Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

P3D V4 Nvidia Inspector Settings

This is mine http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00546262552437720991

I agree there's no need to tweak Nvidia Inspector settings. However, i just disabled some options that can hurt performance. I have no a idea if this is better then default nvidia profile, but i have impression(it could be subjective)that this profile solved stutters on my system(old system, weak GPU). Please report back if you try it

P.S. about locking FPS, if i lock my fps(internal, in P3D menu)to the value that i can mantain, P3D is realy smooth. I'm locking fps to 25 now, becouse i've read a lot on this subject, and 18-24 should be smooth(and by locking to 25 fps are allways between 24 and 25). Theoretically - It starts to be smooth from 18fps, and there's no need for more then 24 for human eye. However, there is a scientifically generally accepted thing that all gamers have more trained eye and they can detect long frames(stutters)at much higher FPS then normal(untrained)eye - no general rule on this. Now, about our sims(P3D), i tried some different things and my conclusion is that stutters we see are caused by scenery loading and not fps. The reason i belive this is that i can maintain 25 FPS(locked)on take off and i can see microstutters, but after i reach 2000-3000 feet, everything is smooth like a silk. I don't know how to explain this, but in my opinion it can be caused by sim engine or a hardware with a very demanding addons. My test was a flight in complex airliner between two complex addon airports with all ORBX Global things, AS2016+ASCA etc. I did a flight with FPS locked at 30, and then a second flight with FPS locked at 25. The second flight was more smooth, becouse i could maintain 25fps on take off and landing. Some stutters at airports in both scenarios, but less with the second - more like some microstutters if i look to the side.

The stutters are allways there if i get close to my VRAM / RAM limit, or my GPU is working at 100%, so it's about settings too.

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Interesting..  I do see less CPU usage on Core0 with external limiting than internal limiting..  so I'll fly with that for a while.

Thanks!

And.. having tried it, not sure it is quite as smooth as it was... so back to using the P3D internal limiter..

• Upvote 1

Bert

2 hours ago, lodestar said:

This is mine http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00546262552437720991

I agree there's no need to tweak Nvidia Inspector settings. However, i just disabled some options that can hurt performance. I have no a idea if this is better then default nvidia profile, but i have impression(it could be subjective)that this profile solved stutters on my system(old system, weak GPU). Please report back if you try it

P.S. about locking FPS, if i lock my fps(internal, in P3D menu)to the value that i can mantain, P3D is realy smooth. I'm locking fps to 25 now, becouse i've read a lot on this subject, and 18-24 should be smooth(and by locking to 25 fps are allways between 24 and 25). Theoretically - It starts to be smooth from 18fps, and there's no need for more then 24 for human eye. However, there is a scientifically generally accepted thing that all gamers have more trained eye and they can detect long frames(stutters)at much higher FPS then normal(untrained)eye - no general rule on this. Now, about our sims(P3D), i tried some different things and my conclusion is that stutters we see are caused by scenery loading and not fps. The reason i belive this is that i can maintain 25 FPS(locked)on take off and i can see microstutters, but after i reach 2000-3000 feet, everything is smooth like a silk. I don't know how to explain this, but in my opinion it can be caused by sim engine or a hardware with a very demanding addons. My test was a flight in complex airliner between two complex addon airports with all ORBX Global things, AS2016+ASCA etc. I did a flight with FPS locked at 30, and then a second flight with FPS locked at 25. The second flight was more smooth, becouse i could maintain 25fps on take off and landing. Some stutters at airports in both scenarios, but less with the second - more like some microstutters if i look to the side.

The stutters are allways there if i get close to my VRAM / RAM limit, or my GPU is working at 100%, so it's about settings too.

Wow, we have been through this 1000 times. 24 fps in in rendered video games is not the same as 24 fps in the movies. It's nothing to do with gamers eyes being better, it's all to do with interlacing and motion blur. Basically it's present in movies and not in graphical renderings. Feel free to look it up but that myth has been debunked many times over. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Wow, we have been through this 1000 times. 24 fps in in rendered video games is not the same as 24 fps in the movies. It's nothing to do with gamers eyes being better, it's all to do with interlacing and motion blur. Basically it's present in movies and not in graphical renderings. Feel free to look it up but that myth has been debunked many times over. 

