Sign in to follow this  
Pablojc

MJ Dash 8 Q-400 problem after assigning a command

Good evening everyone,

I am using linda for MJ Dash 8 Q-400 with module 2.5 I only use Saitek Panels.

My problem is that after assigning a command to a button or switch, I get this error:
LUA Error: ... a-cfg / aircrafts / Majestic Dash 8 Q-400 / config-mcp.lua: 306: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'n' (a table value)

It does not seem to work, but after closing FSX and opening again, all assignments work fine. I already changed the original ".default" for ".lua" file.
The problem is that they do not work immediately and can not check in hot.

Thanks for your support.
Paul

(My apologies, I used google translate)

Pablo Chiabrera

The config-mcp.lua error suggests that you are trying to run the VRInsight panel when you say you only use the Saitek Panels. I suggest you go to Setup Combo page and disable the MCP panel. Then click on restart Lua engine. 

If this does not work I need to ask which version of LINDA you are using. If you still have the problem please follow the fault diagnosis thread procedure and send me the log files. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thanks Scot for your quick reply.

I already have disabled MCP combo setting in the "Setup MCP Combo".
I sent you the information requested.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

Hi Paul, thank you for your email with the logs. Can I offer you a belated welcome to the LINDA forum?

You are using a very old version of LINDA (1.1.3) which I am unable to support. Please download and install the latest LINDA 3.0.1 which is compatible with all FSX/P3D 32- and 64-bit versions. If this still gives you problems, please turn on Verbose GUI and LUA logging in LINDA Setup. Make sure you have the latest version of the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 module (2.5) aircraft module installed.

You did not say what version of FSUIPC4 you are using. This needs to be the latest registered version 4.469. You will also need to edit the FSUIPC4.ini file (in /FSX/modules), search for LogOptionProtect and change this setting to NO.

LINDA 3.0.1 does support the Saitek Panels and does not require Spad/SpadNxt to be running. To set this up, go to Setup LINDA and tick the Saitek Panels checkbox. Then go to Setup Joysticks and disable the Radio and Multi panels (if present). If you wish to use Spad/SpadNxt, then untick Saitek Panels on Setup LINDA and disable all Saitek panels in Setup Joystick.

Please note that the Saitek Panels only work fully for standard default FSX aircraft. Some advanced aircraft like the Q400 do not comply with the standard interface and therefore may not work correctly with your panels.

Should you still see the error message of others please send me the log files again by email.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and your answer.

I commented that I downloaded and installed (yesterday after writing to you) version 3.0.1 of Linda and I had many strange problems: the screen of the radio panel and multipnael when starting FSX and Linda, they start to blink. Also the numbers in the screen of the multipanel, marked numbers nothing with reality, also makes increases in altitude of 400ft in 400ft, but the Airplane MCP, increases of 100ft in 100ft, the illuminated buttons of HDG, NAV, IAS, ALT, VS, APR and REV and the landing gear lights were also crazy.

I already downloaded the MJ Dash 8 Q400 module ver. 2.5 (but in LINDA when selecting this Airplane, I read "Module ver 2.4 up right.") I also have FSUIPC 4.469 registered.
I am currently using PMDG airplanes (737NGX and 777) with Linda and Spad and I have been able to set and operate any button, switch or lever.

I will reinstall LINDA 3.0.1 and follow the steps you recommend to see if everything works without using SPAD.

Thank you very much for your support and I will give you the results.

Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

Hi Paul

With LINDA 3.0.1 I have added an indicator to the Saitek Panels which flash the Switch panel landing gear lights, the Multi panel AP buttons and display dashes on the Radio panel. This is to prompt the user to press a switch/button to ensure the panel switch state is read. This is explained in the Release Notes.

If your Saitek Panel displays are blinking then this is because you have 2 sets of software trying to write to it. As mentioned, the panel displays ONLY reflect the values available in FS default aircraft.

Advanced aircraft like the Q400 do not use the FSX standard and displays may not match between the panels and the simulator. The same applies to PMDG aircraft. I recommend that you use an FSX Default like B58 for setting and ensuring the correct software (LINDA or Spad) is controlling the panels. This is before loading your chosen aircraft. A method of synchronising the advanced aircraft with the panels is being developed but I can not give you a timescale.

Let me know how you get on.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thanks Scot,

I keep you informed of the results. I'm sure will annoy you, until get the panels ready and enjoy a more real flight.

Really grateful.

Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

I won't be annoyed. The important point is to get you up and running. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Scot, I hope you're well.

I have already installed and running the new version of LINDA 3.0.1, and everything works fine. I have some flaws:

1- Whenever I open FS and LINDA, is it normal for me to press a button to make the all panels work?

2- My Saitek Multi Panel does not display the same number in the MCP ALT panel of the plane. Also when I turning the rotary knob the lights of the Multi Panel buttons blink and stay off until I press any of them.

I have to keep using SPAD because otherwise I can not use the MP to assign ALT, HDG, IAS ... etc.
I'm waiting for your suggestion.

Regards,
Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

1 - yes. You need to operate a button/switch on each panel to ensure that the correct switch positions are auctioned by LINDA. 

2 - What version of MCP do you have? Additional code is required to synchronise the MCP and Multi Panel displays. Are you still using the Q400 or have you checked with a default aircraft first. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Excuse me Scot, do not explain it well.

The MCP said on the plane. I do not have MCP physical panel.
I'm doing tests with the PMDG 737NGX which is the plane I use very frequently.

I read in a post, that adding some codes in the file "action.lua", could make that well functions the synchronization of the numbers in the panel of Saitek and the one of the airplane. Do you know if it works?

This is the link:

Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. It is difficult to read minds at a distance. You do need to say whether you are referring to the simulation or the hardware and what aircraft you are using. The title of this thread that you started refers to the Q400 not the PMDG 737NGX. 

As I have tried to explain above, the Multi Panel ONLY works with the default aircraft and not advanced aircraft like the Q400 or 737NGX. The discussion by CrokyBird is a way to overcome this shortcoming but I have not investigated this any further as I do not have the time at present. It will be later this year before I can look at this problem.

Please feel free to experiment for yourself but please remember I can not support such attempts. It is not recommended that you make any changes to the actions.lua file as this file will be overwritten with new updates. You should use the aircraft's user.lua file for new or modified code.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thank you Scott for your response.

Sorry that I have deviated from the main topic, I started with the MJ Q400 and ended up complicating you with the PMDG 737 ..... sorry man I want everything to work perfectly well very fast !!! .... jejeje

When you say that you do not modify the file "action.lua and do it in the" user.lua, the truth is I do not know how to do it.  The curious thing with this modification in the file "action.lua", is that now the altitude shows in feet and meter .... jejejeje I am like crazy.

Now I will start with the MJ Q400 to see how everything is going and I will comment on the results.

Thanks Scot.
Paul

Pablo Chiabrera

Hi Paul, I am unable to teach you LUA programming but there are plenty of examples within LINDA and references on the internet. 

The code shown in the example in the actions.lua can simply be placed in the user.lua. The user.lua is loaded after the actions.lua. Any functions in user.lua 'override' or replace those in the actions.lua. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Ok Scot, thanks for your support and I keep you informed of what resulted from the experiment.

I will start the programming with the MJ Q400 and ask you for help if necessary.

Thanks again for your patience.

Paul

Pablo Chiabrera