Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Dynamic Lights - Not just FPS

Hi all, just wanting a santiy check here.

Specs 6700k @4.5 GTX980ti 16GB ddr4 ram, SSD.

Now we're all talking about how much dynamic lights destroys FPS which I can relate to, partiucularly in the 747. Not so bad in the 777 but what I have noticed is that for example, uk2000 egll, dynamic lighting on at night:

The fps decreases 10-30% but there is a notable 'lag' introduced, even at 35fps there is a hang time between moving my virtual head around using Chaseplane for example so I don't think it is a just an FPS problem but something deeper.

Thoughts ?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I believe there is an issue with scenery add-ons that aren't built with the P3Dv4 sdk having a dramatic effect on fps with dynamic lighting.

Hopefully as scenery developers start releasing add-ons built purely with the v4 sdk we will see an improvement in performance with dynamic lighting.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

It's not uncommon once you completely max out a GPU, that it'll start to feel delayed and juddery because there's absolutely no wiggle room for preparing frames or having them spit out in a fashionable timeframe. Dynamic Lights can eat up GPU cycles for breakfast. When I enable Dynamic Lights + 4xSSAA, sitting on the ground, it's not uncommon for my 1080 Ti to be completely maxed out and I get the same sort of delayed, sluggish feeling. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Gordon Hutchison said:

I believe there is an issue with scenery add-ons that aren't built with the P3Dv4 sdk having a dramatic effect on fps with dynamic lighting.

Hopefully as scenery developers start releasing add-ons built purely with the v4 sdk we will see an improvement in performance with dynamic lighting.

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

It's not uncommon once you completely max out a GPU, that it'll start to feel delayed and juddery because there's absolutely no wiggle room for preparing frames or having them spit out in a fashionable timeframe. Dynamic Lights can eat up GPU cycles for breakfast. When I enable Dynamic Lights + 4xSSAA, sitting on the ground, it's not uncommon for my 1080 Ti to be completely maxed out and I get the same sort of delayed, sluggish feeling. 

Thanks for your replies,

Gordon, I am starting to think this whole scenery thing is greatly exaggerated as this happens for default and in the air.

Michael, ok, I only have 4x msaa and still struggle massively.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK