Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Help with CTD !!

I have recently begun to experience a crash upon landing no matter what aircraft I use. I'm running Active Sky6 and RC4 when this happens but it just startedto happen a few days ago. I have removed a few aircraft that I had installed in the last week to see if that would help but it didn't I deleted FS9 config and let it rebuild and no change. I also rolled back my machine to a point I had saved where everythingworked just fine and no help. I get the pop up window with the error msg that there was a problemwith the fe.dll file. Other than uninstalling and reinstalling FS9 I'm not sure how to solve the problem. I ran DirectX diagnostics and everything looks fine. Just before the crash about 20' above touchdown I lose sound and allinstrments cease to work. If I push the Q key sound returns and I'm able to land still with no functional instrements. Is it possible that fe.dll is corrupt?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Craigftd1949@cox.net

Not sure what the date is or how to find it. In the pop up error window the timestamp was 0x4135a208

Browse the folder FE.DLL is contained in (I believe in the Flight Simulator 9/Modules folder) using explorer and select "View", then "Details". You'll see a date and time displayed next to the dll file--that's what I mean by date/timestamp.-John

That's today--are you looking at the date/timestamp next to the file, or looking at the date/time in your taskbar?-John

this is how its shows FE.DLL 100Kb Application Extension 2/7/2006 10:16 John..if you have any ideas please feel free to email me at ftd1949@cox.net. Thanks in advance. Hate the thought of uninstall and reinstall.

I want to keep this public vs. discussing it via email, since it will help others and others can also provide input.It sure seems like something has modified this file. If you "right click" the dll and choose "Properties", then click the "Version" tab, you can see who the copyright holder, version, etc of this file is. What do you see when you try that?-John

File version: 9.1.0.40901 Description: Microsoft Flight Simulator Module Copyright: Copyright

It looks like the FE.DLL from the 9.1 update. The date/timestamp is odd--it shouldn't be today. Your Explorer view may be showing the last accessed date vs. the last modified date. Have you installed any scenery, or otherwise updated the sim, just before this started happening? Or, have you changed your flying patterns in any way, so that you're flying over a part of the world you haven't flown in before?-John

I installed VOZ Australia about 2 weeks ago thats it. It worked fine until yesterday. This happens when using Active Sky6, RC4. Im also using Ultimate Traffic. But again it was fine until yesterday. The only thing I have done was to update AI Aircraft textures in Ultimate Traffic. I scoured the forums and believe I did see something about textures and the FE.dll file. I've tried to duplicate the problem but the only time it happens is when I fly the whole flightplan from start to finish using RC4. I've tried the same landing at KCLT with just FS running, with just Active Sky running and with AS and RC running and it doesn't happen. I'm baffled.

Just out of curiosity, do you have "Render to Texture" on or off in your Display/Hardware settings? If it's off, turn it on.-John

>> This happens when using Active Sky6, RC4. Im also using Ultimate >> Traffic. But again it was fine until yesterday.>> The only thing I have done was to update AI Aircraft textures in>> Ultimate Traffic.Bad AI textures can cause a CTD, so if you updated UT with some bad AI textures, then you might get unpredictable CTD based on whether the problematic AI aircraft is scheduled to show up (e.g. parked at the ramp) at an airport *when* you're landing at that airport.Here's an interesting thread, there's more like them: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=293807

It sounds like Clipper is headed in the right direction on this. You can probably prove it's related to AI or not by turning AI off, then trying the flight.-John