Sign in to follow this  
larsras05

Move the GTN750 to the 2nd monitor?

Before I buy I would like to know the answer to this.  I hope its simple like other windows in XP.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I believe Reality XP is still waiting for the SDK so they can make this feature possible.

Joe

Hello all,

Is XPlane EVER going to support docking/undocking panels or screens. I would be in Aeroplane Heaven (sorry about that) if I could run XPlane like FS9 with my six monitors.

I have seen videos of XPlane using 4 monitors but it was similar to triplehead2go set up with a forward view stretched over three monitors and a screen for the VC.

If docking/undocking panels are not being contemplated is there an alternative that will allow me to utilise my current configuration.

If ANYONE can give me a definitive answer for this question, I would hugely appreciate the information.

Regards to you all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Tony,

X-Plane 11 does support undocking windows, certain items like the Default GPS can be undocked and moved to a separate monitor.  In addition if you are looking at setting up your monitors to display a different view out of the cockpit you can do that in the display settings.  

The GPS is the only item I have undocked so I am not sure if there are other windows that can be or not. Hope this helped!

Joseph,

Well that is certainly good news and very much contrary to scuttlebutt that I am/was aware of.

Again, on second thoughts, I guess it is up to the aircraft or utilities developers to provide the instrument panels etc, ie pop-ups, that I require for undocking to other screens.

Will have to try that when I get my computer back (power fail took out my PSU)

Thanks very much for this information.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

SO I have just wasted my money on a touchscreen monitor, and the GTN 750.... :-(

I was aware of that plane developers was not able to move instruments off the X-Plane screen (they can not even move instruments off the main X-plane monitor in e.g a 3 triple monitor system), but actually I was quite sure that the GTN 750 was an external component which did not have those bounds.

Very disappointing!

I hope laminar will get this issue resolved asap

it will be fantastic use the gtn on a touch screen in xplane !!

LARSRAS05,

I wouldn't say you wasted your money. From what I have read in the past threads, this is a feature RXP is looking to add once they get the SDK.

• Upvote 1

I concur, we are waiting for the SDK to support this, and X-Plane developers said they will update the SDK with the "detachable" windows feature added during the summer.

Of course you are right, nothing should prevent us from displaying our own standalone Windows window, separate from X-Plane's window, with our own message loop, etc...

We just rather have this feature supported by the simulator itself, so as to make sure our customer experiences seamlessly blends with X-Plane's features, such as 'remembering' the monitor and the location of the window from last session, or such as making sure the GPU is not 'split' apart too many processes in parallel (1 side for X-Plane's window, another side for the GTN window etc...).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

RXP,,

Without getting too technically involved, can you please explain roughly what is involved in making a screen "detachable"

Is it a long, involved and difficult process? From an aircraft devs point of view, I cannot imagine that it would be, particularly if a "pop-up" (lets use FMC for an example) provides a larger and movable screen version of that FMC. I would further envisage, that if that is provided by the dev, then how hard is it to actually make that "pop-up" detachable to another display or screen?

I do know, or rather assume, that many simmers use and love multiple displays, however most of them only want  to display an extended forward view over two or three monitors with some also requiring a screen for the VC. This is incredibly easy to achieve with P3d, FSX etc although with some (read incredible) inpediment to frame rates. I do not yet know  if this is still applicable to 64bit platforms ie frame rate drops. I further realize that utilizing 6 or more monitors or displays is a requirement for very few of us and it may well be that it is entirely impractical for XPlane itself to incorporate into their sim given the unknown numbers who really would like it available.

As a developer with a reputable input to our sims, I wonder if you could provide an insight to this for me.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

20 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I would further envisage, that if that is provided by the dev, then how hard is it to actually make that "pop-up" detachable to another display or screen?

You are perfectly right: IF that is provided by the dev. It is not provided yet though...

Once provided, it shall be as easy for us to support the "detachable" window as it is for XP11 to provide detachable windows for its own GPS/FMS/MAP.

Of course, what is "easy" from a user perspective, is intimately very "complex" from a dev perspective. For that matter, this involves a large rewrite of XP11 SDK and plugin handling for most "graphics" related APIs. These are the APIs which permits a plugin to "define" and "use" a popup window in XP11 for example.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Jean-Luc,

Thank you for your informative reply. 

I understand that if it is relatively easy for you as a 3PD, to provide that "detachable" facility. BUT ... difficult for LR to incorporate into XPlane.

Does anyone know if

1. LR are actually working on this facility

2. how far advanced the are with this process, (if they are), and,

3. if they are not, how likely are they to incorporate the docking/undocking process?

If anyone can help with this information I would greatly appreciate it.

Another thought, and I have expressed this before, is the use of trackir and or VR in the near future.  Would I in fact, be better off pursuing this aspect  in lieu of the multi monitor process. One point to make is that if starting from a fresh platform, it would actually be cheaper to utilise VR as opposed to 6 tv/monitors with Trackir even cheaper still. However, I have already invested in the monitors and have grown to truly love my existing set up.

As such this is not a deal breaker for me (I already own XPlane 10 and !!) but I simply do not use it, despite the incredible graphics and the increasing use of Ortho4xp. I am however, in the process of exploring Ortho and downloading tiles for future. use.

Thanks again to all who are listening and or reading LOL

Regards

Tony  

Tony Chilcott.

30 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I understand that if it is relatively easy for you as a 3PD, to provide that "detachable" facility. BUT ... difficult for LR to incorporate into XPlane.

It is not a matter of difficulty, in both case it is easy. The hardest part for LR is how to provide such feature so that any previously developed plugin still continues to work even if detached.

It is one thing to manage a 'rendering context' in the sim window, and let plugins 'tap' into this rendering context to render their graphics, and another thing to manage 'virtual' rendering contexts which are 'attached' agnostic to the plugin.

Yes they are working on this, we have also been providing our input about this, and they have even publicly said (in their blog) it is supposed to be done over the summer along with XP11.1 and the new SDK!

Jean-Luc,

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAA.

That is great news and music to my ears. Thank you so much for this. I am really really looking forward to using XPlane 11 to its fullest and this information points to an earlier adoption than I thought possible.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.