Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

Large .DEM files?

Hi PMDG staff,

While my Prepar3d installation is located on a seperate drive from my System (C:) I have found a folder called "PMDG" just on my C: drive. It inclueds six folders (DEM, dlls, ICONS, NavData, PMDG 737 NGX, SIDSTARS) that have recently been changed. The PMDG OC is located at C:Programm Files (x68) and as I have mentioned before my Prepar3d installation is on P:. I have uninstalled the 737 for previous versions of P3D via the Control Panel before I have switched to P3Dv4 and DO have installed the 777 (both) and 747.

Inside the DEM folder there are 27 .DEN files with a size of 56,250KB each. 

Are those files backups (as there is this 737 folder) that COULD be deleted (I for sure haven't copied them intentionally) or are these files required by the OC or the airplanes? The DEM folder in the Prepar3d PMDG folder contains the same files, doesn't it?

Greets and thanks in advance,

Marc

The PMDG files should be installed to your simulator's root folder on the P: drive.  You didn't mention if you have PMDG folders and files under P:\ <P3dv?>\ root folder so it's hard to provide a good answer.  Are you by any chance using the Estonia Migration Tool?  I have few guesses as to why you have PMDG stuff on C: other than the OC which does belong there.

The DEM files are used by the PMDG aircrafts gpws among other things.  If you have a DEM folder under PMDG on the P drive ..... okay,  your question is starting to make a little bit of sense, .... then yes the stuff on P that isn't OC is throw away probably... depending on how it got there.

Dan Downs KCRP

Aren't they the files for Terrain on the ND?

David Porrett

1 hour ago, downscc said:

The PMDG files should be installed to your simulator's root folder on the P: drive.  You didn't mention if you have PMDG folders and files under P:\ <P3dv?>\ root folder so it's hard to provide a good answer.  Are you by any chance using the Estonia Migration Tool?  I have few guesses as to why you have PMDG stuff on C: other than the OC which does belong there.

The DEM files are used by the PMDG aircrafts gpws among other things.  If you have a DEM folder under PMDG on the P drive ..... okay,  your question is starting to make a little bit of sense, .... then yes the stuff on P that isn't OC is throw away probably... depending on how it got there.

Hi,

no, never used the migration tool or anythinh similar and yes, the pmdg folder in my prepar3d root folder is complete and running fine (as my 777 and 747 work perfectly). What made me wonder is the fact that NORMALLY no folders should be moved directly to C:\\ if not done manually. But the files inside were recently changed on june 22nd 2017, the 737 ones in 2015. I'm on my mobile phone now so I cant deliver any better information but I am very sure that I have not moved that folder there intentionally 😂 But as the files together have a size of 1,5GB I'd be glad to remove them if not needed... But as there have been made several changes and updates to the aurplanes and the OC by PMDG themselves I wanted to be sure before I mess up my simulation lol...

I'd delete the folder and test.  If all works then you can later empty the recycle bin or whatever its called.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP