Sign in to follow this  
harun

747/777 p3d v4 Dynamic Light FPS Dropp

16 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

Excuse me? Firstly drop the attitude problem you seem to have, it's coming across quite grinding - you're so devoted... sigh.

I think you'll find the performance drop has been noted by numerous users and is really because of the additional GPU load caused by dynamic lights - this is a fact.

The work required to code legacy lights isn't time consuming as it's already been done? Or did/do the 747/777/737 not work in p3d v3?
In fact (EULA ASIDE) I have spent the last hour and got the older model files working in v4 with the original lighting effects? By using the 64bit modules along with the v3 model/ effects... So it is possible and actually really simple once you note whats what.
I won't be writing step by step as no doubt I'll be accused of some EULA breach by a fan, however I'm sure anyone reading between the lines will know exactly what they can do (Remember it's not supported and will probably break anytime you run Operations Centre so KEEP BACKUPS if you want to play around with files).

So it's a quick proof that it is actually very simple to do and all it would need is an installation option or PMDG operations centre option.

Have a nice weekend.

Jonathon Ryans

Hi...i have big issues with pmdg 777 and 747 with dynamic lights...at moment, because pmdg way don't report any legacy lights in future...

Well...i try some test...and...777 works with v3 model, simple...copy 2 mdl file and...all works great and you have a normal lights, without gpu overload etc. etc. But...with 747 don't possible this, because if change model, effects with v3 version...lights don't works...i don't now because this...but don't work.

Gianluca Balloni

1 hour ago, gianluk81 said:

Hi...i have big issues with pmdg 777 and 747 with dynamic lights...at moment, because pmdg way don't report any legacy lights in future...

Well...i try some test...and...777 works with v3 model, simple...copy 2 mdl file and...all works great and you have a normal lights, without gpu overload etc. etc. But...with 747 don't possible this, because if change model, effects with v3 version...lights don't works...i don't now because this...but don't work.

If you're suggesting that people manually copy old model files for an old sim version to a new sim, you're nuts. That's asking for these forums to be lit up with people complaining about crashes.

The updates are for a reason, don't try and circumvent them.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

Excuse me? Firstly drop the attitude problem you seem to have, it's coming across quite grinding - you're so devoted... sigh.

Likewise, you give it out you get it back.

I think you'll find the performance drop has been noted by numerous users and is really because of the additional GPU load caused by dynamic lights - this is a fact.

Numerous does not mean every user. In fact, the number of people on these forums reporting the issue is relatively small compared with the total number of people actively using the forums. Further, as I already pointed out but you completely ignored, I don't have any performance issues and many others have also said they have no issues. Again, it's your specific setup that's the issue. So no, it's not FACT. Are you trying to tell me that a GTX775M 2GB card in a 3 year old iMac running at 1440p is so much better than a 1080Ti that I don't get frame drops?

The work required to code legacy lights isn't time consuming as it's already been done? Or did/do the 747/777/737 not work in p3d v3?
In fact (EULA ASIDE) I have spent the last hour and got the older model files working in v4 with the original lighting effects? By using the 64bit modules along with the v3 model/ effects... So it is possible and actually really simple once you note whats what.
I won't be writing step by step as no doubt I'll be accused of some EULA breach by a fan, however I'm sure anyone reading between the lines will know exactly what they can do (Remember it's not supported and will probably break anytime you run Operations Centre so KEEP BACKUPS if you want to play around with files).

So it's a quick proof that it is actually very simple to do and all it would need is an installation option or PMDG operations centre option.

So you'll be crying here when you're getting crashes in no time then. But that will be PMDG's fault too right? How do you know for certain that the only model changes were the lights, you don't. But of course, as you've displayed throughout this entire thread, you know so much more than PMDG. I'm surprised you don't have your own company! When's your 777 and 747 coming out for P3D? Oh wait.

You can't walk into a developers forum and start accusing them blindly that it's their fault and their doing something wrong, without having any evidence (or a clue at all) about what's actually the problem.