Well, i've read some studies about this, and that was how i understand it. It was not about movies. I'll try to find the links tomorow if you are interested. Not that i belive everything i've read, but my P3D is realy smooth at 25fps. The thing is, i can't see the difference after i reach 2000-3000ft, but during take off and landings at addon airports(where i can't mantain 30fps), locked 25 fps(which i can mantain)is much smoother. If you can mantain 30fps(or higher), it will be smoother then 25, of course :happy:

I'll probably start the topic about this when more addons for V4 will be available, becouse i'm just testing now - still waiting for my addons to be available, and to buy some PMDG stuff(i have them all for FSX only)

http://gizmodo.com/why-frame-rate-matters-1675153198

Cameras in the real-world have what's called a shutter, which is open for a continuous range of time, determined by the "shutter angle" or "shutter speed". For instance a moving picture captured at 24 frames per second might have the shutter open for 0.02083 seconds per frame (1/48 of a second, or 180° shutter angle). This continuous interval of time captures and blends all motionhappening therein, leading to what we see as motion blur. 

Games on the other hand, render only an instantaneous moment of time. There is no equivalent interval where motion is recorded and blended, and instead you create what is essentially a crystal clear sample of the world at a particular instant -- something that is not possible in the real world. Because no motion is recorded in the rendered frame, movement on-screen can look jerky unless the frame rate is increased to compensate (by capturing more inbetween motion). By increasing frame rate you essentially converge on real life "frame rates", leaving us with the biological motion blur we get from our eyes (which are like shutters that are always open).

Though modern games feature "motion blur" now, this only captures motion blur under certain assumptions, and does not (yet) fully recreate the motion blur we see in film or in high-quality CGI renderings.

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a problem with 'jagged' edges in P3Dv4 (i.e. no Anti-aliasing) for the rotating / spinning vehicle (aircraft) in the preview window when selecting the vehicle?

I assume this has to do with in an game versus an external nVidia setting? 

(I generally use the P3Dv4 in game settings (except for the nVidia adaptive half refresh rate vsync (i.e. 60/2) as I limit P3Dv4 internal FPS to 31 with outstanding overall results, and I use some AA combinations using both P3Dv4 and nVidia.))

I have had this problem since I installed P3Dv4. Its similar to when using DX10 in FSX. 

Although not critical, is there any solution?

Cheers,

Rhett Kelly

Order Number: FSS0274286 (SteveFX's DX10 Scenery Fixer)

PC Specs: Intel i7 Haswell 4770K 3.4Ghz O/C to 4.3GHz CPU, GTX 780 3GB 256bit O/C, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 8.1 FSX:SE DX10

15 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can set it all in P3D Options:

FXAA off,  Anisotropic 8X filtering, 4XSSAA, Vsynch on, Framerate: your choice (I use 30).

No need for Nvidia Inspector, unlike FSX.

Hi Bert.

So can I confirm this is the best setting please.  

I downloaded and installed the new ndvivia drivers yesterday and now my menu text seems blurrey, and I got a NTD.dll ctd last night 

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

There is no "best setting" that I am aware of.. it depends on your system and your priorities..

Personally, I am happy with 2048 resolution, and have Vsynch on, and fps limited at 30.

If the latest nvidia drivers cause problems, go back to an earlier version.

I am still on 337.88

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

There is no "best setting" that I am aware of.. it depends on your system and your priorities..

Personally, I am happy with 2048 resolution, and have Vsynch on, and fps limited at 30.

If the latest nvidia drivers cause problems, go back to an earlier version.

I am still on 337.88

Whats issue bert

14ppkc-6.png

31 minutes ago, tooting said:

Whats issue bert

Pardon?

Bert

The issue with the new ndivia drivers.  Sorry just finished a trot of 4 double shifts.  my spelling as normal is terrible

14ppkc-6.png

13 hours ago, Rhett said:

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a problem with 'jagged' edges in P3Dv4 (i.e. no Anti-aliasing) for the rotating / spinning vehicle (aircraft) in the preview window when selecting the vehicle?

I assume this has to do with in an game versus an external nVidia setting? 

(I generally use the P3Dv4 in game settings (except for the nVidia adaptive half refresh rate vsync (i.e. 60/2) as I limit P3Dv4 internal FPS to 31 with outstanding overall results, and I use some AA combinations using both P3Dv4 and nVidia.))

I have had this problem since I installed P3Dv4. Its similar to when using DX10 in FSX. 

Although not critical, is there any solution?

Cheers,

I do too, nothing I've tried changes it. All ok though for me when actually flying in the sim.

2 hours ago, tooting said:

The issue with the new ndivia drivers.  Sorry just finished a trot of 4 double shifts.  my spelling as normal is terrible

He said "if" there's problems, don't think he was referring to any specific issues with the current set :)

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

14 hours ago, Rhett said:

I believe this is the way it is.. no way of changing it.

Bert

14 hours ago, Rhett said:

I suspect that no-one at LM thought that anyone would be looking at that for long enough to realise there's no antialiasing

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.