Sign in to follow this  
larsras05

Move the GTN750 to the 2nd monitor?

Greetings all,

I've been trying to transition from FSX to X-Plane 11 for the last six months or so. There are three areas that are "Must Have" in order for me to use X-Plane;

1. GoFlight module support. (A couple third party developers have taken care of this)

2. Flight Simulator Flight Keeper (FSFK) support. (I'll really miss the ACARS support, but the flight logging works with XPWideClient)

3. A working GTN750.

So I'm at 2.5 done. 

When I first used the 750 from another developer I just fell head over heals for it. I purchased a 10" touch screen just for the 750. I think it's a great addition to any library of add-ons. I stopped short of purchasing the 750 from RXP because of the multi-monitor issue. I really hope this gets resolved soon. 

Has anyone found a workaround in the mean time to get the 750 attached to a second monitor?

From the looks of the RXP site, the 750 is a work of art and look forward to getting it. 

Thanks,

-Matt

On July 30, 2017 at 8:10 PM, MattM1121 said:

From the looks of the RXP site, the 750 is a work of art and look forward to getting it. 

Thank you for your kind words! The "detachable window" feature will come once X-Plane developers release their update X-Plane SDK with support for this!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

You'll notice in say the MD-80 that the FMS can be popped-out and moved to other physical monitors. I asked about this and was told that Laminar hasn't released the API yet to enable moving a popped-out window to another monitor.

Yeah, you can 'pop-out' the 2D default GNS units, the sectional chart, - anything native to X-plane.  Laminar just hasn't released the SDK for outside developers to use these features.

• Upvote 1

Evan Purcell

Hi, any update in this one? Looks like can be a big improvement be able to detach the GTN and move to a touchscreen

12 hours ago, myanezt said:

Hi, any update in this one?

Well, ten days ago: "Laminar just hasn't released the SDK for outside developers to use these features."

We'd have to wait they publish the updated SDK. Best place to look for this is:

http://developer.x-plane.com

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

It seems there are some delays at LR after a disk-backup issue with 11.05.   I ams sure they will get the V3 SDK out as soon as it is stabilised.

Moving to another monitor is certainly a key topic. I won't mention my desperate need for the G1000 here :)

Moving the 750 to a second monitor will make it useable for many of us.  I have disabled it for the moment, in spite of its beauty and functionality, it's in the way...

meach

Thank you for the heads up, hopefully the SDK is near, but don't expect a magical 1,2,3 voila the popup windows! We'll have to test and make sure all is functional (in addition to being forced to distribute 2 different plugins now: XP11 and XP10/9)

Another throught occurs to me....

I have the Garmin 750 trainer on my iPad (Along with R/W garmin stuff that connects to the systems in the a/c).

Besides in the a/c, I can also use many apps on the iPad to connect to x-plane.   Might it be possible to connect the Garmin iPad trainer to x-plane?  This would not only solve the pop-up screen issue, but would turn the ipad into a touch-screen 650/750.

You have the expertise between the trainer and x-plane/P3D/FSX through their interfaces.  Maybe you can use the same know-how to talk from the iPad based trainer?

I admit to being pilot, not programmer, so if this idea is rubbish I willingly accept I am wrong. It's a neat thought though?

BTW, the backup problem at LR is solved and beta 11.05 is released. I assume this means that resources are now freed up for the SDK work.

Kind regards,

meach

Hi Meach,

This sounds good an idea, unfortunately, our simulation solution requires getting deep into the trainer process, and the IOS sandboxing wouldn't allow this as-is.

Having just finished phase 1 of my PA28 home cockpit build, I currently have the default GNS undocked and parked on a small separate HDMI screen. This provides some basic position info and of course the COM1 radio. 

I really want to move to the GTN750 running undocked on a touch screen. As I don't use the virtual cockpit, I had hoped I'd be able to run the GTN in a window and position it on the touchscreen on my instrument panel... I'm glad I found this thread before purchasing. To be able to do COM, NAV and XPDR using the touchscreen and without needing to wire in more physical switches would be lovely :)

So hopefully I'll be able to change this soon!

LAjxldKm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you for this!

I never ceased to be amazed in how many different and creative way our customers use our products! I certainly like a lot of these cockpits.

8 hours ago, RXP said:

Thank you for this!

I never ceased to be amazed in how many different and creative way our customers use our products! I certainly like a lot of these cockpits.

Thank you! 

Do you have a roadmap for when I may be able to run the GTN touch in a window on a touchscreen? It would finish off a huge chunk of my builds easily - and really cool too! The touch keypad is fantastic! 

Hi Richard, ETA for this feature depends both on the availability of the next X-Plane SDK, and our evaluation/integration of the new feature.