Sign in to follow this  
blaird22

Donations-Paypal only?

Do you guys only accept Paypal?  I want to contribute, but I refuse to sign up for Paypal for personal reasons.  There is the graphic on your forum pages that indicates you accept credit cards.  Thanks!

Keep going through the payment steps at step 3 it asks paypal or Credit/Debit Card

• Upvote 2

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

41 minutes ago, stephenbgs said:

Keep going through the payment steps at step 3 it asks paypal or Credit/Debit Card

Thanks, that did it! Now I don't feel like such a freeloader :)

• Upvote 2

Hi all, like blaird22 I want to donate but don't want to use PayPal. However on trying to pay just now using a MasterCard I was automatically rerouted to PayPal as the only option. The drop-down menu now contains only 'PayPal'.

I'm quite happy to be twentieth-century about this and send a cheque, or even to hand over a fistful of dollars, but I've had it with PayPal and their creepy 'ten strikes and you're in' stunt.

Please let me know how I can donate without submitting to the wiles of yet another internet oligarch.

Lionel, at Step #3 you can choose to pay with a credit card. There is no need to create a PP account at all.

iexplore_2017-11-11_13-55-57.png

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Strange.  Yesterday when I tried Bill's suggestion I got to Step 3.  Now it is adamant that you go to paypal only and there is no Step 3.  I'll see if the tech or Chase (who runs the system) has an idea.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Finance Officer informed me that AVSIM does not accept credit cards as PayPal handles exchange rates cheaper than credit cards.  We are not exactly sure how that "Step 3" got in the donation gateway but it is no longer there.  I knew we did not accept credit cards but, when Bill posted the Step 3 form, I thought maybe there was a change.  Some of the credit cards take between 6% to 12% to process the transaction.  PayPal does it for 6% w/no credit card fees.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

We are not exactly sure how that "Step 3" got in the donation gateway but it is no longer there.  I knew we did not accept credit cards but, when Bill posted the Step 3 form, I thought maybe there was a change. 

Jim, nothing has changed. That option remains available, but only by choosing PayPal's option to use a Debit or Credit card, neither of which requires one to create a PayPal account.  Clicking on the lower button will lead the donator to the screen I previously posted.

ymCp8.png

Fr. Bill    

Will try to get it turned off again.  Thanks Bill.

Submit News to AVSIM

Okay.  Think I see what's happening.  That Step 3 is actually PayPal as you can use a debit or credit card through PayPal.  The payment is not directly to the credit card company.  I have all of my credit and debit cards set up in PayPal.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, this is a feature of PayPal and has nothing to do with AVSIM's portal at all. PayPal introduced a new feature several years ago in response to requests. They realized that many transactions are likely to be one time visits, and "customers" would be unlikely to want or need to set up a PayPall account.

For new buyers, signing up for a PayPal account is now optional. This means your customers can complete their payments first, and then decide whether to save their information in a PayPal account for future purchases. The checkout is more convenient, resulting in more completed sales and satisfied customers.

Best of all, this upgrade requires no action on your part. The checkout automatically applies to Website Payment tools like Buy Now Buttons, Donations, and PayPal Shopping Cart, as well as our Request Money and PayPal Invoicing features.

See: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-optional

Fr. Bill    

Okay.  Then, yes, members can use their credit card instead of using PayPal if they want.  That's good as we have several members who wanted to do just that!

Thanks Bill for your research.

Submit News to AVSIM