Sign in to follow this  
Rhett

FXAA: P3Dv4 vs nVidia controlled

Hi there,

Just bought PTA and it really lives up to its promises! Thanks. The autogen initially looked way too bright and strange at dawn/dusk until I realized I had to ensure that the buildings and vegetation were set to receive shadows - then it looked phenomenal. 

Regarding FXAA, the PTA notes indicate that FXAA should be on in P3D (understandably). 

However, some have reported that using nVidia to control FXAA is better.

My question is whether or not the PTA FXAA tweaks will still work if FXAA is controlled externally by nVidia (i.e. turned on) but with FXAA set to off (untucked) in sim? Or am I asking a silly question?

Thanks in advance,

Rhett. 

Rhett Kelly

Order Number: FSS0274286 (SteveFX's DX10 Scenery Fixer)

PC Specs: Intel i7 Haswell 4770K 3.4Ghz O/C to 4.3GHz CPU, GTX 780 3GB 256bit O/C, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 8.1 FSX:SE DX10

1 hour ago, Rhett said:

However, some have reported that using nVidia to control FXAA is better.

My question is whether or not the PTA FXAA tweaks will still work if FXAA is controlled externally by nVidia (i.e. turned on) but with FXAA set to off (untucked) in sim? Or am I asking a silly question?

My understanding is that you have FXAA turned off in P3D, but that you set AA to something similar in NVI. For instance, I have mine set to "4xMSAA" in P3D and "4x4 Supersampling" plus "4xSGSS" in NVI.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Hi Adam. 

Those are almost the same as my settings. I use 4xMSAA in P3D and only 4xSGSS in NVI. Don't have the 4x4 supersampling on in NVI.  I have not yet turned on FXAA in P3Dv4 nor in NVI - hence my query. If I did turn it on (as 'suggested' by PTA using Matt Davies preset 1.1 supplied with the package), which would be better or am I splitting hairs?

Many thanks.

Rhett  

Rhett Kelly

PC Specs: Intel i7 Haswell 4770K 3.4Ghz O/C to 4.3GHz CPU, GTX 780 3GB 256bit O/C, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 8.1 FSX:SE DX10

Hmmm ... I'm not sure about Matt's advice. I'm no expert, but I thought FXAA in P3D applies A/A globally - across the whole screen - and so you lose clarity (and FPS). MSAA is better as it's more selective, I think. I suppose the proof is in the pudding - try it either way and see if you notice any substantil difference in visuals or performance.

Adam.

• Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Hi Adam. 

I have played around and it 'seems' better to turn off FXAA in NVI and control it in P3D. 

Thanks for your help. 

Rhett. 

• Upvote 1

Rhett Kelly

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.