fact for sure:  I was born in the same city as Amelia - Atchison, Kansas!  Stories about her life and achievements have always been of interest.  I would like to know how they found this photo buried in the National Archives and then put two and two together and saw Amelia who does not appear to be under any restraints.  Oh well!  Conspiracy theories work and it will get everyone minds off of some of the news stories about bad reporting.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

You would think someone in Japan would be able to verify this theory by now. Unconditional surrender in 1945 and a very good US relationship since, and yet still tight lips, if anyone knows anything they are free to talk about it. Interesting photograph though

Well there is that, however, secrets are secrets and if there was anything untoward or secret going on, then it remains a possibility that people are either not around to tell the tale, or not in a position to confirm it for a number of reasons.

When I say not in a position to do so, I don't just mean from a 'secret agent' standpoint; where Japan is concerned, the reluctance to elaborate on the past can also be from a social standpoint. Japanese culture is still very much one where ancestors are revered and worshipped, and whilst the Japanese no longer officially regard the Emperor as a deity, much store is still held in traditions and honourable memories. This is not the sole reason but is one nevertheless why Japan has on ocassion been slow to apportion blame to questionable military actions in and prior to WW2. Their military did do some appalling things in South East Asia and this is still a bone of contention with some nations which were on the receiving end of those actions. In Japan, we've seen this result in such things as revisionist school text books and the continuing existence of shrines to those who quite clearly were responsible for some very bad things.

Many of these actions during (and prior to) WW2 are regarded as Class A war crimes, and crucially where this is concerned, much of this was sanctioned by the then Emperor, who had to sign off on permitting such operations. This being the case, it becomes awkward both politically and socially to distance oneself from such matters in a culture where tradition and respect of elders and ancestors is a major big deal, especially among Japan's elite. To be fair to the Japanese elite, not everyone among them has perpetuated this, some have openly questioned it in fact, but they have often been a minority.

It's also no secret (or at least it was a very badly kept one) that the US was already indulging in fighting against Japan prior to their entry into what would become known as WW2, when they assisted Chiang Kai-shek in fighting against the Japanese, most famously by the creation of what is commonly known as the 'Flying Tigers', more properly called the First American Volunteer Group. It's worth noting here that the 1st AVG was sanctioned by Franklin Roosevelt in an unpublished Executive Order, and of course with Curtiss and a number of other aircraft manufacturers building and supplying the aircraft for the AVG and the US military allowing officers to leave their roles to go and fly and service those aeroplanes, this was more than a mere gesture.

So you've got both the US head of state and the Japanese head of state up to some dodgy dealings and a good many people from numerous nations also involved in such matters. And they weren't the only ones either; if we recall that the AVG first mustered on an RAF airbase, then you've also got the British head of state sanctioning the thing as well, not to mention the British Government allowing aircraft made by Curtiss and originally slated for the European war effort to be diverted to SE Asia instead of to the RAF who had originally placed the orders, and this whilst they were busy fighting the Germans and needed every warplane they could get their hands on. Thus it was no real surprise to many when matters eventually escalated into the US being drawn into WW2 following the attack on Pearl Harbor, since things had been boiling under for a long time, what with the Japanese-led co-prosperity sphere rubbing the US, Brits and French up the wrong way for years prior to WW2 kicking off, and all three of those nations either covertly or overtly opposing it. Which is one of the reasons why it has been suggested on more than one occasion that the British had intercepted details of the forthcoming attack on Pearl Harbor and kept that information to themselves, since Churchill undeniably wanted the US to come into WW2 as a combatant.

With all of this going on, the notion that secret missions and all kinds of clandestine deals being made, is no stretch of the imagination at all, and that being the case, we may actually never know the truth. Now of course none of this means that Noonan and Earhart were on some kind of secret mission, nor does it mean they managed to land on some Pacific atoll instead of simply running out of gas owing to questionable trust in the radio navigation capabilities of the time and coming down in the Pacific never to be seen again, as most people suppose. But if they did end up as Japanese captives and died as a result of such captivity, then it would indeed be another awkward bit of history the Japanese would prefer remained unknown, quite possibly the US Government might prefer it that way too, because as is also the case, we know that much of the reason they did not push for the same kind of prosecution of war crimes accusations as was the case with Germany, was because the US were keen to get the Japanese on board with opposing the spread of communism throughout the south east Asian continent, as indeed were the French too, given that they were trying to wrestle back their pre-war empire in those parts which had been taken by the Japanese in WW2 and then fallen into communist hands (once again aided covertly by the US prior to their overt actions in the Vietnam war). So who knows what kind of deals might have been struck in relation to that?

Of course another possibility exists, one which conspiracy theorists in particular will love to promote, not that this makes it completely unfeasible, and that is, since the US and Japan were covertly fighting one another as early as 1937 during the second Sino-Japanese war, it would have suited the more belicose types in the US Government quite well, if looking for a pretext for more overt action against Japan, to have one of their national heroines taken out by the Japanese, or even simply for people to believe this might be a possibility. Given that they would have been aware of such activities and the dangers they posed to a prominent American celebrity flying through a war zone, albeit a largely unspoken one at the time, they must have been aware of the possibility at least, and if so, could cetainly have put pressure on Earhart not to make the flight. If this was even a remote possibility, certainly anyone involved in such a notion would want it to remain a secret.

Whatever the truth, even if it is simply that Earhart and Noonan went off course and ditched in the Pacific and drowned, then it is still interesting to speculate on other possibilities, and if the photograph which prompted all this is proved to be a reliable source and not merely a bit of Photoshop, then one can only wonder.

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Lots to think about, It is possible that after the unconditional surrender in 1945 the US government preferred the truth buried if this theory is true, and at that time the US Government were in full control of all affairs. I don't see any reason for Japan to remain tight lipped after this much time with the exception that they agreed to bury it. 

Or, they simply ran out of fuel, ditched at sea, clung onto the sinking Electra for as long as they could, tread water in the hope someone would come, then disappeared beneath the waves. That will always be my theory unless something else conclusive comes along.

Matthew Kane

That's quite the history lesson, Chock. An unfortunate series of events in a very troubled time. I don't think either nation, US or Japan, is too keen on losing face in this case.

Now, can you tell us what they did with Elvis?  LOL! :biggrin:

Speaking of Elvis Sightings, if she did survive, she was moved to Rochester, New York under a new identity and retired with Louise Brooks :biggrin:

Matthew Kane