Sign in to follow this  
jfayre

programming FMC entirely by voice as a blind user

Hello,
I am totally blind and am experimenting with the blind pilot mode in MCE. I'm curious about programming the FMC. In theory, even if MCE didn't read back the data in the FMC, shouldn't it be possible to program it by memorizing what to say when?
If I got my flight data from something like Simbrief, could I program the FMC by voice command?
If so, is there one particular aircraft that works best with MCE as far as the FMC?
I've been looking through videos, but can't find one where the FMC is programmed entirely by voice.
Thanks!

1 hour ago, jfayre said:

Hello,
I am totally blind and am experimenting with the blind pilot mode in MCE. I'm curious about programming the FMC. In theory, even if MCE didn't read back the data in the FMC, shouldn't it be possible to program it by memorizing what to say when?
If I got my flight data from something like Simbrief, could I program the FMC by voice command?
If so, is there one particular aircraft that works best with MCE as far as the FMC?
I've been looking through videos, but can't find one where the FMC is programmed entirely by voice.
Thanks!

In the real world, the FMC-CDU is a hands on thing.

You'll hardly hear a captain say "Press PROG page on cdu 2".

Having said that, we have implemented a more useful approach.

There is exactly one speech command per CDU key. Refer to FMC-CDU commands document.

We aren't expecting you to speak those as direct commands. But rather for use with the powerful Voxscript feature.

The idea is that you could create a custom speech command such as "set me up for a flight from Atlanta to San Fransisco", then as part of what you expect the FO to perform, include these simulated commands.

cdu one press K

cdu one press A

cdu one press T

cdu one press L

cdu one press lsk one (this would insert the origin into the required field.

Then do the same for destination.

etc...

The hardest thing to do for someone who can't see the CDU screen, is inserting and removing waypoints from flight plan.

You'll have to wait until the MCE UI, Voxscript panel area becomes BVI pilot friendly so you can navigate your way. For now, need someone to guide you through.

The possibilities are endless.

Create custom commands and get the Fo and any crew member to perform what you expect. You actually tell them what to do by writing down the successive separate commands they are meant to understand..

Suggest the PMDG 737 NGX, 777 or 747, Aerosoft A31X/A32X, FsLabs A320. There are a few more aircraft where FO can handle CDU commands on request.

Thanks for the info!

Can someone write voxscript scripts without using the UI? Can they just be written into a text file?

7 hours ago, jfayre said:

Thanks for the info!

Can someone write voxscript scripts without using the UI? Can they just be written into a text file?

Affirmative. But some rules must be observed,

- All commands must be written in lower case.

- Never use digits. Write "seven" for "7"

- Each command line must not exceed 127 characters.

When you do that via the Voxscript panel, these rules are automatically enforced. And Voxscript panel gives you the opportunity to test the command to check it does exist. Not so when editing manually.

When creating a custom flow it is by default tied to a specific aircraft.

Suggest you create the new flow in the Voxscript panel, That will create a new file "whatever_trigger_sentence.vscr" in the relevant supported aircraft. Example, for PMDG 737 NG 800, the custom flows would go into.

\My Documents\Multi Crew Experience\Myvoicescripts\Copilot\Aircraft\PMDG 737-800NGX\ folder. (we already ship the ones needed for this particular aircraft)

Important to note that the particular trigger sentence, will only be available when you load that particular variant. Load a 737-600 for instance, and you have to import the flow (could just copy and paste) into the other variant's folder.

If you want a flow to apply to all aircraft, make sure you put the script in \My Documents\Multi Crew Experience\Myvoicescripts\Copilot\Aircraft\ALL\ folder.

Here is a video showing what you can do with Voxscript. Forget the word "Script" in it. It's really nothing more than a flow maker. A speech simulator, that allows you to put a bunch of existing commands for Fo to execute at your convenience, and above all using what "you" consider natural language.

[media]

You can do the same with Purser. Although in the Purser's case, should you want to script virtual conversations about anything you want, you'll need a quality TTS voice assigned to that crew member. The recorded human voice for the flight attendants have limited vocabulary. Here is an example of a TTS voice put to good use.

[media]

[/media]