Sign in to follow this  
harun

747/777 p3d v4 Dynamic Light FPS Dropp

With this new Version for 747/777 the Dynamic Light kills my GTX 1080 in 4k Resolution. 

With the latest Version before this one( 3.00.8377) the FPS drops only at Flightbeam´s KSFO HD to the half (from 40/35 to 20/15). Now the FPS drops at any Airport (like FT EHAM, FB´s IAD or DEN etc.) when Dynamic Light is on, of course the fps drops not so massivly like at KSFO, but it is slightly more than before. 

I notes by monitoring GPU-Z, that the base usage of GPU load is about 65/70 %. With every additional Light i switched on, the GPU load rise about 10% per Light, see below.

Landing Light´s =10%
Taxi= 5-10%
RWY Turn= 10%
Strobs, Becon, Logo etc. together =10%

This let my GPU load goes to 100%, an the FPS drops. The GPU is so the Bottleneck and the FPS is scaling down. So i need to disable the Dynamic Light, but this caused no visible Lights on Ground. 

i7 6700k @ 4,4GHz

GTX 1080 Golden Sample (slightly overclocked by Manufaktur)

NV Driver is 382.53

16GB RAM 

4k Resolution, with no activated AA during the test. 

747 Version 3.00.8377

777 Version 1.10.8378

Mir has a good in-depth explanation of the GPU workload issues associated with P3Dv4 dynamic lighting and complex arrays of ground polygons in his support forum at flightbeam.net

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Work with your AA settings, 2xSSAA or 4xMSAA should work ok with Dyn. Light.

as you can see in my starting post AA is switch to off, to get max. Performance. 

2 minutes ago, harun said:

as you can see in my starting post AA is switch to off, to get max. Performance. 

Sorry, my bad...

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Mir has a good in-depth explanation of the GPU workload issues associated with P3Dv4 dynamic lighting and complex arrays of ground polygons in his support forum at flightbeam.net

Regards

Yes, i know this Statement, but it´s not helpful to increase FPS, it´s only a declaration why the FPS dropp´s. 

I Think for me, the Version before this works better. 

Yet another reason I am holding off going from 3.4 to 4. Hopefully LM can fix this problem. 

Eric 

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

Yet another reason I am holding off going from 3.4 to 4. Hopefully LM can fix this problem. 

I'm not sure I understand that.... you'd rather stick with significant memory constraints than adjust your frame rate to accommodate dynamic lighting? There are remedies, and it is a clear indication that things are better because we are back to bemoaning performance because our systems are not powerful enough instead of OOM errors because of a 32b application.  I think in this case the move to v4 is an easy decision.  There isn't a problem for LM to fix.  There are now new challenges for our systems and scenery developers.  I guess you could wait a couple of years for that to start catching up.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

29 minutes ago, downscc said:

I'm not sure I understand that.... you'd rather stick with significant memory constraints than adjust your frame rate to accommodate dynamic lighting? There are remedies, and it is a clear indication that things are better because we are back to bemoaning performance because our systems are not powerful enough instead of OOM errors because of a 32b application.  I think in this case the move to v4 is an easy decision.  There isn't a problem for LM to fix.  There are now new challenges for our systems and scenery developers.  I guess you could wait a couple of years for that to start catching up.

I'm sorry, but a bottlenecking GTX 1080 because you turn lights on is not progress nor evolution. I agree with you if someone sets his sliders of his SIM (as a whole) at a position that limits his system. But this is ONE tiny aspect of the SIM dictating your whole setup. Good frame rates all around, except when your light illuminates the ground at night? 50 fps all day and light long, and 15-20 because you switch on some lights? Sure we can adjust the sliders. It seems for me at least to be;

- No more 4K (even though I get 35 fps easily.

- Drop all sliders down to midpoint (and risk problems with aftermarket scenery.

- Reduce FXAA and AA.

All this just so I can switch on lights at night. The load difference is way too large compared to the demanded load 98% of other times.

• Upvote 3

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

I also experienced better performance with the previous version of the 747, there's a big drop in fps when lights on in latest version.

Jose De Campos

London

1 hour ago, downscc said:

I have been going months without an OOM. No problemo to wait a little longer. From reading what Amir said from Flightbeam, I definitely think there is something for LM to fix with the DL in v4.

Eric 

If anything, I would hope a reasonable compromise can be found and implemented by LM where you can disable DL yet still have your lights illuminating the ground.  

Given what I know about how DL works in P3Dv4, I found that, predictably, turning on ONLY the inboard landing lights on the 747 (no outboards, no rwy turnoff lights, and no taxi lights) gave me a significant performance boost over lighting up the whole Christmas Tree (two lighting sources to resolve over those thousands of ground polys instead of 7).  And, for those that think SLI makes no difference--well, with both of my 980Ti GPUs enabled in SLI my frame rate as much as doubles over that with a single 980Ti (e.g. FSDT KLAX + ORBX SCA I go from 10 to 20 fps) when getting clobbered by dynamic lighting.

Bottom line...it's manageable, but yes, I hope that we'll come up with something a little less heavy on the performance.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, dgeddesjr said:

If anything, I would hope a reasonable compromise can be found and implemented by LM where you can disable DL yet still have your lights illuminating the ground.  

You have a P3D option to disable dynamic lights.  You don't have an option with the PMDG P3Dv4 products, if you disable lighting in P3D you don't have lights with 747/777 but you'll have lights with products that don't use dynamic lighting.  Don't blame LM, first try to understand what you're talking about.

Don't blame anybody, I don't have a super high performance system and I see a 6 fps drop with dynamic lights. That's not too bad. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

You have a P3D option to disable dynamic lights.  You don't have an option with the PMDG P3Dv4 products, if you disable lighting in P3D you don't have lights with 747/777 but you'll have lights with products that don't use dynamic lighting.  Don't blame LM, first try to understand what you're talking about.

Don't blame anybody, I don't have a super high performance system and I see a 6 fps drop with dynamic lights. That's not too bad. 

DL is a Prepar3D feature, it's something that PMDG chose to use.  Correct me if I'm wrong and point out the post where PMDG stated otherwise, but they chose to use the DL feature in Prepar3D and haven't stated that there is any other workaround.  So it's either LM did not provide an alternative in this situation (either use DL or your lights don't illuminate the ground) or PMDG chose to not allow their aircraft to fallback to any other lighting method.  If a fix is going to come it has to come from one or the other.  I'm not trying to blame anyone, but one of them has to change.  It sure does seem that the fix should come from PMDG but I haven't seen any indication that they are going to do that.