• Upvote 3

Just remember though that if one already sees the issue about performance drop, most are not going to double post. They will just follow along with the thread. So none of us can judge what percentage of people actually experience the problem.

While it has been pointed out numerous times that certain people do not have the problem I am seeing a trend in that those who do not have high resolutions (due to smaller monitors for example) or have lower complexity settings (due to lower end graphics cards) do not seem to have as much issue with this. But for many others who made an investment in higher end PC's coupled with large displays it is creating issues.

Again, not because we are going overboard on the settings - the SIM runs fine all other times - but because we run at higher resolutions. Now I myself was happy with 35 FPS on my 4K 55" screen. So I am by no means taxing my rig. I have now tried setting FXAA OFF, AA OFF and sliders mid. Lights still drop me to ~ 10 FPS. Sure, I can drop to 1080. But that is not the idea. My whole display will look like a jigsaw puzzle then.

And that is the point of this. It's not about demanding too much of the SIM. But about a discussion, mainly to raise awareness of the severity in load demand of this for many users.

• Upvote 1

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

This is an easy fix. Buy a new card.  I am ordering a Titan in a few days. Now I will say I had several issues with fps and dynamic lighting's so I deleted everytbijg. Reinstalled the new sim and now I don't go below 26 FPS in ant scenario with the same scenery installed. So it's possible that we screwed something up by adding something that kills the fps. 

My suspect was AI ship traffic as it's the only thing I didn't install with my new build. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

3 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Likewise, you give it out you get it back.

Numerous does not mean every user. In fact, the number of people on these forums reporting the issue is relatively small compared with the total number of people actively using the forums. Further, as I already pointed out but you completely ignored, I don't have any performance issues and many others have also said they have no issues. Again, it's your specific setup that's the issue. So no, it's not FACT. Are you trying to tell me that a GTX775M 2GB card in a 3 year old iMac running at 1440p is so much better than a 1080Ti that I don't get frame drops?

So you'll be crying here when you're getting crashes in no time then. But that will be PMDG's fault too right? How do you know for certain that the only model changes were the lights, you don't. But of course, as you've displayed throughout this entire thread, you know so much more than PMDG. I'm surprised you don't have your own company! When's your 777 and 747 coming out for P3D? Oh wait.

You can't walk into a developers forum and start accusing them blindly that it's their fault and their doing something wrong, without having any evidence (or a clue at all) about what's actually the problem.

You really are something else, move along now... You're jumping to conclusions and showing yourself up with inability to discuss anything.

2 hours ago, xkoote said:

Just remember though that if one already sees the issue about performance drop, most are not going to double post. They will just follow along with the thread. So none of us can judge what percentage of people actually experience the problem.

While it has been pointed out numerous times that certain people do not have the problem I am seeing a trend in that those who do not have high resolutions (due to smaller monitors for example) or have lower complexity settings (due to lower end graphics cards) do not seem to have as much issue with this. But for many others who made an investment in higher end PC's coupled with large displays it is creating issues.

Again, not because we are going overboard on the settings - the SIM runs fine all other times - but because we run at higher resolutions. Now I myself was happy with 35 FPS on my 4K 55" screen. So I am by no means taxing my rig. I have now tried setting FXAA OFF, AA OFF and sliders mid. Lights still drop me to ~ 10 FPS. Sure, I can drop to 1080. But that is not the idea. My whole display will look like a jigsaw puzzle then.

And that is the point of this. It's not about demanding too much of the SIM. But about a discussion, mainly to raise awareness of the severity in load demand of this for many users.

Agreed - there is an issue here with GPU usage % when using dynamic lights within the sim, I'm only trying to continue awareness and discussion of this.

Jonathon Ryans

24 minutes ago, rdtv91 said:

I'm only trying to continue awareness and discussion of this.

Well, maybe you/we shouldn't... No good can come of this continuous discussion. 

Dynamic Lighting isn't suffering from any bug, issue or problem. It just needs to be optimized further. And I'm quite sure, that LM will deliver on that... until that happens, turn off Dynamic Lighting or turn off settings in order to maintain performance accordingly. 

