Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

XP11 - South Africa site seeing

Africa is not normally a place I would fly in, but after @HumptyDumpty recommended it, I'm now hooked and I don't know what I've been missing :)

Here is a short flight around Kruger national park. The scenery here is fantastic, and was generated with Ortho4XP using AWOS hi-res mesh. I also added my own tree layer to give the scenery a sense of depth. Getting nice smooth frames throughout as well

Cessna_172SP_2

Cessna_172SP_4

Cessna_172SP_5

Cessna_172SP_6

Cessna_172SP_7

Cessna_172SP_8

Cessna_172SP_9
Cessna_172SP_10

Cessna_172SP_11

Cessna_172SP_12

Cessna_172SP_13

Cessna_172SP_14

Cessna_172SP_15

Cessna_172SP_16

Cessna_172SP_17

Cessna_172SP_18

Cessna_172SP_19

Cessna_172SP_20

Cessna_172SP_21

Cessna_172SP_22

• Upvote 6

stunning , something needs to be done about the trees. to make it unique would be worth the effort to get African trees

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Excellent work and great shots! Which map sevice did you use? Africa is one of my favorite continents and i´d love to fly there. 

I used Arc, which seems the best in the area.

7 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Was that a Zebra down there?:)

Actually, I did spot a herd of animals, such is the detail on these orthos.

....so Mitch, Africa awaits your next 20TB storage farm :)

Hello Tony, amazing shots!

Could you explain what you mean " I also added my own tree layer to give the scenery a sense of depth." ?

Thanks!

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Yep, I have written a tool that tries to find trees on Ortho4XP tiles and makes a scenery. The limitation is that obviously it has no idea what is a tree or a shrub, etc.. but it certainly adds a 3D element to otherwise flat looking ortho tiles, so generally I can live with it :)

your tree tool seems to be working very well.  very nice shots.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Yep, I have written a tool that tries to find trees on Ortho4XP tiles and makes a scenery. The limitation is that obviously it has no idea what is a tree or a shrub, etc.. but it certainly adds a 3D element to otherwise flat looking ortho tiles, so generally I can live with it :)

Anyway someone could persuade you to share this tool ? (But probably that someone must know how to set it up correctly, I would not blame you if you do not want to get bothered with more support requests).

As usual, nice shots ! Africa really is neglected too often, also in the flysim world.

I intended to add it to Ortho4XP as an extra tool. The hard part is that users will need to mark a few areas for each tile to say where the trees are and then the program does the rest. If there is a lot of discolouration in the tile, it is more difficult, and it won't work on tiles where the colour difference between trees and surrounding terrain is too little, or in fall/winter.

Either way, I either get wonderful results, or exceptionally bad. I've had some great results in New York and Philadelphia.

Those trees really make the scenery.  Hoping to have the opportunity to try this out soon :wink:.  The default tree overlays are all over the place in some areas, so anything that can improve tree placement will make a huge difference in immersion.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Lovely set!

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.