Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Amelia Earhart new theory

14 minutes ago, Jazzfan said:

That's quite the history lesson, Chock. An unfortunate series of events in a very troubled time. I don't think either nation, US or Japan, is too keen on losing face in this case.

Now, can you tell us what they did with Elvis?  LOL! :biggrin:

Elvis merely left the building.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

DOH! I fell in to that one didn't!  :blink:  :laugh:

Cheers, Jazz

Does this mean the TIGHAR crew will no longer be taking trips to exotic, Pacific islands?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You know, ditching in a swelling ocean is no easy thing. Water can be hard as rock if hit at the wrong angle or onto a wave. Plane could have broken apart and went straight down with them in it. What I think for what it's worth.

Vic green

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

You know, ditching in a swelling ocean is no easy thing. Water can be hard as rock if hit at the wrong angle or onto a wave. Plane could have broken apart and went straight down with them in it. What I think for what it's worth.

Very true, but if I was making the film, they would have slipped peacefully beneath the waves, holding out for hope until the very last minute. Only those two know the truth if they did in fact run out of fuel.

Matthew Kane

Yup, not forgetting that ditching would be even harder to successfully accomplish in poor visibility, and there is a distinct possibility that if they were trying to ditch the Electra, they may also have been doing so in darkness or failing light. If that was the case, there's a good chance they'd have simply cracked up on hitting the water.

Whilst undeniably gutsy, determined, and a genuine inspiration to women at the time, there can be little doubt that Earhart is more famous for simply 'being a flyer' rather than being an especially brilliant one, as evidenced by her initial fame having been gained as a passenger on board an aeroplane which crossed the Atlantic, being the first woman to do so. Without a doubt, the far less well known, but consumately skillful female pilot of that same era, and a friend of Earhart, was Jackie Cochran, who of course eventually went on to become the first woman pilot to break Mach 1 amongst a string of other records and accolades throughout her life as very brave and determined flyer of civilian and military aircraft.

In contrast to the great skill of Cochran, Earhart is known to have had quite a few prangs, most famously damaging her Lockheed Electra on the first attempt she made at circumnavigation, ground-looping it when setting off, causing damage severe enough to require its return to the factory for major repairs. Some claim the accident was caused by a burst tire, but no less a pilot than Paul Mantz, who witnessed the crash, was firmly convinced it had been a case of pilot error, and he was familiar with her flying abilities, having given her a number of lessons in the past and having flown on board that same Electra into the airfield where that crash subsequently occurred three days prior to the incident. Of course anyone can have a mishap in an aeroplane, and especially one with an additional non-standard fuel tank in the fuselage which would have been presumably fairly full, but it is nevertheless indicative of possibly less than brilliant piloting skills, and it would indeed have required both skill and luck in copious amounts to dead-stick an Electra onto the ocean in total darkness.

But needless to say, we will likely never know the full story and I may be doing Amelia a disservice. For all I know, she might have pulled off the best dead stick water landing ever. Who knows?

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

14 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

Very true, but if I was making the film, they would have slipped peacefully beneath the waves, holding out for hope until the very last minute. Only those two know the truth if they did in fact run out of fuel.

With a last kiss on cold lips with "In the arms of the angels" playing in the back ground.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I find this theory unlikely, the given photo shows two individuals with there backs to us.  Sure they may have a similarity to Earhart and Noonan, from the back, in a grainy photograph.  The biggest reason I see to say no is that they are just sitting there, they are not under guard in any way.

While its possible the Japanese wished to cover up that the captured Earhart, after December 7, 41 the US government would not.  She would be a hero of the war and would be great propaganda.  Certainly after the end of the war there would be no reason to continue hiding it and it would have been revealed by now, our government's records are still very much intact.

6 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

With a last kiss on cold lips with "In the arms of the angels" playing in the back ground.

Yes definitely, and we are going to cast Leonardo Dicrapio as Fred Noonan and Kate Winsit as Amelia, another Solid Gold Oscar miss for Leo right there

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

Yet another piece of "evidence" that coincidentally surfaces just in time to sell yet another TV show.

Greg

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

Yes definitely, and we are going to cast Leonardo Dicrapio as Fred Noonan and Kate Winsit as Amelia, another Solid Gold Oscar miss for Leo right there

Di-crap-io? Considering his political rants as well as hammy acting, the name applies.:cool:

• Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

Di-crap-io? Considering his political rants as well as hammy acting, the name applies.:cool:

Oh boy, that's going to hurt, don't you know how thin skinned actors are?

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

On 05/07/2017 at 6:01 PM, PATCO LCH said:

Thanks Cock. Very interesting. I'll be sure to set up my DVR for this one.

I think you mean Chock ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think you mean Chock ;-)

Or did he??? Always consider the source.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jazzfan said:

Or did he??? Always consider the source.

Why the insult Jazzfan?

Vic green