And please, please stop with the personal attacks and insults. Otherwise more posts will be removed and/or reported!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Why is it so necessary for a vocal few on this forum to constantly jump down the throats of anyone who dares to suggest that PMDG could possible do something better. Last time I checked this was a support forum so why do a select few get so upset when people come here looking for support? I'm sure I will be burnt at the stake for suggesting this but it's truly exhausting to read these forums because of the constant vitriol comments.  

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

You really are something else, move along now... You're jumping to conclusions and showing yourself up with inability to discuss anything.

I'm glad you completely fail to see the irony behind this statement.

3 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

Agreed - there is an issue here with GPU usage % when using dynamic lights within the sim, I'm only trying to continue awareness and discussion of this.

Only for people pushing ridiculous settings and resolutions. Try lowering your resolution.

1 hour ago, gstreet said:

Why is it so necessary for a vocal few on this forum to constantly jump down the throats of anyone who dares to suggest that PMDG could possible do something better. Last time I checked this was a support forum so why do a select few get so upset when people come here looking for support? I'm sure I will be burnt at the stake for suggesting this but it's truly exhausting to read these forums because of the constant vitriol comments.  

Of course PMDG could do things better, everyone could do things better, but it's extremely rude when people come into the forums and start pointing fingers at PMDG saying it's all their fault and they better fix it ASAP or else, when in reality the problem is caused by their own setup or something else out with PMDG's control (and then when it's pointed out that they should review their setup, they go on the defensive). For some reason, common sense has flown out the window here recently. I think the advent of 64 bit sims has resulted in people thinking that they don't have to worry about settings and a 1080Ti should be able to run every setting maxed out at 4K, when in reality all that's changed is the address space is now 64bit. Sure there's been optimisations in v4, but not groundbreaking optimisations that some people seem to believe.

• Upvote 1

that's all true, but in previous versions of the sim in a PMDG aircraft there was a non dynamic lighting option available.  if you want to avoid the problems that present itself by turning off the feature, you have no lighting.  I myself am not having issues with my nvidia 980 and 1080p single monitor, but if folks are having trouble with 2k and 4k displays,  they can't just either downgrade to 1080p, since running at a non native resolution looks terrible, and they can't disable dynamic lighting, because then they have no lights.  The problems with dynamic lighting aren't of PMDG's making, but the product enforcing the use of the setting doesn't help.

Shawn Gray

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

that's all true, but in previous versions of the sim in a PMDG aircraft there was a non dynamic lighting option available.  if you want to avoid the problems that present itself by turning off the feature, you have no lighting.  I myself am not having issues with my nvidia 980 and 1080p single monitor, but if folks are having trouble with 2k and 4k displays,  they can't just either downgrade to 1080p, since running at a non native resolution looks terrible, and they can't disable dynamic lighting, because then they have no lights.  The problems with dynamic lighting aren't of PMDG's making, but the product enforcing the use of the setting doesn't help.

Shawn Gray

This is exactly my point, it's been widespread reported and I am not 'pointing' fingers at PMDG, I am actually discussing the fact that this is something that was already done for previous P3D v3 et al and LM have still included light splashes with their a/c even so with dynamic lighting off then you still have landing lights.

Unfortunately the way PMDG have approached this has resulted in the loss of key functionality within their aircraft when you turn off dynamic lighting which was a 'nice to have' feature but not a be all and end all...

Jonathon Ryans

• Upvote 1

Excuse me sempai~
Care to tell me what other settings I should bring down? :-DDD

mWdIoRt.png

UaZEaeO.png

Settings:

WzvZIhN.jpg

ozucvEZ.jpg

fxZu2ra.jpg

vOBceio.jpg

Specs:

i7 2600k @ 4.3Ghz

8GB RAM

GTX 980

Maybe, just MAYBE there is an issue.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

The SSAA is guaranteed to kill performance.  At most I use 4xMSAA, which should work well on your 2K monitor.

Dan Downs KCRP