Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Before I buy this rig, what do you think?

HP-OMEN intel core i7-16GB memory-NVIDA GeForce GTX 1070 8gb dedicated graphics.

1TB Hard Drive_Brushed Aluminum

Windows 10 64 bit

7th generation intel core i7 processor.

16 GB memory- 1TB HARD DRIVE.

Wireless networking blue tooth key  board and mouse.

Processor speed 3.6GHZ.

$1099.99 free shipping.:biggrin:

This is a major step up from what I have (intel i3,GE Force 9400 GPU) and for the bucks I believe beats a rebuild.

I run FSX-Steam, ORBYX Global, ASN, addon airports, ASN and primarily PMDG jets.

I think as I watch development I may pick up P3DV4 and want to accommodate that in a year or two.

So tech guys, what do you think? Before I throw down the bones would this enhance my sim enough to make the investment worth while?

Vic green

Hi. I'm not too computer "savvy" but I always used notebooks for FSX and P3D and tried to keep up to date with the latest and greatest. What I found was that the limiting factor was always the CPU (Processor frequency). So no matter how many times I upgraded, there was never an appreciable change in performance, even with the latest mobile graphics card (Since the simulator is very much CPU bound). Is there any reason you want to stay with notebooks? I recently upgraded to a gaming desktop for the first time (I7 7700K, SSD, MSI GTX1080Ti) and the performance gap is huge...And for what you pay these days for gaming laptops, you could end up with a very decent desktop. Laptops are very much hindered by their CPU. I think its related to cooling technology.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Thanks Peter,

This is a desk top gaming computer, not a lap top. It's at Best Buy. My main concern is the 3.6 GHZ  which isn't any more power then what I have.

Vic green

My meager advice would be to buy as much as you can sanely afford; if you're interested in playing in the top-end of the hobby at some point.

Really, it seems what 'you' have is never quite enough. And I believe, as more developers take full advantage of what X-Plane 11 and P3dv4 offer, that hardware demands will always be on an upward trajectory.

I recall when products were introduced which no current hardware could run fully maxed; Crysis, Neverwinter Nights and FSX, for examples. I have a sense that P3D is somewhat like these---can't really run max/max with smooth performance. Opposite of future proof?

Long story short, read first paragraph.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I saw the specs for the rig you are interested in. You might consider something a bit more powerful if your budget allows for it such as this one at the same store - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-2tb-hard-drive-120gb-ssd-black-blue/5712961.p?skuId=5712961

For $300 more, you can get a) the unlocked i7-7700K, 4.2 ghz (higher with decent overclock), b) liquid cooling and c) an SSD drive. The graphics setup uses the GTX1070. You would definitely be getting better performance especially on a CPU bound program such as FSX:SE.

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Thanks Peter,

This is a desk top gaming computer, not a lap top. It's at Best Buy. My main concern is the 3.6 GHZ  which isn't any more power then what I have.

Yes, I think you should go for a faster CPU as the other guys suggest. The sim is CPU bound so you need a faster chip.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

First off, if it doesn't have an SSD, don't bother.  For that price or a little more, you can build a very powerful PC.  Plus that way you can control the components (MoBo, RAM speeds, etc).  Building a PC is way easier these days than it was even a decade ago.  Stick with the i7 and a 1070 or higher, gaming MoBo, DDR4 RAM, and a SSD and you'll be good

4 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Thanks Peter,

Hi Vic,

Did you consider someone like Jetline Systems?  You might want to consider giving them a call.  For just a little bit more money you would most likely have a computer that will run your flight sim without any problems. 

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I built a pc following you tube tutorials . Its a good learning curve

ZORAN

5 hours ago, sabianj said:

I saw the specs for the rig you are interested in. You might consider something a bit more powerful if your budget allows for it such as this one at the same store - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-2tb-hard-drive-120gb-ssd-black-blue/5712961.p?skuId=5712961

For $300 more, you can get a) the unlocked i7-7700K, 4.2 ghz (higher with decent overclock), b) liquid cooling and c) an SSD drive. The graphics setup uses the GTX1070. You would definitely be getting better performance especially on a CPU bound program such as FSX:SE.

Thanks, I book marked this one. 4.2 GHZ sounds much better.

Vic green

What I have and its awesome! I can run P3Dv4 with very high settings using PMDG, ORBX and high quality airports.  http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop/dpcwxt04s

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.