Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Prepar3d V4 performance, Having Issues

Before I begin, I'm a longtime FSX user, I run it full graphics settings with DX10 fixer and have an amazing 40-50FPS under most setting @ hifi airports, PMDG aircraft, Rex TD weather. I run a 4790 @ 5.0 ghz, Two 1080 GTX's. Now on to Prepar3d V4. Yes I know its time to move up to 64 bit. People swear by Prepar3d V4 like its this absolutely beautiful program with flawless performance. Ok, on basic settings, I can not even get Vsync to work. No .cfg tweaks, no NVI profile...can not get FPS more than 7-23 FPS with HD lighting turned off, shadows turned off, 4MSAA, modest terrain settings, and this is bar-bones. I set Vsync to on and the screen is tearing all over the place. I spent $$$$ on this and its operating like junk. What is the secret to get this program working?!?!..I have note even tried PMDG QOTSII or 777. God only knows id be looking at 1-5 fps with those add ons.

It sounds as if something isn't working properly. I have a now-ancient i7-2600k with a 760, and I'm getting very good frame rates with similar settings. I keep Vsync on with triple-buffering, and I don't experience any screen tearing, so something must be amiss.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Sounds like somethings wrong with your install, I'm running 6700k@4.6 with two 1080's and i get 20+fps with PMDG 747, Orbx, FB KSFO and Active Sky on High settings @3440x1440 res. 

I would suggest opening it up, selecting a simple default GA aeroplane, simple fair weather settings at a modest default airfield, then save that as the default flight. Then, back off literally every slider to its minimal settings and turn every fancy option off. Quit out and then crank it up and take it in turns to crank each option up, one at a time, and try that default flight to see what the effect of each option has on performance. Fortunately this will not take too long to achieve since P3D cranks up fairly quickly. That should allow you to determine what is going on and if there is some setting in particular which your computer does not like. Once you know that, you can investigate why that might be so.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest JustanotherPilot

I'm running a 4790K@4ghz(stock) with the Asus GTX 1060(3G) 20gig ram, settings are high (were med on v3.4)  and with the PMDG 777 from ORBX airports/regions I'm getting 35-40fps, no OOM no CTD flights over 10 hours. As suggested, I think something is wrong with your installation. Can I suggest you completely remove v4, via the Conrol Panel and do a complete reinstall( a pain I know but could solve the issues). I found that when I did this with v3.4 I had increased performance and no OOM which plagued me every flight.

With your system you should be getting exceptional performance.

steve

Return to FSX until you get an i9.

Go on task manager and check how many background processes you have up running.

• Upvote 1

I just got my new GPU today and have been running P3D v4 at high settings and getting a very smooth simming experience. Here are my PC specs

CPU: i5 4590 @ 3.33GHz 

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6gb

RAM: 16gb

I am running at a resolution of 1080p and on the ground my frame rate will range from 28-52 fps. In the air I can get much higher than 60 fps....even hit 100+(external views). At night my frames will drop but the sim still runs smoothly. I am flying the PMDG 777 with Orbx Global and North America openLC. I am also running addons from FlyTampa, FSDreamTeam, Flightbeam and a few other v4 compatible add-ons. I have not tried to force anything into the sim. 

Overall, I am extremely happy with P3Dv4 and I am amazed at its visual fidelity and performance. It is my first version of P3D and I couldn't be happier. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Are you using the latest nvidia driver (384.76 or hotfix 384.80)?

I had a serious fps drop with the above drivers  (5-12fps, slideshow!). Yesterday I installed 382.53 again and fps is back to normal (very smooth locked at 30fps).

40 minutes ago, Patjez said:

Are you using the latest nvidia driver (384.76 or hotfix 384.80)?

I had a serious fps drop with the above drivers  (5-12fps, slideshow!). Yesterday I installed 382.53 again and fps is back to normal (very smooth locked at 30fps).

I went back to the 382.33 as i also had FPS/stutter issues with the latest drivers

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hello,  

Try these steps one by one.........

1)  Are you sure your system is using your dedicated GTX graphic card as apposed to an Integrated graphics card ? 

2)  Do you have any external sound cards plugged in,  If so plug them out,  Launch Prepar3D and test 

3)  Plug out all USB devices, including extra monitors (except keyboard and mouse)  Launch and test  

4) Delete these 2 generated file\folder, the Prepar3D.cfg and the Shaders folder, Then Launch and test 

5)  Remove your generated files, Navigate to your core Prepar3D v4 folder,  Scroll down a bit,  Double left Click on the file  Delete Generated Files Launch Prepar3D and test (This will temporarily disconnect your Add On's,  But it will bring these files back to default again)  

6)  Update or reinstall your graphics driver insuring you Tick the box for "Perform a clean Installation" during the process Or use a Graphics driver cleaning utility something like Driver Display Uninstaller  

• Upvote 1

VSync in P3D Display Settings is used to obtain the monitor refresh timing to steer fps, it does not control vsync to the monitor. Since you see tearing, this is a graphics driver issue or system malfunction as it is under control of the desktop system settings and hard to adjust.

Check the difference between single display and display with undocked view. An undocked view could cause a halving of fps, another driver issue

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...Before trying all sorts of drivers use the NVidia Control Panel and Default all profiles and Apply - usually this is the culprit.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

4 hours ago, stevefocus said:

Sounds like somethings wrong with your install, I'm running 6700k@4.6 with two 1080's and i get 20+fps with PMDG 747, Orbx, FB KSFO and Active Sky on High settings @3440x1440 res. 

Oo

I have also a 6700K@4.3 and a 1080ti. And I limit the FPS to 40. In the PMDG 777 and 747 I get around 30-35 FPS, outside view I always get the 40 FPS. Even with overcast and rain, ORBX, FSDT KLAX or FB KSFO, ASP4, Envtex etc?

No idea what OP is doing to see such bad performance?

Anybody tried disabling pop free autogen? With it enabled even autogen radius of high begins to give me fps penalty and significant hit with very high and max, disabling pop free autogen doesn't seem to hit performance much more even at ultra than it does at medium with pop free enabled.

Autogen popup is a known problem im V4. While the framerates stay high, autogen lags behind.