Sign in to follow this  
Chock

BAC 1-11 installer updated for P3D V4

Just a quick heads up for owners of the (very cool) Just Flight BAC 1-11 300/400/500. There is an updated P3D V4 installer now available on the JF site. Actually, it could already be 'forced' into P3D V4 in its older form and most stuff worked okay, but it's nice to know it is legitimately a V4 aeroplane now (well, four technically if you include all the variants), and a very good simulation of one too for those of you who've not checked it out. They have included an additional BEA livery with the new V4 installer too:

https://www.justflight.com/product/one-eleven-300-400-500

3RdnMLC.jpg

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Alan, am seriously giving the acquisition of this JF offering some thought. In your opinion, what's it like. Realistically modelled or  their usual 'Lite'?

It's pretty realistically modeled and certainly one of the better efforts from Aeroplane Heaven in that regard, with most of the switches you want to work, actually working. As you probably know, the BAC 1-11 was a contemporary of the DC-9, initially created to be a replacement for the Vickers Viscounts and Vanguards which most airlines were using for short range flights in Europe. But it was produced and on sale about a year or so before the DC-9, which is why it sold quite well in the US initially, since despite the rules in the US about buying domestic, there was no domestically-produced rival to it until Douglas had the DC-9 actually on sale, thus it had the market to itself for a while, which led to it gaining the unwelcome attentions of the US Civil Aeronautics Board on occasion, a fate which Concorde also had to endure. Nevertheless, what US sales it did garner means the repaint potential and the simulation of routes in the US are realistic possibilities (i.e. American Airlines operated it in quite large numbers, as did Braniff), and even though it has in real life lost its certification as a passeneger type owing to its noise even with a hush kit and its emissions too, since it was sold in large numbers in the US, it is still used by Northrop Grumman as a test platform (they have two of them), so you can still (just about) realistically fly it as a contemporary aeoplane.

But being of the era that it was, it is a fairly basic jet airliner by modern standards, intended for short routes mostly over land, wherein it employs VOR and ADF navigation, thus the autopilot is an accurate simulation of what the real thing had, in other words, relatively basic 'follow a heading and maintain an altitude' functionality in the cruise, although it will also do ILS approaches, as could the real thing. So as far as simulating the real aeroplane's operations goes, it enables you to do exactly that, including realistic start ups from 'cold and dark' if that is something you like doing; I know some people are a bit obsessed with that. That is not to say it is a study sim where you can be popping every circuit breaker and simulating failures of hydraulics etc, but for most people who want to simulate a 1960's and 1970s airliner flight realistically, and in fact up to around the early Eighties, it will do the job convincingly, which is remarkable considering it is only 25 quid, all the more so considering the number of variants you get.

One nice thing about it is that you do get different cockpits and avionics depending on what variant you select, although some of these are not exactly the fit that some airlines had at the time, although you'd probably have to be either a fact nerd or an ex-pilot of the real thing to be aware of that. Nevertheless, the avionics are a good average of what most airlines had in the thing. In all you get six variants, although the differences are some minor stuff like whether it has a hush kit or airstairs, so strictly speaking it is three variants, although if you want to be really nerdy, that would technically be four variants because the included livery of the Ryannair one was in reality a licensed-built Rombac version of the 1-11 built in Romania and not one constructed by BAC.

It appears to perform as per the real things numbers as far as I can tell, i.e. it lives up to the nicknames of 'pocket rocket' and 'bone vibrator' in that it is very easy to overspeed it (as was the case with the real thing) and it is noisy and smoky (again like the real thing was), which in fact is one of the plus points of its simulated version, since the simulation of the engine noises at start up and when you wind the throttle up are very good, and it leaves a trail of smoke which can be seen for miles lol.

For 25 quid you really can't go wrong if you like smokey old jets from the Sixties, and for me personally, I think it makes a nice change from the DC-9 or 737-100/200 for that kind of thing. Historically the 1-11 is also interesting for a number of firsts too and less welcome for BAC, also having been one of the first jet airliners to suffer the wrath of the US Civil Aeronautics Board, which actively blocked its purchase in the US, leading to accusations of protectionism, which is a shame for us simmers because there would have been some more intersting repaint possibilities had that not transpired, but never mind, because it did look great in bare metal when operated by American Airlines.

Ultimately, if you are expecting 'PMDG' levels of realism, then I can't honestly say it offers that, but if you just want to simulate regular airline flights with realism, you would not be disappointed, because it certainly will allow you to do that.

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for that superbly penned detailed User Report on it, Alan.

I baulked on buying it when it was first launched by JF because of my previous purchases from them, specially Aeroplane Heaven's work, which have been 'lite' and flaky at best.

I used to regularly fly on the Heathrow-Dublin Aer Lingus BACs in the 70s after earlier 60s Viscounts flights.

I'll look out for it next time JF send me a weekend Special Offer notification

No way was I expecting 'PMDG' levels. I am realistic enough on that score. I leave the PMDG stable I have(the full gamut other than the P3Dv4 OOtS II) to do what they are best at in their own environment. Other developers' aircraft are also worthy of sim-time, AFAIC.

There were a number of Central and South American airlines that used the 111, it would be great to see some of those paints to spice up the offering.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

50 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I'll look out for it next time JF send me a weekend Special Offer notification

If I recall correctly, I think I might have got it in one of their sales, or maybe I just used some loyalty points, but I seem to recall paying 20 quid for it.

If you can't wait, there is also this on sale :laugh:

http://www.jet-scout.com/detail.php?ad=113

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Alan, nice try, but if I had that kind of dosh, I very much doubt I'd be hangin around here-----I'd be far to busy flying the damn thing around!!!:biggrin:

You nearly suckered me there.:blush:

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Chock said:

If I recall correctly, I think I might have got it in one of their sales, or maybe I just used some loyalty points, but I seem to recall paying 20 quid for it.

If you can't wait, there is also this on sale :laugh:

http://www.jet-scout.com/detail.php?ad=113

And it even comes with a VCR!  :biggrin:

Thanks for the report on the JF 1-11, I enjoy their stuff but haven't picked this one up yet.  I particularly enjoy their F-27, REALLY hoping to see a v4 update for it but not sure it's going to happen.  Now to go play on the JF website.