Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

GTX 1060 vs 1080

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded from a GTX 1060 to 1080 and I'm surprised that performance is just slightly better in v4.  I was wondering if anyone else in here made a similar switch with similar results. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE ABOUT TWEAKING or turning off settings.  Rather, I just am curious to know if making the upgrade was worth it, by people who have made a similar move.   I'm using the 382.33 drivers (.53 didn't seem to agree with my system so much), and you can see my specs in the signature.  I have sliders almost to the right, which I had with the 1060 as well, and performance wasn't that bad except at KATL and DFW.  I thought for sure I could eek out a few more FPS by upgrading.  Am I missing something here? 

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

You certainly have decent hardware, but at this level, I believe you'll get a more impressive FPS improvement by adding more CPU cycles per second.  Not sure from your signature if your i7 6700 is the "K" variety, or not.  If a stock 6700, you've got 3.4 GHz.  If the "K" variety, you can overclock to a higher frequency and see a healthy FPS improvement.  

I'm no expert here, but from all the reading I've done here, cycles per second produces the best FPS improvement.  However, as is normal in this hobby, YMMV.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Propably your CPU is not powerfoul enough, as dmiannay said, if your 6700 is not k version, there is your reason, same if you limits your frame rate.

I had GTX980 (performance similar to 1060) watercooled and overclocked to hell. At FHD most demanding scenarios - heavy clouds with SGSSAA I had about 20-22FPS only. I know that 980Ti is not enough so I was waiting for beeter performing card. I bough 1080 at release day as I know that it have perfromance what I need - 30FPS at most demanding scenario. I hit it with some reserve which I use for extra shadows. It was great improvement for me.

1080 gives you room for more shadows, higher resolution, higher anti aliasing and so. I can utilize my 1080 easily at FHD (4xSGSSAA) or 4k (just raw resolution). I can push my GPU performance harder, but need 1080Ti

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback fellas.  I deleted and regenerated the .cfg and that helped a little bit.  I can overclock the CPU, but only to about 4.4ghz.  I'm seeing around 12-20 FPS, at best, with sliders all the way to the right and dynamic reflections off.  If I'm in a default aircraft and shut off UTLive, then my frames can go up to 30 on the ground and 50-ish in the air.  MSAA is fine.  SSAA is impossible, brings the sim to a crawl under any circumstances.  I'm wondering if this is about what I can expect, or if I should do a vanilla install and see what happens. 

Curious,

John

Sounds like AI traffic is your problem. It's always been a FPS killer. What traffic %  do you have? Maybe try turning it down rather than switching it off completely and living with barren airports 

AI Traffic is heavy on CPU same as autogen draw distance and combination with autogen density, scenery complexity. Autogen draw distance over medium is higher than v3 and it is huge difference in area covered with autogen.

12 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I'm wondering if this is about what I can expect, or if I should do a vanilla install and see what happens. 

What screen resolution are you using (nobody ever seems to mention it)? At 1920x1080, the difference between cards is often minimal. It's only when you go to 2560x1440 or UHD that you really start to notice much of a difference.

When you installed the new card, did you uninstall the graphics drivers before removing the old card and then re-install once the new card was fitted?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As it turns out, when I installed v4 while v3 was still on my system, ORBX somehow installed VECTOR into v4.  Apparently that's what was causing a lot of my performance problems.  When I did a vanilla install today, everything seems fine.  I returned the 1080 as there really is no difference that I can see with the 1060 that I've been using.  Time to save for a better CPU when they come 'round.

Thanks again for all of your help guys,

John

I just got a GTX 1060 6gb to replace a dead GTX 650ti SC 2gb and I did not expect the results I am getting in P3D v4. 

With all the talk about i7's and 1080ti's floating around the forums I thought I would not be able to run the sim at high settings and get a smooth experience. But the gpu is working very well. I had my heart set on a 1070 but with the shortage of gpu's I settled for a 1060 and I am very pleased.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

20 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I returned the 1080 as there really is no difference that I can see with the 1060 that I've been using.

Just for reference, what screen resolution are you using?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit