Sign in to follow this  
jonesrob

'Game Over, 'Failed' etc.

My main gripe is the sim shutting down when I've not completed a mission successfully. By all means say 'Failed' or whatever, but it quite nice to carry on and sort yourself out, thereby learning. The same applies when a mission is completed, don't shut down, give me chance to have a look around and think about what I've just done. I was shut down twice tonight because I was trying to sort out my controls and didn't respond to instructions quick enough.

I know how to fly, simulated and some real-life, and I've been at it for 17 years, but the 'get it wrong and you're finished' method is counter-productive.

The same comments apply to Train Simulator.

Rob J.

Rob Jones.

Sadly this is indicative of a product that is seen as a "game" by its creators and sponsors, not a simulation. By al means demerit within a career mode but at least in FSX if you put the nose into the tarmac, it reloads your last save for you.

This is typical DTG. In the train sim if you pass a red signal that's it. Game over and you have to start from square one each time.

11 hours ago, jonesrob said:

My main gripe is the sim shutting down when I've not completed a mission successfully. By all means say 'Failed' or whatever, but it quite nice to carry on and sort yourself out, thereby learning. The same applies when a mission is completed, don't shut down, give me chance to have a look around and think about what I've just done. I was shut down twice tonight because I was trying to sort out my controls and didn't respond to instructions quick enough.

I know how to fly, simulated and some real-life, and I've been at it for 17 years, but the 'get it wrong and you're finished' method is counter-productive.

The same comments apply to Train Simulator.

Rob J.

Surely you can practice the same scenario in Free Flight mode before attempting the Mission again?

2 hours ago, A32xx said:

Surely you can practice the same scenario in Free Flight mode before attempting the Mission again?

Of course, but that wasn't the point of the post.

Rob Jones.

6 hours ago, jonesrob said:

Of course, but that wasn't the point of the post.

No it certainly wasn't. On the other hand, trying to "sort out (your) controls" during a flight lesson isn't a very productive idea either, as you discovered.

Long before attempting any lessons or even "serious" flying, I take the time to set up and verify all of my controls are working and properly calibrated... :biggrin:

However, I do agree that the lessons need a bit more polish. I've suggested that they should add a "debrief" where a review of what went wrong and how to fix/improve performance would be realistic.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 hours ago, vololiberista said:

This is typical DTG. In the train sim if you pass a red signal that's it. Game over and you have to start from square one each time.

Oh boy do i remember that, and sometimes it gives you a game over, when you didn't make a mistake. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

No it certainly wasn't. On the other hand, trying to "sort out (your) controls" during a flight lesson isn't a very productive idea either, as you discovered.

Long before attempting any lessons or even "serious" flying, I take the time to set up and verify all of my controls are working and properly calibrated... :biggrin:

My controls were 'sorted' and calibrated; during the flight they became 'unsorted'...  17 years simming, I know what to do. Anyway, I've made my point.

Rob Jones.

Those hardware glitches are annoying and other sims are more forgiving. In AF2 yesterday I realised I could not turn my plane after flying for 10 minutes or so. I exited fiddled with settings and resumed my flight just where I left it. I did not have to save the flight or anything. I thought that was most impressive.

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Oh boy do i remember that, and sometimes it gives you a game over, when you didn't make a mistake. 

Or when a non player (AI) train decides to derail 50 miles away (or run a red signal).

The idea of a lesson is to apply some latitude so you actually learn, not be a blunt instrument. In line with their "gaming" paradigm perhaps DTG should apply "Easy", "Medium", "Hard" and "Legendary" (in homage to Fallout 4) levels to the lessons and tests to cater for both those who are struggling and software glitches.

14 hours ago, n4gix said:

However, I do agree that the lessons need a bit more polish. I've suggested that they should add a "debrief" where a review of what went wrong and how to fix/improve performance would be realistic.

The problem is though Bill, that the "instructor" also needs to be debriefed!!

8 hours ago, vololiberista said:

The problem is though Bill, that the "instructor" also needs to be debriefed!!

More like he should have his CI suspended and sent back to school! :biggrin:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

More like he should have his CI suspended and sent back to school! :biggrin:

Most certainly. Obviously in this kind of programme the instructions are fairly basic. But they need to be correct. One of the worst examples  in FSW is a PAN call for an engine failure on a single engine a/c. Doing that in your RT exam is an Instant fail! That is most definately a MAYDAY call.

People play these games, hear all this, then think to do it for real only to find out that what they thought was correct terminology was a load of rubbish.

If you haven't already reported that error to DTG, and any other mistakes like it, please do so!

• Upvote 1