Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Interesting how XP11 works...

I'm right now at 5,500 ASL, and am heading just west off the coast of Lake Huron, in the state of Michigan...and...

was wondering why some lakes have a boat or two, that I know are from my OSM library.  Well...why some inland lakes showing 3D boats, while other lakes none...and I think what is happening, is that Ortho4XP assigns object placements, depending on what it is converting from the .jpg satellite picture...so as you can see in this screen shot, there are two 3D boats, on the lake aft of my left wing, but on surrounding lakes, no boats are placed upon the ortho as 3D objects.  I think it is because in real-life, there WERE two boats on that lake...while the other lakes did not have any caught in the sat shot.  Now, before you say..it has to do with the square miles of the water surface, I have already seen comparably sized lakes, side by side that some 3D objects are installed, but then on the other lake, nada. So who knows...but only that it adds even more depth to realism, that this already wonderful scenery imparts to my flight simulation experience. Left click twice on the picture to bring up to full size...and you will clearly see the two boats..one a sail, and the other a runabout.

Cessna_172_SP_1.png

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

I could be wrong, but I don't think Ortho4xp assigns any objects.  I believe the 3D boats you are seeing must be coming from the overlay source you use when generating the tiles although it looks like you have the overlays disabled in these shots.  They could also be from a w2xp scenery layer that is sitting on top.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I don't think the default overlays have boats and Ortho4XP almost certainly doesn't. In XP10, boats were added automatically to bodies of water, in XP11 I have no idea where this setting is. I turned it off as it looked really stupid to see hundreds of sailboats in areas they would never actually be. Since Ortho4XP actually adds water from OSM data onto your mesh, I suspect this is what you're seeing.

Also, Simheaven's W2XP scenery contains boats wrapped around piers, this can look very nice, but due to tagging schemes used in OSM, it can also add boats where they really shouldn't be.

4 hours ago, tonywob said:

I don't think the default overlays have boats and Ortho4XP almost certainly doesn't. In XP10, boats were added automatically to bodies of water, in XP11 I have no idea where this setting is. I turned it off as it looked really stupid to see hundreds of sailboats in areas they would never actually be. Since Ortho4XP actually adds water from OSM data onto your mesh, I suspect this is what you're seeing.

Also, Simheaven's W2XP scenery contains boats wrapped around piers, this can look very nice, but due to tagging schemes used in OSM, it can also add boats where they really shouldn't be.

How do you turn the sailboat feature off, Tony?

10 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

How do you turn the sailboat feature off, Tony?

By removing the scenery containing the sailboats (quite likely - as Tony pointed out - one of the w2xp sceneries ...  for me it is the Simheaver VFR-Landmarks! ). They are not a feature (lie a plug-in / algorithm), but simply scenery objects coming with a scenery.

8 hours ago, alpilotx said:

By removing the scenery containing the sailboats (quite likely - as Tony pointed out - one of the w2xp sceneries ...  for me it is the Simheaver VFR-Landmarks! ). They are not a feature (lie a plug-in / algorithm), but simply scenery objects coming with a scenery.

Thank you!  While I like them, and I do have that VFR installed...it is WAY overkill, as some of my shots show.  It's too bad you can't edit this. Would be great to have some run-abouts and more modern sailboats. Perhaps someone can create this, who has prior experience... :)

I'm going to remove that from my Custom Scenery File, and see if that kicks it out.

Post Edit: Ok..you don't have to lose all the other great things seen with the VFR series, Andras and Tony...you need to go to the library  files that the simheaven VFR entries sniffs:

OpenSceneryX (http://www.opensceneryx.com/) This one has boats...I left Power, Tour, and Cruise folders in...and the rest I removed to a safe storage on the Desktop. If this will crash XP11, then sadly, I'll have to live with the boats. I don't want to lose other VFR goodness...

Thanks, Andras!

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Thank you!  While I like them, and I do have that VFR installed...it is WAY overkill, as some of my shots show.  It's too bad you can't edit this. Would be great to have some run-abouts and more modern sailboats. Perhaps someone can create this, who has prior experience... :)

I'm going to remove that from my Custom Scenery File, and see if that kicks it out.

Post Edit: Ok..you don't have to lose all the other great things seen with the VFR series, Andras and Tony...you need to go to the library  files that the simheaven VFR entries sniffs:

OpenSceneryX (http://www.opensceneryx.com/) This one has boats...I left Power, Tour, and Cruise folders in...and the rest I removed to a safe storage on the Desktop. If this will crash XP11, then sadly, I'll have to live with the boats. I don't want to lose other VFR goodness...

Thanks, Andras!

Well...I tried to edit stuff...but couldn't just remove the sailboats from the oceans and lakes, and keep all the other great stuff in the VFR series. So...bottom line...will B.S. myself, that there are thousands of persons that have the income to enjoy water craft, en mass, LOL.  Actually, when I removed VFR-America totally, the lakes and oceans, seemed...rather sterile...with NO watercraft of any kind.  Put the entire folder back in...and have all the great scenery it gives, restored.  Das all, folks...

Just a head's up....

simHeaven has another updated VFR-WORLD download that amongst other tweaks, has scaled back how many sailboats sits upon larger lakes and bodies of water. 

Also, there is a new WORLD SCENERY file that should also be installed ASAP.