Sign in to follow this  
ukplane1

How Much Would You Pay For Sloped Runways

Sloped Runways  

110 members have voted

1. 1. If An Medium Sized International Airport Cost £15 How Much More Money Would You Spend For It To Have An Sloped Runway Feature?

• £0-1
    • £1-3
    • £4-8
    • £9+
  2. 2. If An Large Sized International Airport Cost £20 How Much More Money Would You Spend For It To Have An Sloped Runway Feature?

• £0-1
    • £1-3
    • £4-8
    • £9+
  3. 3. Are you More Likely To Buy An Addon With An Sloped Runway Feature At An ( Pick as many choices as you desire )

• Short Field - Paved - General Aviation Style Airport
    • Soft Field - UnPaved - General Aviation Style AIrport
    • Small/Regional Airport ( e.g regional jets Dash 8 , B717 , Embraer Ejet )
    • Medium Airport ( e.g B738 , B757 , A320 )
    • Large Airport ( e.g A340 , B777 , MD11 , B747 )

8 minutes ago, ErichB said:

It's not just AI aircraft which are the problem.  If you are flying on VATSIM and your fellow aviators don't have the same sloped runway airport, their aircraft altitude data points will be different, so their aircraft will be either floating above or sinking into the runway.   This would have to be a holistic approach for an effective implementation.  Sloped runways would be cool and all 'wowwee' until the novelty wears off and you become frustrated with VATSIM aircraft all at different elevation points 

So my question is, what has Xplane done differently to ensure AI are able to use sloped runways?

I believe aircraft floating e.tc is more due to pilots using different weather programs and likely the wrong altimeter setting.

33 minutes ago, ukplane1 said:

I believe aircraft floating e.tc is more due to pilots using different weather programs and likely the wrong altimeter setting.

I don't think the data pings are taken from the user's altimeter reading.  It will be derived from your (and others) lateral and vertical position in the sim and therefore your (others) position indicated in the Shift+Z data field

Apparently I would pay sixty quid for it, since that is how much XPlane cost me, although for that sixty quid, I would have preferred that the aeroplanes on those sloped runways didn't bounce around like a demented Duracell Bunny lol

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I am not sure how much I would pay for this, and I am not sure if numbers in this discussions are really relevant - although I would love to see smooth sloped runways in P3D I need to admit. Of course there would be work involved for any developer including LM and this work would need to be paid at least.
IMHO the bigger part of work would be with LM to create a proper framework and SDK tools to enable runway sloping. Individual approaches by different 3rd party scenery developers would only make a mess out of it and lead to incompatibilities between installations and versions. AI traffic or network based flying would be the applications most suffering it seems to me. But as well any airport scenery created before the release of this feature would become incompatible.
Without a proper basic standardization and introduction of sloped runways by LM it would not become a beneficial feature for the customer base of P3D.

Cheers
Frank

• Upvote 1

How Much Would I Pay For Sloped Runways?

£40 for X-Plane 11 in the Steam sale :biggrin:

Joking aside, I would not pay on a per-airport basis. I would pay for a 'Sloped Runways Global' kind of thing, if the price was reasonable - say £25 max.

Just now, jenxy said:

. I would pay for a 'Sloped Runways Global' kind of thing,

Highly unlikely

49 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Highly unlikely

I agree. But one can always hope.

Meh.  Do you REALLY need them?  It would cause far more problems for just a 1 or 3 degree slope that you barely notice.  

Most simmers have enough issues landing on flat runways....lol.  

• Upvote 1

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

14 hours ago, ukplane1 said:

Most of the developers were of the opinion that atleast 75% of their customers used online networks such as IVAO,Pilot edge and VATSIM which would result in the likeliness of no a/i traffic being used. Sloped runways compatible with a/i traffic was deemed as obsolete considering most of their customers used online networks.

I very much doubt that most scenery Developers believe that 75% of their customers fly online, one look at the numbers online at Vatsim and Ivao even at the busiest times would prove that assertion wrong.

You only have to read the many posts citing lack of Ai in Xplane as a reason not to use that Sim to realise Ai is very important to the majority of FSX/P3D simmers.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Apparently I would pay sixty quid for it, since that is how much XPlane cost me, although for that sixty quid, I would have preferred that the aeroplanes on those sloped runways didn't bounce around like a demented Duracell Bunny lol

What Chock said.:laugh:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

If the airport could still handle AI... realistically, I'd throw in an extra buck built into the price.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

As has been posted previously, it IS possible to create an airport with sloped runways in P3d, just not with ADE.  Think about it. If the user aircraft wasn't sensitive to sloped terrain, how else would a helicopter land in in a field? And besides,  AI will never use such an airport nor will they follow the sloped runways. The sloped runways advantages in XP11 are only advantages because the AI in XP11 is next to non-existent. It will be interesting to see how World Traffic 3 handles airports with sloped runways.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit succinct in my last post, but for those of you who are adventurous (or just want to fly to a pre-made airport with a sloped runway, also in this link), see this detailed tutorial in the AVSim Library by Wally Bob:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=wally+bob&CatID=root&Go=Search

I have no idea whether this design approach (and there are others) will work in anything but FSX, since I only tried to duplicate the process with that sim and that was years ago. Any problems with following the tutorial would be better posted on www.fsdeveloper.com, the community there is a lot more knowledgeable about the intricacies of FSX than I will ever be.

Keep in mind, the AI will not either land or taxi correctly, at least they never did for me in FSX. Have at it, airport engineers!

Thank you all for participating in the poll , even though the poll results are public i'll still be passing the results on to these developers.

If you haven't voted in the poll yet please do

I don't know if you noticed, but there's a thread on the LM official forum regarding rain windshield effects and one of the LM developers mentioned that after 64 bits and windshield rain effects, sloped runways are next most requested feature to be added to P3d.